Quantcast
MK7 GTi - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MK7 GTi

My Ride
    VAG

Default MK7 GTi

The current Mk6 is of course not much more than a heavily facelifted Mk5. But the Mk7 is all-new, sitting on an entirely fresh and highly configurable VW Group platform called MQB. Model for model, new Golfs will be at least 70kg lighter than the ones they replace. Savings come from extra high-strength steel in the shell, optimised suspensions, and lighter engines and ancillaries. But there's more to it than that. Volkswagen has patented a special welding process that means it can build GTI bodyshells with aluminium roofs, mixed up along the production line with steel-roofed regular Golfs. This means the weight drop for the GTI will be about 100kg compared with now, because it will have aluminium welded into the shell as well as in bolt-ons like the bonnet.
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...k-7-2012-01-30

Wonder what the next Golf-R is going to be like

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Re: MK7 GTi

Originally posted by Trinzler
    Wonder what the next Golf-R is going to be like
    If it's anything like the last two iterations nothing more than a mild upgrade on the GTI, slower than an STI, and substantially slower than an EVO.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

meh, we wont see anything close to what europe gets over here.

Take the Euro Golf R vs. the North American golf R.... they are nothing alike really.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

That's enough to be felt. The car will be more agile, and with less weight to pull the engine it will have an easier time of it. We understand that the motor won't go much beyond about 230bhp, but by switching to the Audi Valvelift system, it will be torquier than today - up to nearly 260lb ft.
    230HP

When will VW learn

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

200 HP makes for a pretty fun ride in a GTI or A3. Hopefully the 230 HP will have some mechanical changes to it and not just an ECU flash.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by 94boosted

230HP

When will VW learn
    Should be enough for sub 6 second 0-60 run with DSG. That's pretty much as good as it's gonna get in a FWD car. Otherwise you have to limit boost in first few gears like other manufacturers do.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Default Re: Re: MK7 GTi

Originally posted by heavyD

If it's anything like the last two iterations nothing more than a mild upgrade on the GTI, slower than an STI, and substantially slower than an EVO.
    you forgot to mention substantially more sophisticated on road handling compared to either an STI or EVO, not to mention interior quality/amenities far beyond the offerings of either the subaru or mitsubishi. while this car will not be as fast as either the STI or EVO, you can't discount the fact the GTI will do a lot of things better for a lot of people.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by nickyh
    meh, we wont see anything close to what europe gets over here.

Take the Euro Golf R vs. the North American golf R.... they are nothing alike really.
    Wat
    I thought the differences are a little bit less power, manual instead of dsg and regular tail lights.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by schocker

Wat
    I thought the differences are a little bit less power, manual instead of dsg and regular tail lights.
    Adding on to what you've listed:

- less power
    - manual only
    - led tails
    ~Different suspension (EU spec sits lower and has Dynamic Chassis Control)
    ~Different seats (EU spec gets Recaro Sport seats and NA gets regular GTI seats)
    ~Cannot disable traction control (EU can fully disable their TC)
    ~No auto-dimming mirrors
    ~No black headlight housing (NA get the standard GTI housing)
    ~No 19" rims
    ~No PDC
    ~No back-up camera
    ~No auto-headlights
    ~Less color options

I think that is all haha.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Compare the cost of a na golf r and a euro golf r. I don't know the number off the top of my head but it's 10k at least. We are lucky to get it if you ask me. But still I have a hard time spending 42k on that car.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Re: Re: Re: MK7 GTi

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    while this car will not be as fast as either the STI or EVO, you can't discount the fact the GTI will do a lot of things better for a lot of people.
    Yeah but the regular GTI does those same things better for a lot of people at far less a price. The Golf-R is supposed to be a high performance Golf but it's really just an AWD GTI.

My Ride
    MK7

ugh, am i the only one that wishes we could get that new TDI GTI here? 190bhp, 280tq and ridiculous mileage? yes please!

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

With leather and sun roof a gti is $36000. So for $6000 you get a k04 turbo, awd and rareness.

My Ride
    VAG

Originally posted by danno
    With leather and sun roof a gti is $36000. So for $6000 you get a k04 turbo, awd and rareness.
    Don't forget crazy resale value like the R32's

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

i would get excited over the news if VW announced they were bringing the Scirocco here.

To read a european article and think we will see the same specs here, we are fooling ourselves.
    Besides, based on the MK7 pics out there right now, I'll hang onto my MK6 for awhile thanks.

The US dictates too much of what we see here in Canada as we are such a small market.

IF they brought a TDI GTI (GTG) to Canada, you can bet I would think about trading in my current GTI, but I don't see it happening.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Aleks

Should be enough for sub 6 second 0-60 run with DSG. That's pretty much as good as it's gonna get in a FWD car. Otherwise you have to limit boost in first few gears like other manufacturers do.
    A sub 5.5 Second 0-60 is acheivable with FWD cars. Take for instance the Cobalt SS/TC 5.4 Sec. 0-60 and no boost reduction in any gears, it's definetly doable. Besides it's not just about straight line acceleration more power is always welcome in cars such as these. Cars like the MS3, Caliber SRT-4 and Cobalt SS/TC were/are all packing well over 250HP and the new pocket rocket's coming down the pipe aren't getting any less powerfull.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by 94boosted

A sub 5.5 Second 0-60 is acheivable with FWD cars. Take for instance the Cobalt SS/TC 5.4 Sec. 0-60 and no boost reduction in any gears, it's definetly doable. Besides it's not just about straight line acceleration more power is always welcome in cars such as these. Cars like the MS3, Caliber SRT-4 and Cobalt SS/TC were/are all packing well over 250HP and the new pocket rocket's coming down the pipe aren't getting any less powerfull.
    Sure it's achievable but not that doesn't mean it's desireable. I owned an SRT-4 back in the day and the unavoidable torque steer really kills the fun factor and makes spirited driving more of a chore than it should be. Once you get to the point of a 5 second 0-60 as a manufacturer you have to ask what kind of goal are you actually trying to achieve as you cross from fun, quick little FWD car or a torque steering mess. Yes I know RevoKnuckle and other types of torque steer bandaids exist but really when you get to this point it's lipstick on a pig. If the goal of a car project is ultimate speed past a certain point then RWD or AWD should be tabled so it's done right.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Sure it's achievable but not that doesn't mean it's desireable. I owned an SRT-4 back in the day and the unavoidable torque steer really kills the fun factor and makes spirited driving more of a chore than it should be. Once you get to the point of a 5 second 0-60 as a manufacturer you have to ask what kind of goal are you actually trying to achieve as you cross from fun, quick little FWD car or a torque steering mess. Yes I know RevoKnuckle and other types of torque steer bandaids exist but really when you get to this point it's lipstick on a pig. If the goal of a car project is ultimate speed past a certain point then RWD or AWD should be tabled so it's done right.
    Agree with this. I'm actually surprised VW is going to try and run 260ft-lb of tq through the front wheels. GTI has always been more about balance than all out power. With them planning to lighten it too it should be quite a bit faster than current model.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Agreed for sure, I'm not saying the GTi should be some 300+ HP monster that requires a powelifters forearms to control the torque steer, I just think it should be able to compete with the cars in it's class power wise and with it's current 200HP it gets left behind and with 230HP it's not going to be doing much better IMO track or straight line.

And as you mentioned your self RevoKnuckle and the other electro-mechanical racks do help to quell some of the torque steer it will obviously be present but it is getting better.

Great car, great fit & finish, great balance but IMO underpowered, to each their own I suppose.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast