Quantcast
Mayweather calls out Pacquiao - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather calls out Pacquiao

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Mayweather calls out Pacquiao

LAS VEGAS—Floyd Mayweather Jr. has taken his quest for a fight with Manny Pacquiao to Twitter.

The unbeaten Mayweather publicly challenged and taunted the Filipino superstar on Tuesday, daring Pacquiao to meet him May 5 in Las Vegas.

"Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see," Mayweather tweeted.

Moments later, Mayweather tweeted: "My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk."

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence in a domestic violence case until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are boxing's top two stars, and they have circled each other warily for more than two years. Both have said they're eager to fight, yet still haven't reached a deal for what's likely to be the most lucrative bout in boxing history.

While Pacquiao appeared to be more eager for the fight when the two first began verbally sparring in 2009, Mayweather has taken the lead in recent months, stepping up his campaign since Pacquiao's narrow win over Juan Manuel Marquez last November.

Mayweather's tweets appear to put the megafight's future in Pacquiao's hands -- and a decision likely will be made soon.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum traveled to the Philippines this week to meet with Pacquiao, planning to choose the eight-division champion's next opponent. Arum, who has repeatedly said Mayweather won't actually agree to fight Pacquiao because he fears losing, has a list of candidates including Marquez, Miguel Cotto, Lamont Peterson and Timothy Bradley Jr. for Pacquiao's next bout.

Arum also has suggested Pacquiao might not be ready to prepare for a fight in May because of a facial cut from his win over Marquez. Mayweather's camp has dismissed that notion as subterfuge, saying cuts rarely require several months to heal.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, whose company has promoted Mayweather's last five fights, has suggested Mayweather's Cinco de Mayo fight could be against popular 154-pound Mexican champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez or lightweight champion Robert Guerrero, a Mexican-American from the Bay Area, if he can't make a deal with Pacquiao.

But if Mayweather and Pacquiao intend to make their long-awaited fight, both sides know they must do it quickly, since a promotion of that size would require several months of preparation.

Mayweather controls his own Twitter feed, which is often filled with pictures of his fiancee and braggadocio about his gambling exploits. On Monday night, he tweeted a photo of a betting slip, claiming he won $400,000 on the BCS title game
    Link

Mayweather = greatest boxer

imo

My Ride
    VAG products

I just want it to happen...

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

They'll drag it out as long as the can to crate more buzz and up the pot. It will be rediculous what each fighter will pocket. You can bet it will be one of those boxing deals where whoever loses ( i see it going 12 and then to the cards) will get an instant rematch aka payday. Im more excited for the Berto vs Ortiz fight in February. I dont see the Mayweather/Pac fight being a real exciting battle. I see more controversy and BS than actual boxing.

I also think that Canelo Alvarez / Mayweather would be a MUCH more entertaining fight. Id rather see that because I thing Alvarez can beat Mayweather.
    Last edited by civic_stylez; 01-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    rally pig

mayweather's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather

as much I want Floyd to go down, I don't think Pacquiao can take him down anymore.

My Ride

Originally posted by taemo
    mayweather's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather

as much I want Floyd to go down, I don't think Pacquiao can take him down anymore.
    considering Paquaio has had 3 fights with Marquez with no clear winner ever emerging.. i dont think he can take him down either..

Originally posted by Playero
    Mayweather = greatest boxer
    This week... maybe...

Tyson in his heyday is still king in my books.

My Ride
    2006 HP

I bet Floyd woulda kept his mouth shut if Manny ko'd marquez..anyway i hope this happens

My Ride
    Jeep WJ

Originally posted by poison
    I bet Floyd woulda kept his mouth shut if Manny ko'd marquez..anyway i hope this happens
    +1

Manny got lucky coming out of that fight, for obvious reasons.

As much as I love Manny I dont think he has it in him to win anymore, Marquez even said Mayweather was a harder fight.

My Ride
    Quattro A4 Avant 1.8T 5MT

If my aunt had a penis (s)he'd be my uncle.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

My Ride
    2006 HP

Originally posted by tobypaddock

If my aunt had a penis (s)he'd be my uncle.

My Ride
    Quattro A4 Avant 1.8T 5MT

I just bothers me when people say things like "if the Flames didn't have Kiprusoff they would be as bad as the oilers" -well the flames DO so that's a stupid point to make. Just like Pacman DIDN'T knock Marquez out.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by sputnik

Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by SlickA70

+1

Manny got lucky coming out of that fight, for obvious reasons.

As much as I love Manny I dont think he has it in him to win anymore, Marquez even said Mayweather was a harder fight.
    That's probably true but it didn't happen and now Mayweather is going nuts with the trash talking. I don't think he's going to let up either.

Wonder what Pac is thinking? Wonder if his confidence is rattled?

And absolute to Tyson. Man that guy was a fucking monster.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by sputnik

This week... maybe...

man tyson in his prime is a scary beast and he was so elusive. if d'amato was still mentoring him through his whole career, tyson could have been at the top for ALOT longer.
    Last edited by dandia89; 01-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by pf0sh0
    I just want it to happen...

My Ride

I doubt it will, Mayweather is just saying stuff to make it seem like he never backed down from him. Manny already has 2 - 3 other fights that would come before Mayweather.

I have every Mike Tyson fight and he was the best modern day boxer to ever step in the ring. I still watch his training videos for motivation in the gym.

My Ride
    2006 HP

Originally posted by tobypaddock

I just bothers me when people say things like "if the Flames didn't have Kiprusoff they would be as bad as the oilers" -well the flames DO so that's a stupid point to make. Just like Pacman DIDN'T knock Marquez out.
    i'm just sayin, after Manny gave a shit performance all of a sudden mayweather is calling him out doesnt matter anyway cuz this fight probably isnt gonna happen

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...iao-mayweather
    MANILA, Philippines (AP)—Manny Pacquiao’s camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiao’s financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won’t be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is “foolish from an economic standpoint.”

Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.

“Manny Pacquiao I’m calling you out let’s fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see,” he tweeted.

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence for domestic violence until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.

The MGM Grand seats about 17,000, which could fetch around $20 million in sales, but the larger arena could raise an additional $30 million, Koncz said.

“Why would I tell Manny to fight on the 5th and throw away a percentage of 30 million? That’s crazy,” he said.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has told the Philippines’ GMA television the only reason the fight won’t happen is if there is an “economic problem.”

He said the fight “could happen very, very easily” at the end of May— enough time to build the outdoor arena “the fight so badly needs.”

“I will also guarantee Manny’s purse,” he said. “In other words, Manny doesn’t want to go into the ring and just fight out a percentage.”

He said Mayweather is looking for “outside parties to guarantee his end of the purse.”

“So, until he finds the angel, there is no fight,” Arum said.

In a separate interview with GMA, Pacquiao said that if Mayweather agrees to a “50-50 sharing, there will be no problem.”

“The purse is not the issue right now, the date is,” Koncz said. “But we don’t have a problem splitting it 50-50.”

My Ride

MONEY = worst part of boxing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast