Quantcast
Li-Ao Sushi - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Li-Ao Sushi

Default Li-Ao Sushi

if you guys like kinjo, this place is owned and operated by 2 guys that used to work at kinjo! this place just opened up last week and the wife and i are glad we stopped by.

no, we are not affiliated with this place. we're just happy that a sushi place opened up in the bridlewood/evergreen area.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

I was there the other night. I quite enjoyed the sushi, as well as the entertainment value.

+1 to this place

My Ride
    Lease

Default Re: Li-Ao Sushi

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    if you guys like kinjo, this place is owned and operated by 2 guys that used to work at kinjo! this place just opened up last week and the wife and i are glad we stopped by.

no, we are not affiliated with this place. we're just happy that a sushi place opened up in the bridlewood/evergreen area.
    Address?

When you first said Kinjo's guys, I thought it was that huge sushi place across the street on Macleod. (where Harvey's used to be)

Li-Ao Sushi
    (403) 719-9668
    231-2335 162 Ave SW
    Calgary,AB
    T2Y4G9

i actually just called for pick-up. i've been here 4 times this week. ffuuu!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Lease

Went here with some white friends... It's just two doors down from a Chinese restaurant called "Brothers"

Anyways, it's tiny, compact and IMO not a well thought out layout (but for the tiny space, they probably had to make do). Looks like typical Chinese owner ran place, but great money maker for them, tons of community take-out/pickup.

Not a cozy place or feel for sit down.

Today was busy, so the service was kinda shitty. Table given was so dirty, lol. They didn't even had time to wipe, or even noticed, lol.

However, the reviews are correct, the portions are big. I'm not sure on the pricing, cuz the couple paid.

And as other mentioned, I guess the free "PORKY" chocolate incentive was a carry over from their Kinjo days.

But honestly, if I had a choice in South Sushi places, it'd be either Ginza... or Yume (Avendia mall within Tim Hortons/Original Joe's/Papa John's/Ricky's)

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I went to this place a few times, and usually go there from now on since its like 2 min away from my place. it isn't the best but its very convenient and is pretty good...now that I think of it...I know what I am having for dinner on thur!

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

The sashimi portions here are huge.

My Ride
    rally pig

damn that's way in the deep south but is that toro on the pic any good?
    if it is, then it might be worth a trip

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by taemo
    damn that's way in the deep south but is that toro on the pic any good?
    if it is, then it might be worth a trip
    What's a toro? (bottom left or right?) Sry, i'm just a eat what's in front of my face kinda person.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

What's a toro? (bottom left or right?) Sry, i'm just a eat what's in front of my face kinda person.
    Toro is bluefin belly tuna, fatty, marbled. Looks like snapper in the pic tho

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by diamondedge

That's the bottom left, cuz the buddy did tell me it's tuna belly. Yea, that was nice soft and buttery.

Li-Ao served me frozen toro and their rolls are kinda bland and small, but the owners are super nice and the portions of sashimi are large. If you're a fan of Ginza then I suggest Sushi Me in Midnapore Mall. Service can be a little slow but everything is as delicious and more consistent. I got two bad meals in a row, followed by a mediocre meal, at Ginza and decided it wasn't worth it to drive all the way up there anymore. The only thing I miss is the smoked salmon special

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    Li-Ao served me frozen toro..
    Funny, I never experienced frozen sushi (can feel the ice crystals) until I went to Sakana Grill last week. We arrived at 11 and the bar was still preparing, but still, one would think they would do a test themselves first before the fish ends up on the belt. Haven't been to Sakana for like 5 years prior to last week, and found their sushi just ehh, as there are a ton of better places around (including Li-Ao). Haven't had problems with Li-Ao yet, but only been there 3 times and all times were pretty good.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by diamondedge

it is NOT blue fin

and +1 on the decline of ginza. pisses me off cause i use to talk it up so much, then i would go there and it would suck... only so many times i could use the "weird, must be an off night" excuse

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by ercchry

it is NOT blue fin
    Sure it is.. The maguro served in Japan is blue fin looks like this:

We get stuck with the crappier albacore, which they call shiro maguro. And what we get as maguro (usually appears as "red tuna" on menus) is usually yellow fin (which I don't like as I find it quite fishy).
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

well yeah, toro CAN be blue fin. but the "toro" you see on every menu in town sure as shit isnt. its just normal fatty tuna belly

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I never eat "toro" at medium to low end sushi joints. They usually suck and barely pass as toro. Not worth it at all.

Plus it depends how it was prepped too. I've had normal tuna taste way creamier and delicious than a poorly prepped toro. Calgary is so inconsistent I hate it.

My Ride

Just a heads up, Li-Ao is closed until Jan 14th Made a list to call in my order yesterday, no one answered so I figured it was super busy, so decided to drive in and order and just wait to take it home (wife wasn't feeling well to go out). Arrived there, and all the windows are taped up and a note saying that they are doing renovations from Jan 3rd to 14th. Wonder what its going to be like once its done, can only do so much with a small space like that.

Went out to Yume sushi instead....came home very disappointed.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by ercchry
    well yeah, toro CAN be blue fin. but the "toro" you see on every menu in town sure as shit isnt. its just normal fatty tuna belly
    Yeah we usually get albacore I think. I agree though. The tuna here sucks so much that my preferred fish is hamachi (usually really good at reputable places) and salmon (also usually good - heck this is Canada's signature fish).
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

baby hamachi

i like saba too, but last time i was at li-ao they didnt take the outer skin off

butterfish is pretty tasty too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast