Quantcast
Advice on graduation watch (~$15000) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on graduation watch (~$15000)

Default Advice on graduation watch (~$15000)

Hey guys,

Im not very knowledgable in the area of watches, and i was hoping you guys would be able to help me out, i understand there are numerous nice watch threads, but i was hoping for some more personal opinions!

my parents are going to be getting me a watch as a graduation present, the budget would be around 15K

I want some opinions on a timeless watch. not something too trendy that will go out of style in a few years, but at the same time something exciting.

i currently own a movado faceto, i have always loved the omega seamster 300m, but i wanted something a little more substantial. the rolex submariner is another one of my favs, but again pretty common.

I'm pretty sure my parents are going to be buying from brinkhaus, so please keep in mind the 15000k price tag, and that it will be spent in store and not online.

thanks for the help! looking forward to seeing the suggestions.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Maybe move to the First World Problem thread, more hits there?

No idea what this watch is worth: http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/vintage/IW3233/

That is the style I would be seeking, the trouble with watches having all the dials and whiz-bang is that they age really poorly. Understated and "timeless" have no need for pop and fizz. You could wear the watch above for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-10-2012 at 08:39 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you're going to Brinkhaus the only 2 brands that fit your criteria and price range would be Rolex or IWC. Rolex is too Asian for my tastes, so I would look at this:

http://catalog.iwc.com/product-detai...countryCode=US

New would be a little closer to 20 with discounts, used in unworn condition the pop up at around 15.

Omega and Rolex, while timeless, are too bland IMO.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Looks like rage2 and I are singing off the same song sheet. IWC is the place to be.

Thanks for the input guys.

Rage: don't want to limit my choice of brands based on store, would deff be willing to buy from any jeweler, i just don't think my parents are comfortable with online sales.

also should have mentioned before I'm not too fond of rectangular faces!

Canmore: not too fond of roman numerals, otherwise nice looking watch. ill deff try to find an example to try on.

edit: ya looks like you're both pointing me in the same direction. never really thought about IWC, will make sure to look into more of there options
    Last edited by jaysas_63; 02-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Just get an AP Royal Oak and call it a day. There's enough dbag watch snobs that'll keep that watch timeless for a long time. It looks more unique than your average Rolex, makes you look a little more creative in watch choice lol.

I'd recommend Hublot but that would probably be considered too trendy for your tastes. Too many rappers jacking up the prices, so it's actually quite tough to find a good one in the $15k range these days.

There's no AP dealers in Calgary so you'll have to get it shipped from Vancouver or Toronto. I can definately help you with that.

As for used shopping, I deal with a Swiss broker (think Kulu but for watches) that finds me uber rare stuff, and hard to get limited editions new from the factory. Bonus is no duty for watches shipped from Switzerland.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wow...I wish I was a spoiled shit!

I saw some nice Rolex's there the other week...unlike Rage2 I like them

I would actually go into the store without your parents and start looking at a few watches...what I have learned is what looks nice online you might hate when you go and try it on.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I grew up as a fob, and all I ever hear are parents, uncles and aunts talking about "gum low lick see". To me it's purely a status watch to flaunt wealth.

I like watches that nobody knows about except for other watch snobs. TBH Hublots are starting to get too flashy for me. It was cool when I first got em and nobody knew about the brand. Hopefully this rapper thing is just a short phase that'll go away.

But ya, if your goal is to show everyone that you have cash, Rolex is your best bet. Its by far the most well known luxury watch brand, even though they're kinda cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Waiting for ScCab's rebuttal.

Originally posted by rage2
    Just get an AP Royal Oak and call it a day. There's enough dbag watch snobs that'll keep that watch timeless for a long time. It looks more unique than your average Rolex, makes you look a little more creative in watch choice lol.

I'd recommend Hublot but that would probably be considered too trendy for your tastes. Too many rappers jacking up the prices, so it's actually quite tough to find a good one in the $15k range these days.

There's no AP dealers in Calgary so you'll have to get it shipped from Vancouver or Toronto. I can definately help you with that.

As for used shopping, I deal with a Swiss broker (think Kulu but for watches) that finds me uber rare stuff, and hard to get limited editions new from the factory. Bonus is no duty for watches shipped from Switzerland.
    deff going to add the royal oak on the list.

interms of the hublot, you're right, I'm just not too sure how they'll age.

i was contemplating used watches to save some money, and possibly get something a little nicer than if i were to buy new. just afraid of counterfeits. I'm sure if you've used this broker in the past he's only dealing with good merchandise. id appreciate his contact info if you could PM me it!
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://watches.de

He also gets new watches at pretty big discounts. Ignore his posted prices, they're 20-30% higher than actual closing prices.

Originally posted by Type_S1

I would actually go into the store without your parents and start looking at a few watches...what I have learned is what looks nice online you might hate when you go and try it on.
    most definitely! just wanted to get a sense of what to look for so i don't waste too much of a sales persons time that i won't be buying from

http://watches.de

He also gets new watches at pretty big discounts. Ignore his posted prices, they're 20-30% higher than actual closing prices.
    thanks for the link
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's a hublot that'll age well. Classy and simple.

http://www.watchesonnet.com/511-cp-1780-rx.html

I just picked one up for my gf. In case you change your mind about Hublots.

Here's a hublot that'll age well. Classy and simple.

http://www.watchesonnet.com/511-cp-1780-rx.html

I just picked one up for my gf. In case you change your mind about Hublots.
    i like it.

also saw this one that caught my eye:
    Hublot Classic Fusion 45 mm Titanium Chronograph Watch 521.NX.1170.NX

i guess I'm going to have to try these on as well. any idea where in the city ill be able to find these?
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Calgary Jewellery carries Hublots although I'm not sure if they have any classic fusions in stock right now. I'm sure I can line one up for you from my collection if you wanna try.

One of my favorite traits is the tough ceramic case. It's literally unscratchable. You're bound to smack the watch accidently here and there so if you want the watch to look brand new get one with a ceramic case (black). I guess that doesn't help if you don't like black watches.

Titanium is slightly tougher than Zirconium, and I was able to get a nice nick on my Zirconium Hublot from a damn bathroom door (had to shit bad lol).

I would get something that has a timeless look and something that will always be a classic. Get the Rolex Sub IMO.

Don't be a trendy douche like rage2

Calgary Jewellery carries Hublots although I'm not sure if they have any classic fusions in stock right now. I'm sure I can line one up for you from my collection if you wanna try.

One of my favorite traits is the tough ceramic case. It's literally unscratchable. You're bound to smack the watch accidently here and there so if you want the watch to look brand new get one with a ceramic case (black). I guess that doesn't help if you don't like black watches.

Titanium is slightly tougher than Zirconium, and I was able to get a nice nick on my Zirconium Hublot from a damn bathroom door (had to shit bad lol).
    i'll go check out calgary jewelry when i get into town in a few weeks. if they can't help me out ill take you up on your offer and trouble you for a bit, thanks again!

Originally posted by ScCab
    I would get something that has a timeless look and something that will always be a classic. Get the Rolex Sub IMO.

Don't be a trendy douche like rage2

the two tone submariner with blue face/dial is still pretty high up on my list
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Fuck, they must have hid bricks of solid gold around the house when you were a kid for Easter!!

I worked quite a long time for mine but I love my Daytona.
    Yacht-Master's are beautiful as well.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The Rolex Daytona is a beautiful and timeless piece. I'll have one at some point...probably not very soon though How much did you end up spending? PM if you prefer.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by msommers
    The Rolex Daytona is a beautiful and timeless piece. I'll have one at some point...probably not very soon though How much did you end up spending? PM if you prefer.
    was going to recommend the same thing.
    No matter how much I drool at all the other watches, the most beautiful watch I've ever seen is the Rolex Daytona
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    but then again, it's over your budget

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast