Quantcast
Another 996 Turbo Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 996 Turbo Thread

My Ride
    Stuff

Default Another 996 Turbo Thread

Well since I sold my Elise (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...=&pagenumber=1), I ended up buying a Porsche. This is my first turbo 911 and so far I'm completely sold on it.

It's already faster than the Lotus was even after the supercharger install. I had a 12.7 @112mph for the Lotus (G-tech) and on my first try with the 996 I ran a 12.45 @ 116mph.

Upgrades are starting slow, but they probably won't stop until I sell the car. I picked up an exhaust even before I had the car. It's a 3" exhaust with no cats from 911tuning.com down in the states.

With the new exhaust on I got my time down to 12.3 @ 117mph, I know that 0.1 of a second could be due to conditions, but before I was running 12.4 to 12.6 consistently and now I'm running 12.3 to 12.4 consistently, I would wager I've gained about 20hp.

Here you can see the very light new exhaust beside the very heavy stock exhaust, installation was very easy:

Some of you will think I'm half assing the suspension, well you'd be right, the stock suspension is plenty for anything I do, I am a straight line speed kind of guy so suspension won't get much attention. I'm just putting H&R sport springs on stock shocks, lowering it ~1":

I've also ordered a Protomotive retune and the Durametric cable to apply it, with the exhaust it is advertised as adding 100hp and 100lb/ft of torque, these cars are insane:

Next purchase will probably be lighter rims, brake rotors, seats and a fixed wing. These cars are fairly heavy so removing some weight will definitely help.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    ////M

Sweet, in for more. Did you buy the car from the states?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    V167

Do want.

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by Euro_Trash
    Sweet, in for more. Did you buy the car from the states?
    I did look into cars from the states and although there was better selection the prices did not justify it. I bought this one from a dealer in Montreal.

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Do want.
    Thanks.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

Originally posted by Cody D

I did look into cars from the states and although there was better selection the prices did not justify it. I bought this one from a dealer in Montreal.

Thanks.
    yea exactly prices arn't really different at all, but if you want an interesting color IE red, yellow or even white you are sure to find one in the US... car looks awesome love see more updates..

My Ride
    1997 Talon

4G63+Ellise would be epic.
    1997 Talon
    Best Et 9.6 Best Mph157
    NO Nitrous

My Ride
    VTAKK

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by Redlyne_jr
    yea exactly prices arn't really different at all, but if you want an interesting color IE red, yellow or even white you are sure to find one in the US... car looks awesome love see more updates..
    I really wanted red or white because I know so many people with black ones already, but all the white ones had interior colours I didn't like and there wasn't enough red ones to find the right one for me.

Originally posted by Ron@Revolution
    4G63+Ellise would be epic.
    Yes, I still think about doing a Lotus 7 style car with a 4G63 engine.

Originally posted by benz_890
    Thanks.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    ////M

I really wanted red or white because I know so many people with black ones already, but all the white ones had interior colours I didn't like and there wasn't enough red ones to find the right one for me.

White is definitely a rare commodity

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

For wings, ebay CF specials are great deals, and looks 10x better than the stock little winglet. If you want fixed, or something more extravagant, you'd want to get the whole rear trunklid replaced with a matching wing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

how is the automatic tranny in this car?

My Ride
    Stuff

White is definitely a rare commodity
    Definitely, caramel interiors have never been my thing and it seemed like all the white ones had caramel interiors.

Originally posted by rage2
    For wings, ebay CF specials are great deals, and looks 10x better than the stock little winglet. If you want fixed, or something more extravagant, you'd want to get the whole rear trunklid replaced with a matching wing.
    If you buy the whole trunk lid, I wonder if the entire thing is carbon fiber or if the wing is carbon and the trunk is something cheaper. I'd rather have full CF so that I don't have to pay to get half of it painted.
    I like cars.

There was a white X50 with black/white interior a few months ago on 6so, it was perfect.

I only drove one for a few days but the steering wheel shifters are really slow and I didn't like using them, but in auto-mode it's pretty smart. It knew when I wanted to have fun and when I didn't. It would always take a little longer than I liked going from GRRLOL mode to AHHHH mode but that's expected.

It's not that the auto-mode is any faster, I think it's just that I'm used to using the gas pedal to change gears in an auto. I'd know to lift a little before I wanted an upshift so it all seemed natural, whereas flicking a thing on the wheel and then waiting felt awkward, especially compared to modern paddle-shifted transmissions. I'm sure I could get used to it.

My Ride
    something slow

its great to see that you're modding the car already. it was nice speaking to you when you called in to have this vehicle insured.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I never use the shift buttons. Like Mibz says, just drive how u wanna drive, the transmission does all the work. It's a Mercedes 5 speed auto, so it felt exactly like my old SLK32 and E55.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by aln
    its great to see that you're modding the car already. it was nice speaking to you when you called in to have this vehicle insured.
    Haha, it's a small world.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    ////M

Definitely, caramel interiors have never been my thing and it seemed like all the white ones had caramel interiors.

*Crossing my fingers this isn't your interior color* The only color I truly disliked when I was looking is the grey interior.

My Ride
    Stuff

*Crossing my fingers this isn't your interior color* The only color I truly disliked when I was looking is the grey interior.
    My car is black on black. I agree about the grey. I had Ivory interior in my NSX with black seats, I didn't mind that but keeping the carpet clean wasn't easy.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Wow, nice buy, what are these going for on average now?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Auto or manual or did I miss that somewhere?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast