Quantcast
Supra VS Z - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Supra VS Z

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Z32's of the same era are dated and dried up. They're junk, just like the Z33. You need to build up an engine just to run over 400whp, they're built weak like most Nissans.

Parts are easy to get, everything is available here. Steering mechanical and hydraulic parts....like p/s lines? Take the line off, take it to Greenline, pay $150 and get it rebuilt. You're an idiot if you're going to Toyota to buy a $900 p/s line.

They are worth less because they are right hand drive. A clean left hand drive Supra is more expensive than a Z33. I still don't see what the big deal is with it being RHD, considering most of you guys were on the RHD bandwagon not too long ago.

Facts:
    -The VQ is a giant turd
    -The 2JZ is the only production engine in the world that can output 3x it's stock HP, in stock form
    -2JZ is capable of 800+whp on a stock head and block
    -The 2JZ is more reliable than a junky VQ35
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride
    This and that.

I guess it's another of those person opinion things. VQ by tons of people is considered one of the best ever made.

Anyways, as far as the purpose of this thread was concerned. I guess the majority is against going for the Supra. And considering how I don't know much about them, I guess I should listen to the majority. Cause as much as I want something different and want to switch it up, I deff don't want something crappy or end up actually downgrading.

Keep the Z for sure.. Dont buy a RHD Supra.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I guess it's another of those person opinion things. VQ by tons of people is considered one of the best ever made.

Anyways, as far as the purpose of this thread was concerned. I guess the majority is against going for the Supra. And considering how I don't know much about them, I guess I should listen to the majority. Cause as much as I want something different and want to switch it up, I deff don't want something crappy or end up actually downgrading.
    Lol.

You're definitely not downgrading by any means.

By that logic, you should buy a Honda, and put Rota's on it, and illmotion decals. Since that is what the majority do and think is best.
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride
    This and that.

My main concern is the whole reliability factor. Now you don't need to be a genius to know that a car that is 20 years old is more likely to break down than a car that is 10 years old?

I mean I can't do any work myself what so ever. So I really don't want something that would make me go to a shop and put time and money in every month or so. Plus rhd would be a bit of nuisance for example drive thru's and such. I have no idea about the performance differences or anything, just going with what most people think. It is the whole point of getting suggestions and opinions right.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by shakalaka
    The VQ is an excellent engine hence why it has been used for a very long time, has always been ranked very well and is used in a large amount of applications. It is also very reliable, not sure what he is going on about. I had my G35 for almost 4 years, zero problems, decent power and torque and it was a nice car not some clapped out pos. The Z33 is a wiser choice for sure.

My Ride
    USE20

I would HANDS DOWN anyday pickup a Supra over a Z chassis.

I was probably one of the first people to own a 2jz in this convo (Had a LHD)... In all honesty , I would not buy a car that old load , just based on the age.. If you want a project car and want to dump money into it.. Then sure , go for it.. But if you have a working and reliable z (With low KMS).. Then you should just stay with it.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Originally posted by schocker

20 year old jdm supra

Agreed, worth 9g's MAX
    <signature has not been setup>

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Originally posted by JZS_147

Lol.

You're definitely not downgrading by any means.

By that logic, you should buy a Honda, and put Rota's on it, and illmotion decals. Since that is what the majority do and think is best.
    Should consider an S2000 AP2. Handling will blow your mind.
    <signature has not been setup>

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Well I owned a G35 Sedan, and right now I've got an Aristo. So its kinda like Z vs Supra. In my opinion the G35 and Aristo were very different for being in a very similar category. I've never had the pleasure of driving a MK4, but I've got an idea as I've been in one and I've owned 2 2jz's.

I'll start with the 04 g35, the materials used throughout the interior lacked quality, they felt hard and cheap, where as Aristo's and MK4's feel very premium, with very solid doors and plenty of sound deadening. On the other hand, the handling on the G35 was very precise, much sharper than my aristo, the steering ratio felt tighter, and it reminded me of an E46 M3, but not quite at that level.

The quality of the body is much greater on these 90's toyotas than what can be found today, nissans just can't compare. I'm confident that my old 04 G35 will start rusting sooner than my 92 Aristo. The VQ35 is a decent engine, not great by any means. It does offer a pretty smooth powerband, but the engine itself is far from smooth. It has interesting exhaust note, but as the RPM's climb I found it soon feels very un-refinded; as did it's 6-speed trans. From what I understand later models with the VQ35HR models were equiped with a different trans and clutch so I can't say much about that. The 2JZ is an amazing engine, you'll love how smooth it is at nearly any RPM (it's not that high revving though), and with stock twins the 2JZ offers a very usable powerband with amazing torque on the bottom with huge hp on the top.

I'd trade a clean z for a clean mk4 TT 6SPD, but not for that red one, he's been trying to sell it for ages and it's definitely a rice rocket like jimmy said. A clean JZA80 will hold its value much better than any Z33 in the long run.

JZ cars are very reliable.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    A bunch of hondas :(

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Except that they are dated, dried up, need shit loads of maintenance and most are beat up and often poorly modified with knock off parts.

Parts are a bitch such as steering mechanic and hydraulic parts, electrical parts and Japan specific parts such as projectors or rear wipers on some models.

They are worth far less for many reasons. On top of the fact they are wrong-hand-drive.

I'd take a Z33 over a beat up JZ with a camry steering wheel on the wrong side.

If you're building for power I'd say JZ, but for all around comfort, performance and styling I'd say VQ

ROFL more RHD hate...

How do you even compare an engine that's capable handling 800hp & tranny that's capable of handing 1000hp on stock internals to a shitty slow VQ?

It's the same car that's 20k less, parts are VERY easy to get, there are importers who can get you the harder parts like the steering rack which is extremely unlikely to fail.

To the OP: why don't you ask any Z owners how long it took them to sell theirs and how long their tranny ran until gears began to grind If you're concerned about resale, I can pretty much guarantee you that you will sell a RHD supra faster than a Z simply because the supply of 6 speed RZs is running dry in Japan.

Zs are slow in stock form, please don't argue... a friggin 3000gt that's not even a sports car weighing in at an amazing 3800lb runs 5.5 sec and this is a 20 year old car im comparing it to.

To the OP: Don't be turned down by e-tards, just make sure the supra is maintained and there's nothing to be scared of
    Last edited by Vr4Whore; 01-26-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Originally posted by JZS_147

I find the elitest attitude from most people on this thread hilarious... there is nothing wrong with RHD cars.

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

If it were me I would definitely consider a RHD supra. Probably not that one though. RHD isn't as bad as everyone who has never owned one makes it out to be.

I finally drove a G35 for the first time last year and I was very disappointed with it. Feels anemic in the higher rpms and that exhaust note.....

Definitely be careful though.....20 year old cars can be a handful regardless of how good they were when they were manufactured.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by texasnick
    I finally drove a G35 for the first time last year and I was very disappointed with it. Feels anemic in the higher rpms and that exhaust note.....
    I loved my g35 especially the exhaust note

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Kardon
    On the other hand, the handling on the G35 was very precise, much sharper than my aristo, the steering ratio felt tighter, and it reminded me of an E46 M3, but not quite at that level.
    The E46 M3 had a very loose steering ratio. The G35 must feel like driving a bus.

Back on topic:

on RHD

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by benyl

The E46 M3 had a very loose steering ratio. The G35 must feel like driving a bus.

Back on topic:

on RHD
    It didn't feel like a bus but had the same turning radius

Japans Junkyard Treasures, from our shore to your door!

My Ride
    Nothing

Can somebody provide a simple explanation of this z32, z33, 2jzwhatever supra stuff?

I always thought last generation TT supra + a few thousand in mods = 800hp on stock internals?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Z32 is 90+ 300zx.

Z33 is 350z

Yes the 2jz will do that power on stock internals. 2jz is engine code for the supra tt engine.

Vq35 is a piece of trash. Anything over 400 ft/lb and your block becomes religious. The don't build them like they used to...

JDM or not.. The car is fricking old. You will be spending money on fixing parts.. Every Supra has been well driven , thats why people bought them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast