Quantcast
Preview: Michelin X-Ice Xi3 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Preview: Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Yeah, you'd be lucky to get 60,000km out of them though. I don't recall seeing prices on the Xi3s either so, who knows, they might be a better deal.

Ah well, I've got 4WD so this isn't relevant to my interests anyway :P

Originally posted by rage2
    bump, updated with full review! http://www.beyond.ca/review-michelin...ons/12491.html

I'll do you one better. 3 different brands, each tire showing the tread pattern difference when new, vs 4/32nd tread depth.

Nokian WR:

Michelin Xi3:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Check out the full review, I was able to try those tires out back to back against the Xi3. Disappointed I wasn't able to try the Xi3 vs WS70 with new tread depths... Michelin probably didn't want testers to see how close the WS70 is.

I have been on many, multiple manufacturer set up ride and drives for all variety of brands, models and types. While it is very cool to be able to get hands on experience, it is pretty much a guarantee that whatever the manufacturer that sets up the tests, their own tires always seem to come out on top of the pack no matter what...

Testing, especially in situations that tires see, is very subjective to things such as temperature, vehicle model, driver style, etc etc etc, where as if you were were change one aspect of the test (say lower or higher temps, or heavier vehicle, or RWD vs FWD or any multitude of variables), the results could be completely opposite what they were the previous test day...

While these tires are no doubt a premium quality product, it would be interesting to see multiple long term testing vs other premium brands in multiple situations covering the same tests injecting many or the multiple variables...

And in regards to mileage warranties, good luck to anyone who tries to take advantage of that. Manufacturers will credit you for wear not received NOT based on the cost you paid for the tire, but on a predetermined list price less a token percentage, and almost NOBODY sold you that tire for even close to that cost, so even if you have a claim, you could frequently just buy new tires cheaper than warrantying them, and that is if you can get around a ton of other ridiculous requirements to show your tires were maintained correctly etc... Please don't count on these warranties being a genuine benefit to you the consumer...
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by tirebob
    I have been on many, multiple manufacturer set up ride and drives for all variety of brands, models and types. While it is very cool to be able to get hands on experience, it is pretty much a guarantee that whatever the manufacturer that sets up the tests, their own tires always seem to come out on top of the pack no matter what...
    Agreed, hence my comments (although worded nicely) on the avoidance of real competitors in the new tire test.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    bump, updated with full review!

Check out the full review, I was able to try those tires out back to back against the Xi3. Disappointed I wasn't able to try the Xi3 vs WS70 with new tread depths... Michelin probably didn't want testers to see how close the WS70 is.
    I really wish they would have let you compare them new to new WS70's, Ultragrip Ice WRT's (not just ultragrip's) and the Hakka R's. Personally I care about how they perform new, not at the end of their life, I have no problem spending money more regularly on a better winter tire that doesn't last as long.

I think it is a bit of a joke that they tested them against the Toyo and Conti new. If they have to pick from the bottom of the barrel for new tires to compare to then I don't know that I will have confidence in these.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    FJC, S30

I'm a huge Nokian fan. Can you tell me why they brought in the Hakka R and the WR as well? The WR is a all weather tire, unfair to pit it against winters IMO.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The all weather tire was just to show how big of a gap there was to all seasons vs winter tires. I was talking to an engineer about how huge of a debate it is on beyond on a yearly basis lol

Anyways, here are some short video clips from the event.

My ice drifting skillz:
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Rav4

Soooo, in the end whats the best winter tire for a Calgary commuter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2