Quantcast
Stucco & roof repair Q - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stucco & roof repair Q

My Ride
    4x4

Default Stucco & roof repair Q

Well it was a nice negotiating point But how do I really fix it...

Bought a place (30x26 garage - SWEET!) But have an issue to deal with...

Whenever the garage was added, they didn't bother put in flashing between garage roof - and house's stucco.

So water's gotten into the stucco, pretty much destroyed it for ~6" above the roof... It's been patched repeatedly by the looks of it, just nobody's bothered to do it right...

So, here's the question - what do I do to repair... Got some semi-useless quotes from a couple companies - with little detail on what they'd do other than repair roof section, repair damaged stucco and install flashing...

Educated guess, I'm going to have to pull that first row of shingles beside the house (luckily it's a BP product that's still available - insurance just replaced half of the house roof with it)

Knock out those slathered on patches

*** Prep *** how/what - wood behind is damp, the ... chickenwire (whatever you want to call it) is rusted, so either have to prep/replace that.

Patching the stucco isn't too bad from there (especially since it'll be hidden behind flashing)

Then an elastomeric paint (going to do all the stucco with it anyway) to seal.

Then replace roof / flash properly...

Am I missing anything?

Is there anything I can do on the uphill side of the chimney? Not a big fan of that area - I can see they've done a bunch of patches up above on the main roof too - water seems to pool here...

Thanks in advance,

Andy

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

What is the condition of the building paper? Having the paper properly lapped with the flashing is what will keep things from leaking. As for above the chimney, frame up a peak and shingle it, so water does not collect there.

My Ride
    4x4

1980 construction - I didn't see any tar paper/tyvek/etc behind - could be that it's been damaged / rotted/ after 30ish years of exposure...

My Ride
    Is 24 years older than I am

Depending on what they put in the stucco, there's a chance the building paper has disintegrated. What sxtasy said though frame up that dead valley and shingle it to prevent water from sitting there. I'd bang out all that parging and install wall flashing up the along the house and flashing under the bottom of the chimney. You'll want to pull the shingles out as well. Don't worry though, if they're BP they probably not sticking down so they'll be easy to remove.

As for the paint. Make sure it is a breathable elastimaric paint or you'll be dealing with problems. STO silco lactic is the best stuff for painting over stucco.

And you don't want to install flashing over stucco. You really want to remove the stucco, install flashing directly against the house, then stucco patch over it ir you'll be dealing with moisture getting behind the flashing as stucco.

There are a number of stucco and roofing guys that deal with this type of stuff and can do it for you as well

That's a good doable project.
    I'm a baller on a budget, I'll do a project and come back and tear the outlet mall up.