Quantcast
PS Vita - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: PS Vita

My Ride
    VAG

Default PS Vita

Vita is about to drop soon, anyone picking one up ?

Nope, had a modded PSP that I never really used.

I think we are going to see the end of dedicated mobile gaming devices- why invest in another unit to lug around when phones are coming close in capability?

Mobiles are replacing GPS's, watches, and who knows what else as well...

My Ride
    VAG

I agree with you for the most part, but it's just a shame that you can't get Mario or any of the other handheld classics on the android or appstore marketplace. The thing that's most alluring to me is to be able to play classic PS1 and PS2 games on the go... Plus I heard Uncharted is worth the price of admission alone for the Vita.

My Ride
    Grimace

I almost jumped on the preorder one with the bonus items. But $300, I dont think I would play it much and I have regretted purchasing my PS3 for years now. I wouldn't play it on the train and if I am at home I would play 360 or PC games.

My Ride
    STi

Alot of the gaming on android and iOS is really gimmicky and they lack the big console titles i.e, uncharted. Also the lack of actual buttons or control pads is a turn off. However, I rarely play portable systems, so I'm not sure I'd be willing to shell out 300 dollars for one. Like schoker mentioned, if I'm gaming at home it's usually on the computer.

My Ride
    ED-7

it's a great system... but most people wont buy it because they assume that they can get the same type of gaming experience on their smartphones. Oh well.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

Originally posted by Trinzler
    I agree with you for the most part, but it's just a shame that you can't get Mario or any of the other handheld classics on the android or appstore marketplace. The thing that's most alluring to me is to be able to play classic PS1 and PS2 games on the go... Plus I heard Uncharted is worth the price of admission alone for the Vita.
    Nintendo, Sony, etc are totally missing the boat by not licensing emulators.

Let my ps3 controller pair with my phone to EASILY play downloaded ps1 and ps2 games.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by WhippWhapp
    Nope, had a modded PSP that I never really used.

I think we are going to see the end of dedicated mobile gaming devices- why invest in another unit to lug around when phones are coming close in capability?

Mobiles are replacing GPS's, watches, and who knows what else as well...
    People that are saying this are the same ones who say PC gaming is dying because of consoles, its simply not true. A smart phone will never replace or be as good as a dedicated gaming platform. The Nintendo DS and all its variants are selling by the truck load still.

Anyway, not getting one.

Originally posted by AG_Styles
    it's a great system... but most people wont buy it because they assume that they can get the same type of gaming experience on their smartphones. Oh well.
    Pretty much. If they are content with angry birds and awful touchscreen controls for console like games more power to them I guess.

Originally posted by ZEDGE

People that are saying this are the same ones who say PC gaming is dying because of consoles, its simply not true. A smart phone will never replace or be as good as a dedicated gaming platform. The Nintendo DS and all its variants are selling by the truck load still.

Anyway, not getting one.

Pretty much. If they are content with angry birds and awful touchscreen controls for console like games more power to them I guess.
    3 bills is a lot of content on 360, ps3, or my PC; and I'm sure most people feel the same way.

MKV support?

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by WhippWhapp

3 bills is a lot of content on 360, ps3, or my PC; and I'm sure most people feel the same way.

MKV support?
    Why are you comparing the cost of the device to content? Didn't the 360, or PS3 cost you 3 bills?

Don't get your point.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

In this day an age I can only afford to carry around one device thats fully charged at all times. Especially now that phone game market has exploded, that is tough competition. And those quirky iOS/Android games are perfect for on the go users.

Sony had a perfect opportunity to make this a game/phone hybrid and take advantage of both users. Merge Ericson with Playstation brand. It even has the 3g capabilities. If they had altered the design a bit to work better as a phone, it could've been alot more interesting and I would've got one right away.

Hell people drop 600+ on iphones now, it could've justified the price as well.

For now I'm holding out till it drops in price.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by black13

Sony had a perfect opportunity to make this a game/phone hybrid and take advantage of both users. Merge Ericson with Playstation brand. It even has the 3g capabilities. If they had altered the design a bit to work better as a phone, it could've been alot more interesting and I would've got one right away.

You have never heard of the xperia play?

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Originally posted by ZEDGE

You have never heard of the xperia play?
    yea i did, its garbage. That level quality games I can get on my Galaxy already. They did a half ass job on that. The Vita is where they could've done taken real good advantage of it instead of still seperating the the two.

My Ride
    VAG

Eh you kids are beating a dead horse with a stick. The Vita and 3DS are probably going to be one of the few last true dedicated hand held portables, and I think what differentiate the people from buying one or another is if the person is a hardcore or casual gamer.

Other than a few ports on the iPhone and Android the quality of games are still higher in the portable segment (Mario, Metroid, Uncharted, etc) but the real question is if you want to drop 700 dollars on a phone and pay $.99-$15 for a game or spend 350 on a system and pay $30-$40 on a game. It's gonna be awhile to say the least for the portable segment to die down, but I have a feeling that it's just going to swing more towards a niche market.

If Sony came up with a way for this to run Win8, I'd buy.

My Ride
    ED-7

Originally posted by Trinzler

[/B]
    what this comic strip is missing is the last frame that says:
    " in order to enjoy those 40 games, you would have to pay for a bunch of extra content (in game purchase items) in order to get the full game experience"

pretty much people are forgetting that since the quality of games are increasing, the dev costs are starting to pick up and $1 quality titles will be a thing of the past.

free-to-play is the new trend but you will start to see an absurd amount of in-game purchases in those games. In addition, these models are only viable when an app hits over 20million downloads since only 1-2% of targets pay for items.

I would say handhelds are in a decline for now, but with the changing business models on mobile and "cheap" apps, they might end up making a resurgence again in 5 years.

Still doesn't change the fact there is an A9 processor in the VITA. It's a nice piece of tech. I think I saw the initial spec sheet at work a year ago and they were using an unreleased core i9 chip during the first few prototypes they gave out, but shit, it burned hot and battery only lasted 15 mins.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    VAG

Did anyone else here pick one up though ? We should start a beyond crew on NEAR.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Still can't decide if I'll get it or not... I modded the fuck out of my PSP and played it for all of maybe two months.

I don't think I've touched it in the last two years.

... not sure.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I modded my PSP too, and put a bunch of old PSX games on it. Great for nostalgic games, but that's about it.

will not be buying the ps vita unless i can mod it to play a bunch of ps2 games

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

throw on some emulators for old school games. done deal.