Quantcast
Review: Touchstone Insurance - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Touchstone Insurance

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being in the insurance industry, what are your thoughts on those trackers?
    That's a longggggg conversation that I probably shouldn't be putting in writing on the internet...lol. There are pros & cons.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Giving more data to a private entity seems like a horrible idea. Akin to giving health insurance companies your DNA to prove how healthy you are.
    It does seem like a horrible idea to give out info haphazardly but Bill and I chatted about the app development as well as the rules surrounding data governance. It's a lot stricter than I originally thought, especially since I thought it could be used against me.

It was enlightening and I had some misconceptions before this. by no means am I quoting him so take it with a grain of salt; I'm going off of memory based on my understanding.

Coles notes:

- Insurance co. required by law to hire a company to build an app if they want this data. They discuss what's safe/poor driving technique and how to capture this data.
    - Insurance co. has no oversight over the 3rd party company. In Pembridge's case, Modus Solutions LLC made the My_Bridge app.
    - Pembridge have no access to detailed data, only a single aggregate score that determines what category of driver you fit into.
    - Scores are used accordingly to provide discount.
    - Data cannot be used against you

I was hesitant at first but decided to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Save 25% but what do they do when you're in an accident? Toss you under the bus.
    If it's your fault, which company won't?

If it's not your fault, nothing to worry about.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Maybe Touchstone can't assist, but any advice on this:

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/411...and-blistering

My wife cancelled her policy with Aviva (through Touchstone) over a year ago because they jacked the rates and joined my insurer (not through Touchstone), rust issue is just showing up now 3 years after the repair was made. I've been calling Ariva for the past couple weeks getting the run around.

- Call 1, we'll put a note in your file for someone to call you tomorrow.
    - Wait 1 week, no call back.
    - Call 2, sorry about that someone will call you tomorrow.
    - Wait another week, no call back.
    - Call 3, yea the adjusted that did your hail claim 3 years ago isn't hear any longer so how about you go talk to the body shop directly to see if they'll fix it for you. If they wont fix it then call us back.
    - Heading to the body shop that did the repair later this afternoon, not holding my breath.

How are warranty issues handled when you use the 'insurance recommended shop' that provides a 'lifetime guarantee'? Aviva appears to have zero motivation to assist and I'm not holding my breath that the body shop is going to agree that its their fault. The body shop has also changed ownership groups (hah!) since the repair was made. So a total shit show all around.

And have you seen or heard of any PDR micro-cracking issues showing up after PDF work has been done?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Can we opt out of this tracker program anytime we want or we stuck with it for the year?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Maybe Touchstone can't assist, but any advice on this:

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/411...and-blistering

My wife cancelled her policy with Aviva (through Touchstone) over a year ago because they jacked the rates and joined my insurer (not through Touchstone), rust issue is just showing up now 3 years after the repair was made. I've been calling Ariva for the past couple weeks getting the run around.

- Call 1, we'll put a note in your file for someone to call you tomorrow.
    - Wait 1 week, no call back.
    - Call 2, sorry about that someone will call you tomorrow.
    - Wait another week, no call back.
    - Call 3, yea the adjusted that did your hail claim 3 years ago isn't hear any longer so how about you go talk to the body shop directly to see if they'll fix it for you. If they wont fix it then call us back.
    - Heading to the body shop that did the repair later this afternoon, not holding my breath.

How are warranty issues handled when you use the 'insurance recommended shop' that provides a 'lifetime guarantee'? Aviva appears to have zero motivation to assist and I'm not holding my breath that the body shop is going to agree that its their fault. The body shop has also changed ownership groups (hah!) since the repair was made. So a total shit show all around.

And have you seen or heard of any PDR micro-cracking issues showing up after PDF work has been done?
    For Home insurance the "lifetime" coverage was only as long as you maintained coverage with that original insurance provider. So not in any way lifetime at all. Or it was for the one repair I looked at.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    My experience was very mixed, I found the app to be very buggy and inaccurate especially with what it deemed to be "hard braking events."

But it was a way to defer rate rises away for another year.
    Yup, I just got the enrollment email today but in the previous page of this thread I mentioned that the app reviews were a shitshow for the exact reason you're describing.

Seems to be showing hard braking events where there is none.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    For Home insurance the "lifetime" coverage was only as long as you maintained coverage with that original insurance provider. So not in any way lifetime at all. Or it was for the one repair I looked at.
    Body shop is gonna fix it. I’m pleasantly shocked and surprised!

The windshield needs to come out (and it’s cracked) so it needs to be replaced. So we’ll have to fork over some money for that but that that’s understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    When I was with TD I didn't see any increases in 10+ years either. The thing is, I was paying ~40% too much the whole time and didn't even know it. Fool me once...
    I thought we might be paying too much as well and contacted Touchstone a few years ago and Touchstone couldn't match the rate we were paying. Don't know what else to say.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Body shop is gonna fix it. I’m pleasantly shocked and surprised!

The windshield needs to come out (and it’s cracked) so it needs to be replaced. So we’ll have to fork over some money for that but that that’s understandable.
    Thats great news to hear. I had a hit and run on my car at work. Rear end trunk lid needed to be replaced/painted. I'm in the auto industry so I chose a bodyshop that is also one of our clients and deal with on a daily basis with orders. They're part of the Fix Auto network. They painted my trunk lid, installed, blended the quarters and I took the car home in the evening so it was dark. Next day parking it out in the sun, I see there is clear coat run on both sides of the quarter panel they blended, they didn't paint enough over where the quarters and the trunk lid match so it was two toning, and dust nibs all over their paint work. Bring it back, they tried to polish the quarters and end up burning through the paint so they have to re-paint everything again. Fine sure. Its on their dime so I'm sure they'll do a good job. They paid for a weeks rental as well. 2nd fix, everything looks perfect, paint matches spot on. We gucci.

Fast forward 4 months later, I see a spot on the trunk lid looking orange. Wash it and try to clean it, its not coming off. Orange spot is getting bigger and bigger. Lovely, the paint job is forming rust already after 4 months. Take it back to them, they take a look and will be fixing it again, I think they did a spot repair this time vs a complete paint job. Another week in a loaner vehicle on their dime. Both times the rentals on their dime was not cheap options. Fully loaded Caddy CTS and a Chevy Yukon Denali. The rental on my insurance was garbage. Golf Wagon.

Only shitty thing though is all the repairs and paintjobs, seems to have fucked up Ceramic Coat on the entire car, certain areas that weren't repaired is no longer working like before. And insurance only paid for Ceramic to be re-applied for the first repair. So I'll have to fork some money out for ceramic coating again.

But yeah, never once did they argue, or resist. Always fixed it no questions asked and took care of me and also their repairs are lifetime warranty. A reputable bodyshop will stand by their work and honor the repairs.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    V8s

What makes that a reputable body shop? Sounds like they're very bad at what they do, there's no way I'd take my car to that place after reading your post

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    What makes that a reputable body shop? Sounds like they're very bad at what they do, there's no way I'd take my car to that place after reading your post
    LOL thats true. You got me there. Took 3 repairs for them to do it right. But thats more so on the painter/prep person than the whole bodyshop itself. The reason I chose them, is they repair our customers Mercedes-Benz vehicles all day everyday, so figured if they can work on MB euros, I'm sure they can handle a Japanese import. But I can't really complain, they have taken care of me a few times, paint-matching my spoiler for free when the paint-match job from eBay was not even close. Also painted my front splitter free.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 10-26-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    How ya figure?
    I figure that it's all good until it isn't then you're really in trouble as insurance company always wins.
    You think they're pushing the app to sell you cheaper insurance? Ha!
    The discount now is to get people to use the app while they get your info for their own self serving benefit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    I figure that it's all good until it isn't then you're really in trouble as insurance company always wins.
    You think they're pushing the app to sell you cheaper insurance? Ha!
    The discount now is to get people to use the app while they get your info for their own self serving benefit.
    Like those pirates that run the air miles program. It's nobody's business but my own if I buy blueberry yogurt and carrots every week!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    My experience was very mixed, I found the app to be very buggy and inaccurate especially with what it deemed to be "hard braking events."

But it was a way to defer rate rises away for another year.
    Just a quick update. Been running the app and have 19 days to go before my estimate comes.

So far, I've had zero hard braking events; not sure if it's because of a better signal but I do put my phone in the cupholder while I drive.

Other than that, it accurately tracks my trips but hasn't done so since Nov 2. I also had to delete a random trip that clearly wasn't mine so I'm not sure how it even got there.

My Ride
    Cayman

I just wanted to bump this thread after spending over an hour on the phone with Bill today.

I have been a long time client of Touchstone so typically I will call in renew my policy, make a payment and BS with Bill for a few minutes. However, on todays phone call I called in with a lot of questions which in turn lead Bill to requote and revise a few things that I did not even think about in regards to my coverage, which in turn saved me a few hundred dollars on next years premiums.

So big thank you to Bill for always picking up the phone and investing time and effort into finding me a good insurance deal and for on occasions steering me away from expensive to insure vehicles lol

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Proyecto2000 View Post
    for on occasions steering me away from expensive to insure vehicles lol
    that's not what friends do....

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Saved my wife money too by reducing coverage while she primarily works from home during covid. Top notch.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bill has been very informative when I have questions.

My Ride
    Silverado

What's everyone seeing for rate increases in the last few months?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast