Quantcast
Anyone work in Occupational Health & Safety? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone work in Occupational Health & Safety?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
    I've worked in safety for several years, received NCSO certification four years ago this summer.
    I'm not a safety guy, and I never said I was. Not surprised with your level of comprehension, it is quite common among people educated in Canada.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    safety is everyones responsibility. as soon as people realize this we can get rid of the stupid safety guy.

I was sitting in the job shack today and the safety guy walks in to proclaim "there is a gas can over there by the tool shack with no lid on it"
    Because of the heavy snow, water was obviously getting in the gas can and he realized that this may be an issue. But instead of just laying the can inside the seacan he decided the better thing to do was to come tell us to do something about it.

oh well douches need jobs too. Also not all surprised that shawcross is a douche. not one bit.
    He was just doing his job, maybe the retard that left the gas can out should have done theirs.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Originally posted by Bobino
    I work in this field as well, and as others have stated (89 Gee Tee), it is more broad than most people would imagine. I currently work as a full time ergonomics coordinator (not exactly a "safety guy", but OH&S related) with a fairly large company. I've been in this field for about a year and a half and there seems to be a lot of demand for the work. Hours suck, several positions (within my company) are salaried and overtime exempt, which kind of sucks at times, especially with the long hours associated with incident investigations, follow up work, audits, ect. However, the work is very rewarding if you have a heart for seeing people go home the same way they came in each day, then it's an awesome job.

Really like the feedback in this thread, as I'd like to achieve my CRSP and NCSO certifications within the next few years.
    What is your background, ie. education/experience going into Ergonomics?

Originally posted by idriveabox

What is your background, ie. education/experience going into Ergonomics?

I was actually fortunate enough to land this position with little experience. Without going into too much detail, I worked as an hourly safety person for this company, which basically consisted of inspecting every department daily, incident investigations, and the other fun stuff and was promoted to this position after about a year of doing that. The company I work for is large, so there are two full time Ergonomists based out of headquarters and they provide in-house training for all of the folks in my position.

You may find the following certification useful if you would like to get into ergo:

http://www.ace-ergocanada.ca/index.php?contentid=139

How are you liking the U of A course? I would like to start in the fall once work calms down a bit.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me

I'm not a safety guy, and I never said I was. Not surprised with your level of comprehension, it is quite common among people educated in Canada.

....Still the biggest lying loser on beyond. Don't pay attention to this guy he's a complete retard who thinks he can score 180 on an LSAT but apparently is a lowly electrician, and now has all these certifications as well.

OP...I talked to one of the OS managers at my work recently and it seemed like he loved his job. I know he makes over 6 figures but he also works sometime retarded hours. If you don't mind being out in the field a lot it seems like a good job.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

He's right. You won't last long being a dick. The bottom line is that the job needs to get done. Whomever is in charge of you most likely doesn't want the entire job shut down. This goes for the better part of construction, but there's always PCL

My Ride
    Hondas

PCL is a great company.... for acronyms.

people come last

pricks cunts and liars

paycheques come late

pour now, chip later

So many, and i've never even worked a pcl site.

Originally posted by 89s1
    PCL is a great company.... for acronyms.

So many, and i've never even worked a pcl site.
    Obviously a ringing endorsement of your credentials to make such a statement.

I've worked on over half a dozen large PCL sites. ($100 million +) and have worked closely with site-supers, OH&S, and management. I've also worked on large Ellis Don, Cadillac Fairview, Stuart Olsen, etc projects. I can say, by experience, that PCL run a very tight ship. Much tighter than the others I've worked on.
    YVR expansion, every Friday after lunch it was mandatory that EVERY person on site shut down, put tools away and join in on an end-to-end clean up of the entire job site. Monday morning you could eat off the floor of that construction site. This was a site with almost 1,000 employees. Almost zero accident rate. Weekly safety meetings. Rewards given to cleanest work areas. HUGE rooftop party that was first class food and booze.

People hear of some stupid acronym like FORD (Found on road dead) and immediately assume it must be accurate.

Originally posted by Type_S1

....Still the biggest lying loser on beyond.
    Have I been usurped? I don't lie tho lol

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I'm also curious to know what people working in the field think about an OH&S certificate vs diploma.

I've been looking at a few programs and am trying to weigh the pros/cons of each to see which would help jumpstart a career choice.

NAIT - 2 year Diploma
    http://www.nait.ca/program_home_77328.htm

BCIT - 2 Year Diploma
    http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/6850diplt

UofA - 1 year Certificate
    http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/stu...s/ohs/detail1/

diploma rather then a certificate only, if you are choosing to make it a career path

i worked as OH&S manager for over 10+ years in the patch, and Partnership provincial safety auditor
    in a time before OH&S certificate programs were so required, and when actual work experience was the prefered value (rant off)

the fact is that human resources dictates the terms of employees, and they don't recognize less then a diploma, so that or better is your ticket

toward that end goal, align your time and money in training that will further you to achieving a CRSP (canadian registered safety professional)

with a CRSP you'd be in demand, a diploma will get you in the door, a certificate is a starting point only really, but will be entry for the more minor position(s)

there are some specific training in certain fields (O&G and Construction, being a couple of the largest)

here's a link to the CRSP website, start there IMO
    http://www.bcrsp.ca/

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshlinks/region/ab.html

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_77328.htm
    "Drive your business, let not your business drive you" ~ Benjamin Franklin

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

^Thanks

I've applied to a few schools above, but as a backup plan does anyone recommend the certificate offered through UofA here?

http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/study/sciences/ohs/

I'm looking to break into the field and work towards more certifications. Anyother tips on where to look for jobs etc would be a bonus. TIA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2