Quantcast
Wikipedia to black out for 24hours in protest of US Internet Censorship law - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wikipedia to black out for 24hours in protest of US Internet Censorship law

My Ride
    You Crazy

Google US apparently also blacked out.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...-sopa-protest/

My Ride
    S14|TB1

reddit/imgur too, what am i gonna do at work all day long?

Its a fueled delusion that attempts to maintain the status of Hollywood as being "worthy" of multimillionaire if not billionaire actors. A status that has far reaching impact into the lawmakers and judges. The rest of the world looks at Hollywood like they are insane - which they are.

You don't have to actually be good at anything in the US - you just have to pretend to be. Governator Arhnold, Ronald Reagan the actor. The moon landing *cough*. Donald Trump and a possible fifth bankruptcy.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/01/21/a...over-this-yet/ < Is $1.8 million Cdn too much to pay for a piece of art?

Is Bono's music really worth $850 million or so? Maybe, hard to say. Is a Picasso worth $10 million per canvas? Maybe. Is a loaf of bread worth $6?

Its a very hard sell to the now 15% of the US on foodstamps.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by n1zm0
    reddit/imgur too, what am i gonna do at work all day long?
    Only reason I am here today lol - Somebody do something funny.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The Wikipedia thing isn't a blackout at all.

Anything you search on Wikipedia, just hit stop on your browser before it re-directs you to the blackout page and you're good

Jr. High reports, commence!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Disoblige
    The Wikipedia thing isn't a blackout at all.

Anything you search on Wikipedia, just hit stop on your browser before it re-directs you to the blackout page and you're good

Jr. High reports, commence!
    I think you're missing the point of the whole protest, it's to raise awareness and get exposure and bump threads talking about it, the point is not to devise a fool proof way to not allow you to view wiki pages. So by bumping this thread talking about an irrelevant fact regarding how their site is operating today you are getting them more exposure.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by syeve

Only reason I am here today lol - Somebody do something funny.
    well i think they were only down for 12 hrs starting at midnight so by lunch hour, carry on with life.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

I'm at the office right now and the sites I frequent (except beyond) are all blacked out...AHHHHH WHAT WILL I DO?! WORK?! WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?!

*panics*

Originally posted by rage2
    I'm going to flood Mibz with random questions on Wednesday. He's our &quot;wiki guy&quot;.
    Haha, mobile Wikipedia works without any tricks! Sucker.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by Zephyr
    I'm at the office right now and the sites I frequent (except beyond) are all blacked out...AHHHHH WHAT WILL I DO?! WORK?! WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?!

*panics*

My Ride
    '03 ep3

The scope of this issue is so diluted that these companies that support this bill can't see the real issue.

The fact of the matter is that online piracy forces content providers to produce better quality entertainment. The Hobbit movie that is coming out will still make 1B$ in theaters because it is quality content. Charging 40$ for a brand new blu-ray is retarded as well.

If the prices of these things were to come down online piracy wouldn't be such an issue. I am not going to pay 15$ for a music CD that has one good song on it.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
    The scope of this issue is so diluted that these companies that support this bill can't see the real issue.

The fact of the matter is that online piracy forces content providers to produce better quality entertainment. The Hobbit movie that is coming out will still make 1B$ in theaters because it is quality content. Charging 40$ for a brand new blu-ray is retarded as well.

If the prices of these things were to come down online piracy wouldn't be such an issue. I am not going to pay 15$ for a music CD that has one good song on it.
    Plus when you buy a DVD/Blu Ray it has a ton of junk crammed into it before you get to the actual movie, and a lot of times you can't skip those millions of trailers. When I pirate a movie, I can watch it immediately.

The entertainment industry really needs to find ways to distribute their content in a way that makes purchasing it more convenient than downloading it. I forgot which studio it was recently, but they made streaming available on Netflix 58 days after it was on dvd/blu ray. There's also these stupid exclusivity deals with certain content distributors, making it really retarded and confusing.

Before when Netflix streaming was picking up, I stopped pirating movies because it was all there and I gladly pay for the service. But recently the content is going sour, and I'm about to cancel Netflix and back to pirating.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

This is probably going to be the most productive day for the us economy since the recession started.

My Ride
    Bicycle

SOPA and PIPA will be renamed as Save the Childrens act and passed or tacked on to like a Veteran support bill.

Hollywood pumped in $92M and expect results.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

the sad reality of it, gdamned late gen Y kids are getting more and more useless by year of birth, especially the ones about Obama, how is it that as a Canadian i know Obama public declares his dismay over SOPA and half these kids obviously don't? :

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

gawker.com/5877192/stupid-high-school-kids-and-teachers-freak-out-over-wikipedia-blackout

i wish they would classifying Gen Y as kids born in the 80s and 90s, kids born in the 80s for the most part were never given the luxury of lots of things that the kids born in the 90s were, ask a kid born in the 90s what these 2 have in common, how many do you think will clue in:

My Ride
    You Crazy

Quote of the day: "MPAA calls the internet going dark in protest to SOPA 'An abuse of power'. In related news, the Eye of Sauron accuses Hobbits of terrorism."

MPAA Assholes call the black out an "abuse of power", holy Pot calling the black out black... er?? lol.

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/18/...erous-gimmick/
    Last edited by Toma; 01-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by n1zm0
    ask a kid born in the 90s what these 2 have in common, how many do you think will clue in:
    Obviously the pen is used to write "Dance mix 94" on the tape you copied from your friends. Or Am 106 mix tape lol
    Last edited by sxtasy; 01-18-2012 at 05:45 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Toma
    Quote of the day: &quot;MPAA calls the internet going dark in protest to SOPA 'An abuse of power'. In related news, the Eye of Sauron accuses Hobbits of terrorism.&quot;

MPAA Assholes call the black out an &quot;abuse of power&quot;, holy Pot calling the black out black... er?? lol.

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/18/...erous-gimmick/
    Unsurprisingly, Google responded to the allegations by calling them “just nonsense,” adding that the company believed “like many other tech companies, that the best way to stop [pirates] is through targeted legislation that would require ad networks and payment processors – like ours – to cut off sites dedicated to piracy or counterfeiting.”
    Fucking brilliant. MPAA won't listen and got caught with pants down and turn to rage.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by sxtasy

Obviously the pen is used to write &quot;Dance mix 94&quot; on the tape you copied from your friends. Or Am 106 mix tape lol
    Pft, Dance Mix 95 was where it was at!

My Ride
    You Crazy

It's ok, cause it keeps us safe. It's not THAT bad. It's the patriotic thing to do. It will never get abused.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast