Quantcast
Feds shutdown Megaupload - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Feds shutdown Megaupload

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

There is inherent 'manufacture' costs in anything. Be it electricity, a firmware flash, a digital movie whatever but its the choice of action which is the issue I think.

Bit of a dead horse we've all heard before but it seems if you try to force people/market into a direction by heavy restrictions and control, now more than ever I think you will be faced with a strong resistance. It's a losing battle. The only effective solution is to change to a more progressive business model. Theyre going about it bass ackwards and Zephyr's statement is a good indicator of that.

I think Louis CK's latest experiment is one good example of that in today's changing digital media distribution environment. (say that 10 times fast)

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

Originally posted by Zephyr
    I think the biggest issue is that the United States was able to go to Hong Kong, shut down the site, and arrest people who are non-US citizens that were not even on United States soil. All this was done with zero due process. Am I the only one that sees this as very frightening?
    This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. I do think there are issues that need to be addressed with copyright infringement, but it really bothers me that they can just do this and have to answer to no one.

Big movies have huge budgets, maybe it's time we start asking ourselves if paying one human for one movie 20 million dollars is the right thing to do.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by cherpintow

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. I do think there are issues that need to be addressed with copyright infringement, but it really bothers me that they can just do this and have to answer to no one.

Big movies have huge budgets, maybe it's time we start asking ourselves if paying one human for one movie 20 million dollars is the right thing to do.
    Whether its the right thing to do or whether that bvusiness model is sustainable anymore is definitely what's on the table.

I think the biggest issue is that the United States was able to go to Hong Kong, shut down the site, and arrest people who are non-US citizens that were not even on United States soil. All this was done with zero due process. Am I the only one that sees this as very frightening?
    Pretty sure that's not what happened at all. Four of them were arrested in New Zealand by local police on the request of the US, to which they were then extradited based on their extradition treaties.
    As for the website, I'm pretty sure it was registered under an American domain. Seems like Hong Kong wasn't really involved in any of this.

Just noticed that HDBits is down too, not sure if it's coincidence or not, haha, fuck.

My Ride
    '13 F150

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Well, that didn't take long, assuming it's legit.

www.megavideo.bz
    LOL. The feds are playing whack-a-mole, but they're too antedeluvian to realize there are too many moles and that the DoJ hammer will be too fucking slow.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn

Pretty sure that's not what happened at all. Four of them were arrested in New Zealand by local police on the request of the US, to which they were then extradited based on their extradition treaties.
    As for the website, I'm pretty sure it was registered under an American domain. Seems like Hong Kong wasn't really involved in any of this.
    I think I worded it wrong. But it is a Hong Kong based company, which are runed by New Zealand citizens.

I think I worded it wrong. But it is a Hong Kong based company, which are runed by New Zealand citizens.
    Ok, but I still don't understand why you have a problem with how they were arrested or the websites were taken down.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Ok, but I still don't understand why you have a problem with how they were arrested or the websites were taken down.
    Wait, American laws apply to everyone in the world doesn't worry you?

Anyhow, Kodak just file for bankruptcy today. It's another company that won't embrace the future and instead tried to safeguard its old business. Hollywood will end up the same if they don't change. It's simple business, evolve or die.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I don't understand how the concepts of national sovereignty or due process are foreign to you.

The US taking down websites that exist outside of its borders is NOT okay.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by rage2

An average hollywood movie has a budget of $10-100m. There is a cost to "manufacture" a film.
    not the copy downloaded. That copy was created out of thin air. If someone took inventory they would not find anything missing.

if someone stole dog food, inventory would be short a bag.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by spikers

A better example would be:

someone visits Toma to have a custom tune put into a chip on their ECU and pays Toma to do it.

Now this person belongs to a really effin crazy car club. They have 20 identical cars in every way. One of them is techy enough to replicate this chip 20 times, and install them into the 20 vehicles. Toma has now lost out on the potential revenue on these 20 vehicles, as his custom tune and chip have been replicated and distributed to potential clients he could have performed the service for.
    terrible example....but I will play, even pretending dynoing is my only job.

you won't believe me....but this is honest.

I tuned your car. You paid me. What you do with it's upto you. Copy it. Sell it. Delete it. Your business.

only time I would have an issue is if someone made copies and sold them for profit. If you gave them away, that's cool.

if it ever came to that I was not making the $ I wanted, I would do the jobs for fun that I liked doing, and move to a profession that was better for $.

why its a terrible example for a factory ecu tuner is that we are pirates. Ford, Chevy dodge etc never gave me permission to use any part of their code or programming.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...load-shutdown/

Looks like Anonymous hacked the FBI in retaliation.
    Curse you imageshack..

U.S. pretty much controls the world, there's nothing you can do about it.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

fuck the usa

Originally posted by Xtrema

Wait, American laws apply to everyone in the world doesn't worry you?
    Originally posted by A790

I don't understand how the concepts of national sovereignty or due process are foreign to you.

The US taking down websites that exist outside of its borders is NOT okay.

http://geo.flagfox.net/?host=megaupload.com
    http://whois.domaintools.com/174.140.154.24

I don't understand what you guys are talking about. Their domains were registered in the US. They even had over 1000 servers (25 PB, holy fuck!) in Virginia to run their sites. How would this not be under US jurisdiction?
    If Megaupload did not want to be subject to US or certain national laws, all they had to do was move their domains somewhere else. Seems to have worked pretty well for The Pirate Bay over the years.
    Last edited by WithTheLightsOn; 01-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Also, this could be very well a false flag operation to make the internet users give up their privacy so that "Anonymous" wouldn't make the news anymore.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by mark4091
    Everyone who uses the internet should boycott hollywood. I hope this only serves to turn more people towards torrents.
    And download what? Norwegian films and Japanese cartoons can only entertain a guy for so long.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://jalopnik.com/5877749/megauplo...license-plates

Quite a collection seized from Dotcom.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast