Quantcast
I found a new hideout in the NW for pho - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I found a new hideout in the NW for pho

Default I found a new hideout in the NW for pho

In harvest hills theres two new pho joints, one is Pho Vam and other is just Vietnamese sub and grill. Both on the west side of harvest hillvs blvd right by that big car wash.

Living in this area, im glad I now have options cause Saigon Pearl has gone downhill the past year. They really skimp out with weak meat portions and their service leaves a lot to be desired. Their prices increased about 20% a few months ago, $6.xx for salad rolls? $10 for vermecelli bowl? No thanks. The quality has dropped lately, its not nearly as good as before so ive been on the lookout for other pho places nearby.

Havent tried pho vam yet but i will be soon.

I tried the viet sub and grill and its really good. I will say that the food here is incredibly fresh! i like it a lot better than saigon pearl. Bit cheaper, more meat and tastes better and most importantly tastes fresher. Had the popular vermecelli bowl with spring rolls and beef, tasted really good for just $9.19 with tax. This same dish is like $10.75 at Saigon with tax, ridiculous.

I like a strong fish sauce, and their fish sauce here is much much better as i find saigons a bit tastless as of late.

Another day had the pho and huge portions with decent amount of meat. Lots of flavour, really liked it. they have two sizes with the large being huge. A lot of people most likely wont even be able to finish it.

The place is tiny but has chairs and few tables to dine in. No servers, its a take out place with the option to eat there.

I havent tried the subs here yet but from what i remember theyre the usual $5.50 price or so.

Should try it out if youre like me and not really a fan of saigon pearl anymore.
    Last edited by FoxTrot; 01-18-2012 at 02:50 PM.

The fact that you like Saigon Pearl in the first place kind of discredits you lol.
    Regardless I will keep an eye out for your suggestions. Maybe try a sub first.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by phreezee
    The fact that you like Saigon Pearl in the first place kind of discredits you lol.
    No shit. That place sucked since day 1, not just last year.

So are the new digs opened up right by Koiji?

I haven't tried the pho before but tried the beef sate sub. I didn't think it was anything special.. overloaded with veggies and barely any beef in it. The location is convenient and prices do seem cheaper but I'd rather hit up Thi Thi or something..

Regardless I will keep an eye out for your suggestions. Maybe try a sub first.
    Well Saigon Pearl was pretty good but in the past year its dropped in quality and with their recent prike hike on everything on their menu, and already weak portions of meat, it doesnt justify the price. Place is still super busy and its mostly white people who eat there from what i notice.

Its too many times now where i got take out pho only to find out the noodles are still half uncooked and i need to recook it myself.

But there wasnt any other options then, there is now.
    Last edited by FoxTrot; 01-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

haha

Let's see if Pho Van is any good when it opens up (the place near Koiji).

My Ride
    TSX

Another

My Ride
    STi

What do you guys think of Pho So on center and 16th? That's the place I usually go but mainly because it's somewhat close and I don't feel like driving all the way to forest lawn for pho.

i love pho so 1, i always go there! the meat portions are pretty good

My Ride
    rally pig

I used to go to Pho So 1 years ago, extra extra tendon and the super friendly owner with his "excellent fantastic" greets; now probably once or twice a year to reminisce the good ol' days.

Pho Kim is the place to hit on 16th.

Around the Beddington area, Pho Thanh on 64th.

Forest Lawn, Pho Dau Bo

My Ride
    STi

I actually don't like Pho kim. I haven't been there in a few years but I stopped going because they went downhill. Not sure if they improved again since then. Whenever I'm in that area looking for Pho, I go to Pho So.

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

I like Pho Thanh too in beddington too. Not really convenient anymore since I moved. Go to Pho Kim more now but its hit and miss

Wheres this pho than located? I tried veitnamese village across from deerfoot mall in the summer and it was terrible and way overpriced.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by FoxTrot
    Wheres this pho than located? I tried veitnamese village across from deerfoot mall in the summer and it was terrible and way overpriced.
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?um=1&ie=U...e&ved=0CBIQ_BI

Right beside the KFC on the plaza district on 64th ave and 4th st

I don't like pho kim haha and I also don't like pho thanh. I just find pho thanh really unappetizing, when I go inside I feel like I lose all appetite. But a lot of people like pho thanh.

Imo basil is the best for sate pho pho so is good too.

Originally posted by Disoblige

haha

Let's see if Pho Van is any good when it opens up (the place near Koiji).
    I'm hoping Pho Van is good since there aren't too many excellent Pho options in the NW/North area besides Pho Thanh. There's Nha Trang or however they spell it in the back of Panorama, it's okay but overpriced.

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

I liked Saigon Pearl a lot when it opened, but I haven't been in a really long time. Sad to hear it went down.

Pho Thanh is ridiculously fast, and their prices have always been pretty fair.

I hate not having pho in Lloydminster

My Ride
    CBR 929

I have had a sub from Vietnamese Sub and Grill, the place beside the carwash.

It was good but I thought skimpy on the meat, also had some sort of weird veggie mix on it, wasn't onion, maybe some sort of radish?? Like I said tasted okay, but too much bun. Springrolls were also good, sizzling hot and yes the fish sauce is also good.

[url]

My Ride
    TDi

I only go to Saigon if I'm carving pho and I don't really care how good it is lol.

All the nw pho suck!

Pho dau Bo ftw and back in the day pho so 1! I like the upper, fantastic, terrific waiter
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast