Quantcast
2011+ F150 Ecoboost vs 5.0? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011+ F150 Ecoboost vs 5.0?

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Default 2011+ F150 Ecoboost vs 5.0?

I'm looking into buying a f150 for my next work truck. 90% of my driving is highway, I have a buddy with a 2011 5.0 which is a killer motor but I was hoping there are some people here with an ecoboost f150 that can give me some opinions about it.

I feel like all the other full size trucks don't really compare to ford at the moment, but if someone can convince me otherwise, go ahead and try.

TIA

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Since its a work truck, see if they'll cover the cost of the Ecoboost. Its an extremely rugged engine, and the fuel savings make it worth while for the added $5k. It takes quite a few km's to pay that off, but in the end its worth it. I have a friend with the Ecoboost in his F150, and he just adores it. The 5.0 is no slouch either though; dont get me wrong.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Check out the Ford F-150 Ecoboost Torture Test videos on youtube. There are 6, 3-4 minute videos I believe. They show how truly amazing the engine is. Knocks both the Ram and Silverado out of the park quite easily. They do dyno testing, torque testing, towing at max payload for 24 hours straight, hauling a 9000 pound trailer up a hill, the Baja 1000 race in mexico.... In the end they put over 160,000 MILES on the engine then they tear it apart in front of an audience and show how resilient and un-worn the engine is.

Pretty impressive...

I also agree that the F-150 is un-rivaled right now.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

^I have seen all the ecoboost videos and am very impressed with it but I always prefer real world opinions to press releases from the manufacturer.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Since its a work truck, see if they'll cover the cost of the Ecoboost. Its an extremely rugged engine, and the fuel savings make it worth while for the added $5k. It takes quite a few km's to pay that off, but in the end its worth it. I have a friend with the Ecoboost in his F150, and he just adores it. The 5.0 is no slouch either though; dont get me wrong.
    I'm a consultant, the cost of the truck will be fully incurred by myself. where are you getting additional 5k for the ecoboost, it's a 1250 option on the ford website. this could be because I was looking at an fx4 supercrew, maybe it's more on the lower models.

I was extremely impressed with the power of my buddies 5.0 and can only imagine how an ecoboost feels.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    The ecoboost is only $1200 more not $5k and real world fuel mileage is nothing like whats stated for the eco. If you go on the ford forums you will see tons of actual owners saying they get nowhere near the mileage as whats stated. The reason to go eco is because of the low end power, that thing is insane down low where as on the 5.0l you gotta get it way up in the rpms. The only thing that scares me with the eco is the fact its twin turbo and a fairly new motor, they used it on the taurus sho i think but a truck gets way more abuse than a car. Take the eco for a drive and i can pretty much guarantee you'll love it over the 5.0l
    Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

Before you believe the hype read up on F150 forums. Many claim the ecoboost isn't all that. Then again some were getting issued fixed with updated software.

edit-beat me to it!

I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost with 3xxxxkm. The engine really is great.

It is almost silent except for a little turbo whistle when under load and the power really is amazing.

The way the truck is set up, I can set the cruise on the highway and unless I go to pass, the truck never has to shift out of 6th gear. In my 5.4 V8, it would shift to 5th all the time.

The only downside is that the fuel economy is nowhere near what they claim. According to the computer in the truck, I only avg 14.5MPG. The best I have ever managed was 21.5MPG but nobody could stand driving it that "softly". I don't pay for fuel though so its not really a downside for me.

Hope I could be of some help with your decision! It really is a great truck.

I should add that my truck is fairly heavy. It is a SuperCrew Lariat with chrome package including 20" chrome wheels and fully loaded inside. I also have 2 box length tool boxes and a center tool box loaded with stuff as well as the back seat area is full of parts. That probably has a bit to do with my poor mileage.

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

does anyone have a carcostcanada.com price on a fx4 ecoboost with leather?? or something close. i just did a job for a guy that told me he paid 36500 for a lariat non eco boost last year.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Originally posted by danno
    does anyone have a carcostcanada.com price on a fx4 ecoboost with leather?? or something close. i just did a job for a guy that told me he paid 36500 for a lariat non eco boost last year.
    wow that's a good price!

Originally posted by Cos
    I would still go with the 5.0. The coyote engine has been an amazing piece of engineering, is in more trucks and cars, and IMO will run longer.

I think the Ecoboost is a fad and I can say from our work trucks that the TT is not any better on fuel.
    I feel the same way but a lot of people I talk to are so in love with their ecoboost, I do think the 5.0 will run longer but I only plan on owning this truck while it is in warranty so I can kinda throw that out the window.

What kind of work is it that you are not seeing a mileage increase, my driving is 90% highway so I was counting on it using 1 or so less L/100.
    Last edited by 93VR6; 01-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by 93VR6

it's a 1250 option on the ford website. this could be because I was looking at an fx4 supercrew, maybe it's more on the lower models.

WTF, I was told it was a $5k option by a person at a Ford dealership. WOW. Im sorry for the mis-leading info.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Originally posted by Cos

1 L may be accurate but it isnt anywhere near what Ford suggested. We drive around from site to site out of town. 80% highway. 10% bagging in town. 10% bagging on side/lease roads.

Between that and all the idling it hasnt been much better. Hell the ecoboost is worse on gas if you are gunning it all the time. I had a ford tech tell me that at full throttle/boost a ecoboost uses as much fuel as a 7 or 8 L engine so that is why they still offer the 6.2L as it would be better on gas if towing the whole time. Plus the Coyote engine makes one hell of a noise.

Not that there is anything wrong with the ecoboost but ever since driving both I would buy a 5.0 FX4 before anything else.
    Hmm that really makes me consider the 5.0 plus with the TT you can only get the 96L tank not the 136 which I would prefer.

My Ride
    Rav4

One of the biggest differences I found was, how much more refined the Ecoboost felt compared to the 5.0. That alone is worth the upgrade imho

Originally posted by rusich
    One of the biggest differences I found was, how much more refined the Ecoboost felt compared to the 5.0. That alone is worth the upgrade imho
    it's because the tt v6 has no growl, the turbos sound kinda cool but thats it sound wise, the V8 has a factory rumble to it. There's very little aftermarket support for the EB and you should youtube some of the guys that have done exhausts, it sounds like a ricer truck lol.

The 2012 EB comes with the 136l tank standard now. Ford is offering huge rebates now and theyre very flexible on pricing. check out http://www.f150forum.com/f38/ and see all the whining/bashing in there, it almost makes beyond seem chill.
    Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Turbo motors trick the EPA mileage tests?

NO WAI!!!

It's going to be like any other turbo motor, really efficient if you drive around everywhere at 1/4 throttle and never rev above 2k.

If you ever actually want to move anywhere though, you'll be sucking back premium like it's going out of style.

My old boss has an eco-boost and it's great for low down grunt, as already mentioned, but towing on the highway it drinks fuel.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I thought they needed to sell a lot of the ecoboost to help their CAFE numbers? or is that just in the USofA?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast