Quantcast
Riding with passenger, your thoughts? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding with passenger, your thoughts?

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Default Riding with passenger, your thoughts?

Just wondering how everyone feels about riding with a passenger. I'm not a huge fan and don't want some douche running me off the road while my old lady is on the back but a few friends seem to have different opinions.

I just weigh the risk/reward and see a ton more risk then reward. BTW, this is on a sport bike, I've ridden harleys with my old lady on the back but sport bikes just don't feel right to me.

What do you guys do?
    Last edited by ddduke; 01-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    14' 435i

i dont mind at all, both my passengers have been 100~ lbs so i can barely tell they are there. i know they both loved being there.

as long as they know how to be a passenger properly and I pay attention to whats around me, im fine with it, i tend to be a bit more cautious when i have a passenger too.
    Last edited by GOnSHO; 01-31-2012 at 07:27 PM.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

I take my 92 lb GF all the time - but you ride slower, braking distance, accell - everything becomes that of a car - not really fun to be honest - if she wants to go for a rip it's all good

My Ride
    14' 435i

you dont need to ride slower.. you need to ride smarter..

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If shes "bike trained", usually its not an issue.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Yeah this.^ Thats the biggest issue right there. I usually have to take the time to explain the fundamentals of mimicking what I do on the bike. Obviously I'd NEVER do amazingly stupid shit like put my knee down; leave alone expect her to (if thats even possible) but I do let them know; when I lean, lean with me. Dont try to "balance it out" by leaning the opposite way (yes I've had girls do that).

On a sportbike; the biggest favor I can (as a guy) do for your "junk" would be this bit of advice:
    Tell the girl to keep her hands around your waist, unless when you're braking. When you are about to brake; ease into it so she'll know to take her hands off your waist and put her hands on the back of the tank to hold her weight as you slow down.
    ^ Make sure you tell her this.

Most chicks dont even think of this at all, and keep holding on the same way (around your waist) regardless; not even thinking of exactly whats bearing the whole weight of not only your lower torso but all of her weight as well. Meanwhile braking (leave alone sudden braking) becomes enormously uncomfortable.

I always take it really easy. Especially when she's never been on a bike before. With all of no-seat behind her; I can see how terrifying it must be riding behind some idiot trying to "impress her".
    I had a buddy do exactly this and wonder why all his GF's were suddenly paranoid about bikes after a short ride with him.

But anyway, take it easy, and understand that there is all of 2" of real estate space right behind her ass, so ride accordingly, and be extra safe. Consider it like "driving miss Daisy" and I've never had a problem ever.... no matter how afraid some of them initially were.

If you ride comfortably and consistently, not doing anything remotely stupid then they really begin to relax and not mind being on the back of the bike at all.
    EDIT: Oh yeah and one more thing; always take into account that the girl may not have a clue as to what to do VS. what NOT to do as a passenger. That whole "counter-lean" thing I mentioned earlier happened half way around a clover leaf. Needless to say: I was quite glad I was riding WELL within my comfort zone to be able to properly react before telling her how bad of an idea that was.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-31-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Yeah this.^ Thats the biggest issue right there. I usually have to take the time to explain the fundamentals of mimicking what I do on the bike. Obviously I'd NEVER do amazingly stupid shit like put my knee down; leave alone expect her to (if thats even possible) but I do let them know; when I lean, lean with me. Dont try to "balance it out" by leaning the opposite way (yes I've had girls do that).
    I have found it easiest to ask passengers not to lean but instead to look over the shoulder of the direction I am turning. It seems to keep their balance from shifting around. An added benefit is that you can feel their body and head position and make adjustments accordingly.

My Ride
    CBR600rr, MK7

I don't like having a passenger. It feels uncomfortable but definitely do-able.
    And you can't complain when girls like the under tail exhaust!

I absolutely hate it, and try to avoid it whenever possible

helmet bump... helmet bump... bump... bump

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've done 8 hours with a back passenger on a sport bike, but that wasnt riding 100% of the time either. Breaks are a must every hour. Its doable with the right passenger; she wasnt tiny, but she was well trained.

I don't mind it for cruising around town for short periods of time but on a 600 I find that it really takes some of the "life" out of the bike. I also find that my wrists get sore after an extended period and the helmet bump gets pretty annoying.

My Ride
    CRF450R,r6,lifted GM

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    I don't mind it for cruising around town for short periods of time but on a 600 I find that it really takes some of the "life" out of the bike. I also find that my wrists get sore after an extended period and the helmet bump gets pretty annoying.
    YES! helmet bump is sooooooo annoying

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Not a big fan of two-up on a sportbike. Having a well trained passenger helps, but it's still not something I look forward to. Lucky me; the wifey has her own bike, so it's not often that I ride with a passenger anyway.

My Ride
    CRF450R,r6,lifted GM

i dont like having a passenger just because its such a big responsibility.. always stay the speed limit and keep my distance and all. To be honest its already dangerous enough riding a bike period... doesnt matter how experienced you are there will be that one person that cuts you off.. or doesnt see you. yes i ride with a passenger sometimes but i like some of you guys try to avoid it as much as possible that i even take the rear pegs off so it makes it more work for me ( to re bolt them on ) every time i have a passenger

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by japan_us
    Not a big fan of two-up on a sportbike. Having a well trained passenger helps, but it's still not something I look forward to. Lucky me; the wifey has her own bike, so it's not often that I ride with a passenger anyway.
    Must be nice. I offered to pay for my girl's course, license, gear and get her a newish 250 ninja to learn on but that was a no go.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

Originally posted by ddduke

Must be nice. I offered to pay for my girl's course, license, gear and get her a newish 250 ninja to learn on but that was a no go.
    I have the opposite problem.

She WANTS a bike. I told her it wouldn't be a good idea - she can barely drive a car, her reaction time is horrible, situational awareness is horrible. Asian female for you.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Scat E46

She WANTS a bike. I told her it wouldn't be a good idea - she can barely drive a car, her reaction time is horrible, situational awareness is horrible. Asian female for you.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by Scat E46

I have the opposite problem.

I am of the same opinion. But then again I am a sexist, female hating Albertan. I do see a lot of beasts riding harleys so I suppose some woman are suited to riding.

I ride two up pretty often- it's been mentioned throughout this thread that training is key to a good two-up ride on a sport bike. But your wrist/crotch don't have to suffer just because you have a marginal passenger on the back.... that's why you have a tank to squeeze with your legs under braking
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

I agree with most on here. I ride with my girl on the back sometimes, even though she's only 100lbs it does make the bike feel heavier turning/braking. Helmet knock is really annoying, but she's gotten better at not doing that. The biggest thing is to train them to either move with you or just stay put. If you're mid-turn and she decides to switch which of your shoulders her head is on it can really throw you off.

It can also be hard to hear each other sometimes so I got some headsets off ebay that connect together so we can talk to each other without shouting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast