Quantcast
Water Damage Around Bathroom Vent - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Water Damage Around Bathroom Vent

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Default Water Damage Around Bathroom Vent

Hi Guys,

I have water damage around my bathroom vent and need to get it fixed (wife is pregnant and we are worried about mold). I can't get into the attic to see what the problem is but I have narrowed it to two possibilities - condensation from an uninsulated vent pipe (possibly the trap on the vent is frozen open) or the vent is leaking through the roof.

Does anybody have any recommendations on who to use to fix this? I am worried that the damaged drywall is really close to the tiled portion of the ceiling and we may need to take the tile down to fix it, in which case we may be better off to redo the entire shower (tiled floor to ceiling with a mix of porcelain, glass and stone).

It almost seems like I need somebody that can do drywall and roofing and possibly tile work which is an unusual combination.

I had the same issue, it was a leaky roof. Replaced the eight year old roof with new shingles. At least I think it fixed the issue, sold and moved a month or so later.

I recall the vent dripped somewhat only on cold winter days after a shower, never in the summer even with rain, so I am not sure the roof was the real issue. Condensation gathering in the attic?

You can get some pretty nice large bathroom ceiling fans to cover the damaged area, much quieter as well. Assuming it is a condensation issue, the attic area must not have proper ventilation as you mention.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-27-2012 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Can you provide a pic, I'll send off to my home inspector for evaluation

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Default Re: Water Damage Around Bathroom Vent

Originally posted by 98brg2d
    (wife is pregnant and we are worried about mold)
    Is she planning on eating it?

Why don't you just go into the attic and see for yourself?

Chances are is that moist air is condensing before it leaves your roof vent and is running back into the attic. Insulating the vent stack would probably be a good start.

Bathroom fans that are installed by builders are generally TERRIBLE and you could probably just get a new one that is stronger and the water issue will stop and then you will just have to patch and sand the damaged drywall.

Mold is kind of unlikely since it is probably pretty dry in the attic and while the water might be damaging the drywall it probably isn't hanging around long enough to get moldy. You are more likely to see mold on the inside of your bathroom than on the attic side.

My Ride

I would go in the attic myself but I don't physically fit through the opening (the roof is too low for me to make the bend, I am too tall).

To address other comments, this is not a new house, it is from '78 and the bathroom has been renovated extensively (before I moved in, I think around '03) including a new fan, it is not a cheap home builder stock item.

More photos to come. The damage is not showing up well in the photos, flash or no flash so please bare that in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride

Photo 2. The damaged paint is within three inches of the tile edge.

My Ride

Photo 3.

It's likely just condensation running down the ducting and pooling up around the fan, it happens. Sometimes blowing snow & driving rain can make it's way into the ducting and cause this issue.

Have someone go up and ensure the ducting is properly insulated. As well, make sure the roof cap is properly sealed up on the roof and faces down slope.

I wouldn't worry about mold at this point. If it were that bad, the mold would be all over the underside in the bathroom.

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

Masconguys post nailed it. It is warm water (condensation) hitting a near frozen pipe (ducting) the condensate pools up in this duct and if not insulated properly then condensates on the inside of the pipe and drips back down to the lowest point (your fan)

I don't see any mold there at all, the drywall will be wrecked and should be replaced but mold is not there yet from the pics that you have provided.