Quantcast
$1000 budget, suggest a bike - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $1000 budget, suggest a bike

My Ride
    VAG

Default $1000 budget, suggest a bike

I'm a complete newb when it comes to bikes, I briefly had one from Toys-R-Us when I was a lot younger. I haven't actually ridden a bike in the last decade or so but since work is relocating me closer to my shop I was thinking about getting one. My route is all paved and literally consists of just 2 medium grade hills. What do you guys suggest as a good all around bike that'll last a long time and doesn't require much maintenance ? My budget is $500-$1000.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Check out bowcycle, and Id buy something along the lines of a cross bike if i were you, because then it will still be enough bike to hit Nose Hill hard, and not make your commute balls (like a MTB would).

Also, im a die-hard for Eurotech Cycle (the owners are gone on holidays until Feb 14th though, so the shop is closed until then unfortunately).

EDIT: How tall are you? and whats your inseam? (whats the length of your jeans?) I may have a good bike for you myself (not bike in pic)... PM me if you're interested.

EDIT #2: I built up my commuter from scratch, bought frame, bars, wheels, etc.... Now my bike after that came to quite a bit over $1000 even though its not the prettiest thing, but its built like a beast... But its another option for you to consider. (also PM me if you want to go this route, and i'll give you some pointers)

Good Luck!
    Ride Fast!!
    Last edited by swak; 02-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Maybe look into a cyclo-sport since they're a bit more rugged than a conventional road bike and come with more suitable tires.

Pinkbike if you're looking at used, Bow Cycle or Pedalhead for new.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    VAG

Well unforunately work has relocated me here to Edmonton for the next while so I'll probably be swinging into either united cycle close to white ave. In terms of regular maintenance what am I looking at for one of those cyclosports ? Is there anything special I have to take into consideration other than grabbing a helmet and hopping on ?

Swak - I'm 5'8 and 180 pounds. I'm curious though, when I had my old shitty mountain bike the handles were always higher (almost straight), what is the point of the extended handle bars ? Is it easier to ride longer when your leaning forward ?

Apologizes everyone if I sound like a tard, like I said I'm pretty new to this.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Yes, I think you're referring to "drop bars" (like on road bikes) or "aero bars" (on TT bikes)... But those bars provide for a far more comfortable and natural riding position. And they're often low for aerodynamics more than anything. From the years, I've gotten to the point where its just as comfortable down low as it is sitting upright for the most part.

For maint. Keep your bike clean (degreaser and a rag and simple green does wonders). Other than that just ride (and I'd get er tuned up yearly if you're not familiar with bike mechanics). Then if you become even more serious, go clipless (pedals where you clip in). Have fun dude!!

But besides United's huge shop, I'd also recommend "Velocity cycle" in the NEish end. Smaller shop, but again, great group of guys.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Rocky Mountain Fusion.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...1_1527crx.aspx

Then you're not limited to the pavement like the other suggestions here.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by codetrap
    Rocky Mountain Fusion.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...1_1527crx.aspx

Then you're not limited to the pavement like the other suggestions here.
    Thats actually a really decent bike for the price.
    But i suggested a cross bike which is not by a long shot dedicated to pavement.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by swak

+1 for a cyclocross bike. Super durable. I ride a 2010 Jake The Snake and I go everywhere with it.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by zipdoa

+1 for a cyclocross bike. Super durable. I ride a 2010 Jake The Snake and I go everywhere with it.
    Good choice man!
    I hole-heartedy believe that the Jake is THE BEST cross bike out there. Period.
    Super stiff, nice geo, just a fun bike!

It makes you faster on the pavement than a mountain bike, and its still more than enough bike to shred Nose Hill or Fish Creek with.

Hell, I was marshaling a race at the Canmore Nordic Center, and a racer was racing on a Jake! Blew my mind... Because its real technical out there, and he still placed in top 10.
    ... i tried to find a pic, so you'll have to take my word on that one

+1 Kona JTS , i have one and its a brilliant bike, fast on the street, eats hills and good for trails.

My Ride

Good choice man!
    I hole-heartedy believe that the Jake is THE BEST cross bike out there. Period.
    Super stiff, nice geo, just a fun bike!

It makes you faster on the pavement than a mountain bike, and its still more than enough bike to shred Nose Hill or Fish Creek with.

Hell, I was marshaling a race at the Canmore Nordic Center, and a racer was racing on a Jake! Blew my mind... Because its real technical out there, and he still placed in top 10.
    ... i tried to find a pic, so you'll have to take my word on that one
    Wish I ponied up for the Major Jake, but I'm just not at that skill level.

I'm amazed at how agile I can be clipped in. I've done 45' + inclines and powered through it. My only complaint was that at 6'7, I'm able to top it out the bike on flat ground. Probably go with a slightly smaller 2nd ring up front next year.

On that note... if any tall dudes wanna buy my bike, I'll happily part with it and buy 'the fox' from bow!

My Ride
    '19 GTI

... You mean bigger ring up front if you're maxing out your gears amirite?

Or buy a new cassette (height has nothing to do with that btw, its power).
    I'm only 5'7" and could probably do the same if you don't have a high enough high gear.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Wish I ponied up for the Major Jake, but I'm just not at that skill level.

I'm amazed at how agile I can be clipped in. I've done 45' + inclines and powered through it. My only complaint was that at 6'7, I'm able to top it out the bike on flat ground. Probably go with a slightly smaller 2nd ring up front next year.

On that note... if any tall dudes wanna buy my bike, I'll happily part with it and buy 'the fox' from bow!

How muhh? i need a form of cardio that my ADD wont interfere with. i was going to buy a bike last year but just got too busy.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I looked over that Jake, I didn't realize they were as reinforced as they actually are. I can see why for urban and light cross you'd do well on them. The geometry of that Jake is *very* similar to the KHS Montana Summit I had back in the 90's. I'd changed out the regular bars and put aero's on it, then proceeded to rack up a few thousand clicks per summer. Which is why I need new hips now.. *sigh*..

Still have that bike in storage at my parents too. Fun one to book around in the back country north of Edtn, and up through the river valley there. Ah the memories.... 8D

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Element

Is it the 61cm?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Instead of a new thread, I'll bump this one.

Thinking of picking a bike up as well. Strictly a road bike as I don't see myself ever riding any different terrain. Sort of the same budget as OP, upwards to $1000.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'5~ 245lbs. So what would you guys suggest?
    Last edited by brucebanner; 02-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by JfuckinC

How muhh? i need a form of cardio that my ADD wont interfere with. i was going to buy a bike last year but just got too busy.
    Not sure what it's worth... it's minty though. $800?

Originally posted by Live2Ride

Is it the 61cm?
    Yes Sir. Apparently fits big though.

My Ride
    Domestic

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes...8-7-sora-25382

Cannondale makes a solid road bike for bigger guys!!

My Ride
    b Swatter

Default .

Last edited by Mtn Tow; 02-27-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Originally posted by ercchry
    isnt this the guy who dragged his dog behind his truck and didnt even know it?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Alright Beyond, I have my search down to two bikes I believe and I need your guy's help to decide which is a better bike, with better components.

Looking between a Jamis Allegro3x and a Asama Velocite

The Jamis:
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...allegro3x.html

The Asama:
    http://www.asamabicycles.com/asama_b...ail.php?i=1544

Both come in under the set budget, I just would like some solid opinions on which is a better bike(or something better altogether).

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast