Quantcast
Underage Drinking and Driving - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Underage Drinking and Driving

Default Underage Drinking and Driving

okay here's the situation.

I am the designated driver. Age 16, underage.

and we're at a party my friends are drinking (also underage) and its time to go home. so while we are driving i get pulled over for...a burnt out bulb. My friends have done nothing bad, just drunk and dosing off in the back, the officer smells the alcohol from my friends. he asks me for a breathalizer i give it to him and it reads 0% or whatever.

soo here is my question, are there any consequences to me (the driver)? im pretty sure my friends can't get a ticket for being drunk in public. but for the driver is there any law that I can't be driving underaged drunks, while I'm underaged as well? what can happen? license suspended? fines? etc etc.

yes, yes i know we're not suppose to be drinking at this age, but really who doesnt?

thanx in advance.

edit: I have not been drinking in this situation.
    Last edited by l/l/rX; 01-29-2004 at 12:26 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

well did the cops give you a ticket or is this just a hypothetical situation?

I'm pretty sure if you have 0% in your system then there is no problem. Any decent cop would congratulate you for being DD.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by davidI

I'm pretty sure if you have 0% in your system then there is no problem. Any decent cop would congratulate you for being DD.

Yeah I agree...but then the officer could also turn it around and make your life hell for a couple of hours if he/she wanted to...

But I mean as long as you read as 0% should be kosher...
    ...@therealarifjina...

No they wont do anything to you, and i'm pretty sure there are no fines or suspensions for it., and i dont think a cop will make your life a living hell, i havent met a jack ass of a cop in a long time. If anything he would compliment you david said.
    Originally posted by Dumbass17
    what's an Egypt?
    Originally posted by Godfuader

Its the slang for being Electronically Jipped . Like going to an ATM and getting short changed. "You got E-Gypt"

Originally posted by davidI

this is a hypothetical situation.

just wondering because my dad's like "just think about it do you really want to have you license suspended, just because your friends were drunk?" soo now he doesnt let me drive when i go out at night. i guess that's why i need to invest into my own car. but meh im just a poor student, can't do anyting about it got to live by the rules for now...

my point to last my last post is...i need to prove him wrong. with some hard evidence. like a site that actually says it. i already told him i was PRETTY SURE (not being 100%) and hes like pretty sure isn't good enough AHA. it's one swift kick in the ass. a site would be appreciated if anyone knows of one thanx.

also there is a story behind this, and why it was brought up etc etc. just not important.

Congrats on being the DD and a responsible driver.

I think your dad should reconsider not letting you drive. If I found out my son got pulled over by the cops, given a breathalyzer, and blew 0%, while friends who have been drinking are the passengers, I would be quite happy. Given the option of my son not having a car, and potentially catching a ride with someone with a few drinks in them.

I have seen personally what can happen when it is the other way around. ie. tragedies where people get a ride with someone who is DUI.

Also, if it was your dad pulled over, and not you. Let's say he had come to pick you and your friends up after you have been drinking. Should he then get his license suspended because he has inebriated teens in his car?

Or the cab driver who comes to pick you and your friends up. If he gets pulled over for a broken tail light, and the cop sees under age passengers who are drunk, does he lose his license? How are the rules any different for you than for them?

i tried looking for a site for you but ended up with no luck, i know that there is book that has all laws and things a cop has the right to do with you, try to look for it if you get the chance, it'll help you with your case. If you have legal studies at your school it'll be there.
    Originally posted by Dumbass17
    what's an Egypt?
    Originally posted by Godfuader

Its the slang for being Electronically Jipped . Like going to an ATM and getting short changed. "You got E-Gypt"

My Ride
    Denali

good job on being the DD... that impresses the hell out of me, as opposed to punks who think it is cool to drink and drive...

very mature if you ask me

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by xrayvsn

Also, if it was your dad pulled over, and not you. Let's say he had come to pick you and your friends up after you have been drinking. Should he then get his license suspended because he has inebriated teens in his car?

Or the cab driver who comes to pick you and your friends up. If he gets pulled over for a broken tail light, and the cop sees under age passengers who are drunk, does he lose his license? How are the rules any different for you than for them?

You did nothing wrong, so how could you get in trouble...as long as there not drinking in your car, or open booze, or accesable booze, your fine, you can just say, i didnt know they were drinking.....tell your dad, having you not drive, puts ur life in the hands of another dd, which might not be as responsible as you.

Originally posted by xrayvsn

well...you see those are all people over 18. i don't know really, my dad just THINKS it's different for someone under the age of 18 to be driving home other under aged drunks. beats the hell out of me. that's why im here to ask aha

o yea is GDL a factor? sorries for the questions.

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION aha don't want to be receiving any credit yet. although they are nice

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Technically, it's not illegal. You cannot get a ticket for the condition of your passengers, EXCEPT seatbelt tickets, if your passengers are under 18, you get the ticket, even if YOU are under 18 (seriously not cool, should be 16, just like DL).
    As long as you're not drunk, you're clear. Especially if you tell the officer you were the responsible one, driving your 'moron' friends home =)
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    a wrx.

hey man, u are seriously the only cool 16 year old i know.

My Ride
    89 civic si & TBA

dude show this page to your dad and he can see how we feel. congrats on the clean night. if anything he should be happy that you were not drinking and driving.
    - nate

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Well done on showing responsibilty .

This might help...

http://www.ipromiseprogram.com/

And don't give the cops a reason to pull you over. I'm amazed at the number of cars on the road with burnt out bulbs. Buying a bulb is a lot cheaper than paying a fine !!
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    Highlander

My brother had this happen to him...he had another hook though, he had no choice but to be the DD and he didnt even have a license...he had the owner of the car and 3 others that were imparied in the car and because of the party they were at, my brother decided it best to leave with them...so he drove. (Yes, I know, not the smartest, but this does have a point) Anyways, he got pulled over and the cop found out he had no license but was only doing it because he was worried about his friends trying or maybe attempting to drive while drunk. He wasnt far from home at all (within a few kilometers) so the cop congratulated him and sent him on his way, telling him not to do this again.

P.S. He told the cop that we had lived on a farm and therefore had lots of driving experience (which for us is partially true cause my grandparents own a ranch) and I think that's why the cop let him go. He didnt get pulled over for breaking the law, it was something similar to a bulb or something

My Ride
    2001 Corolla

Good question, in Ontario you would not get a fine at all, they'd let you go, and probably give the guys underage a warning... if you want good advice call the police info line, i'm sure they won't mind giving you some information, after all thats what they get paid for.

As long as your drunk friends arent being loud and disruptive and remain calm.

They might get a warning for drinking, but thats about it.

If your friends are all retarded and rowdy... they could get a ticket for underage drinking.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Zero102
    Technically, it's not illegal. You cannot get a ticket for the condition of your passengers, EXCEPT seatbelt tickets, if your passengers are under 18, you get the ticket, even if YOU are under 18 (seriously not cool, should be 16, just like DL).
    As long as you're not drunk, you're clear. Especially if you tell the officer you were the responsible one, driving your 'moron' friends home =)
    no, people 16 and over get the ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. I think if you blow 0, the officer knows your responsible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast