Quantcast
mazda rx7 or nissan 240sx - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: mazda rx7 or nissan 240sx

My Ride
    A Tow Truck 2723944

Default mazda rx7 or nissan 240sx

Im wondering which car i can get the most overall hp out of i have a choice of buying a 88 mazda rx-7 or a 89 nissan 240 sx but i dont no which one i can get the most hp out of the rx-7 has got a turbo and a rotary engine that i dont know much about and the 240sx has got a inline 6

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

The 240sx doesnt have an inline 6, it has a 2.4L inline four (usdm)
    But when you think about it both have good power potential, you can build up that rx7 13bt, or do an engine swap in the 240sx (SR20DET)....lastly
    Last edited by CelicaST-162; 01-29-2004 at 01:24 PM.

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

The 240SX has a 4cyl man.

I say get the RX7, the 240SX is so played out.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Yeah, I'd go RX7 too, 240 parts are getting too hard to come by!!
    Bought not built!

Depends, is the RX-7 a turbo or not? If not, it's a tough choice between the 2 as they both have the same styling cues, power and handling with the edge going to the RX-7 very slightly. Both would cost fair amount to build up, or to swap engines. If the RX-7 is a turbo model, it's a no brainer....the RX-7 hands down. Either car, you can't go wrong.....unless you are passing up a turbo to get the 240SX

My Ride
    FD

Well not to be bias or anything haha:tongue: But i would deffinetely go with the RX7. Hands down its faster and handles better. They are also fairly easy to work on
    91 FD
    90 FC Turbo *sold*
    87 FC Turbo *sold*
    86 FC GXL *sold*

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

the rx-7 is a faster car...but if I may say, don't get a car just based on hp.

My Ride
    335i

If anyone has any experience with the RX-7, then you'd probably come to understand that these cars are not for everyone. Simply put - they are not reliable vehicles. With that said, I know that you all have a friend that has driven 200,000miles in his rx-7 on the original engine, but I don't care. Everyone can agree that these cars take a dedicated enthusiast to maintain them well. Take a look at any bargain finder - you'll find a tough time finding an rx-7 with over 175,000km's with the original engine.

I'd take the 240sx, it's a great RWD car, reliable, and reasonably quick if you get the DOHC engine.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    FD

Weapon R, Rx7's are actaully pretty reliable. If you do the proper maintanence such as fluid changes, spark plug chages and what not just like any car they will last well over 200,000kms. My car that i have right now lasted me to 235,000kms and it still was good but i decided to rebuild cause i wanted my motor ported and what not. If its been maintaned well it will last. Enough said.
    91 FD
    90 FC Turbo *sold*
    87 FC Turbo *sold*
    86 FC GXL *sold*

My Ride
    89 civic si & TBA

rx-7 man. personally i'm waiting for an S5 rx-7 turbo, which is '89+... they fixed many problems from the 86-88... also has 20 more hp... which isn't a big deal..
    - nate

Good luck. I have more seen Ferraris and Lamborghinis then I have seen of S5 RX-7 TII's....let alone one for sale.

My Ride
    project empty wallet... Kouki Monster

i was asking the same question a while ago... thing is both cars have good and bad points... like just out of the top of my head

hard to come by parts
    LSD
    heavier
    played out more or less
    sawp for a sr20
    lots of parts to choose from
    coupe or hatch/fast back because there arent to many 5spd coupes out there
    93+ less electrical problems then 89-91 (or somethign like that)
    4 seater

FC...
    good parts are harder to come by then 240
    TII
    no LSD
    lighter
    2 seater
    ***more maintinence***
    both cars handle bout the same
    and theres the little problems like
    sunroof sticking very common
    passenger side window (if power) will for some reason go up slower
    3800-4000rpm hesitaion which is very common on every rx7 (hard to diagnose)
    vary vary scary when driving in winter i spun out going 10km/h coasting didnt even have it in gear
    if you wanna drift then you have to get the LSD installed

i would also recommed if you get a 7 then get a winter beater as well... and weapon_r is right a RX7 isnt for everyone

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    If anyone has any experience with the RX-7, then you'd probably come to understand that these cars are not for everyone.
    also look at price dont buy a 2nd gen 7 for more then 4 unless its TII... for a 240... there was a fixer upper for 5500 i wouldnt spend more then 6000 on a 93... but yeah i went for a 10AE RX7 and just found a AE86 for a winter beater... so yeah....

lst thign to say is do your research! and look into your budget! hope that helps

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Both Turbo and GXL model RX-7's came with LSD, as i have one. I have the origanal brochure to prove it. Just thought you should know.

Btw, both models also come with factory 4 piston caliper brakes in the front.

Mine is an 88 US model.
    Deetz
    Last edited by Deetz; 01-30-2004 at 06:08 PM.
    Honda/Acura guy

Originally posted by kevie88
    Yeah, I'd go RX7 too, 240 parts are getting too hard to come by!!
    Go 240 sx with the SR20 engine Swap , Lo)2enz0 is doing it with his, should be done in a week or two . But yea kevie 88 you think it hard to come by 240 sx parts its not that hard, try find replacement parts for your rx7 rotory engine when brake's (close to imposible might as well get a new engine).
    Originally posted by Dumbass17
    what's an Egypt?
    Originally posted by Godfuader

Its the slang for being Electronically Jipped . Like going to an ATM and getting short changed. "You got E-Gypt"

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    If anyone has any experience with the RX-7, then you'd probably come to understand that these cars are not for everyone. Simply put - they are not reliable vehicles. With that said, I know that you all have a friend that has driven 200,000miles in his rx-7 on the original engine, but I don't care. Everyone can agree that these cars take a dedicated enthusiast to maintain them well. Take a look at any bargain finder - you'll find a tough time finding an rx-7 with over 175,000km's with the original engine.

I'd take the 240sx, it's a great RWD car, reliable, and reasonably quick if you get the DOHC engine.
    I have 2 with over 200k, on the the original motors...
    My parents both had DSM's one was a colt, the other a raider, neither motor made it past 100k even though well maintained...They didn't drive them hard, people drive the bag off rx-7's, they are fun cars, and most people don't read the manual..

Originally posted by Deetz
    Both Turbo and GXL model RX-7's came with LSD, as i have one. I have the origanal brochure to prove it. Just thought you should know.

Btw, both models also come with factory 4 piston caliper brakes in the front.

Mine is an 88 US model.
    Deetz
    This guy is right, I have 3 cars with lsd, and 2 without, the 2 without are base models....Max
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Mercedes 190's

Obviously the 2nd Gen RX-7 engine has issues with lasting large numbers of km's. This can be seen by the number of cars that are on their second or third engine or have blown engines. There are exceptions but on the whole the engines are not as reliable as a piston-powered engine. If you end up going for the RX-7, go for a Turbo II and make sure that you have the engine tested out. Be ready to have to shell out potentially $2000 if the motor on the RX-7 blows because they are not cheap. IMO..the RX-7 is much more fun to drive and comes with more perks + more comfortable.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Big_C_racing
    Obviously the 2nd Gen RX-7 engine has issues with lasting large numbers of km's. This can be seen by the number of cars that are on their second or third engine or have blown engines. There are exceptions but on the whole the engines are not as reliable as a piston-powered engine. If you end up going for the RX-7, go for a Turbo II and make sure that you have the engine tested out. Be ready to have to shell out potentially $2000 if the motor on the RX-7 blows because they are not cheap. IMO..the RX-7 is much more fun to drive and comes with more perks + more comfortable.
    Now thats just a load of shit.....
    Rx-7's have problems with people that don't or don't know how to maintain a car, since they have a total loss oiling system(crankcase oil is injected into the intake stream), they need to have the oil checked regularly, like everytime you fill up, the more foot to the floor driving you do , they more oil they use, throttle position is one of the injection references used for the the oil injection amount, and the problem with most people, is they don't even know how to open the hood of the car let alone check the oil, a regular piston engine that is in good shape will go about 10000-15,000 km without having the oil checked before the crank case runs dry and the car starts seeing problems, usually when its on its last quart, the dipshit behind the wheel pulls into a fullserve gas station and get its checked, or hits the dealer up for some other repair, and the mechanic out of routine checks the oil, however since the rx-7 uses oil constantly, as part of its normal lubrication, it will run the crankcase dry in about 4-5000km, alot quicker than a normal engine, thus the time or window for the driver to get accidently or incidently get the oil checked by some other circumstance is alot shorter, which is why you see rx-7's needing motors....99.9% of rx-7 engine failures on the FC is maintenance related, alot of people destroy them buy putting the spark plug wires on incorrectly, running the car hard with its safeties out of the loop(FCD, wastegate problems, etcetc). But on the whole a rotary will outlast your average piston engine by a large margin, if properly maintained, and that's the kicker...
    I use to got schoo at Crescent Hieghts, and use to go by the mazda dealer daily, and look at cars, when the TurboII's , 88 AE's , GXl's etc etc, were on the dealers lot brand new...I also use to work at husky gas station that was within blocks of the dealer, so we use to get a ton of rx-7's through the pumps, I saw alot of '7's come through the station 3 litres low, and also saw alot of newer cars at the dealer with siezed motors...Once someone pays mazda's price for a motor, they tend to pay alot more attention to the owners manual....

Now back to the thread..... I obviously like the '7 personally, but either of these cars is a fine choice....The aftermarket for these cars is huge , on both counts, I do agree the whole 240 thing is getting to be kinda trendy, but nissan builds a good car as well, the brakes are far easier to upgrade on the 240 with skyline/300 parts , both cars can make some serious power, the power band of the sr20 isn't as long as the 13b, so the car feels kinda peaky compared to the '7, the thing I noticed though is the nissans seem to rust out pretty quick, the rx-7 is a typical in that manner as well, but I see a ton of 240's that arent really that old, with big holes above the wheels wells and rusty door bottoms... Ifyou could find one clean like Hollywoods, that would definatly be a key buy, but I think he paid a pretty good dollar for it as well...I saw alot of awesome 180sx's/sylvia's in Japan, the s-15 is a really sharp car, to me, far nicer than the 350z or its infiniti clone, nissan should have brought that car here, but I notice all the car we seem to not be able to get, are turbo cars, with some kind of quasi front mount intercooler , our crash standards must be kinda nazi'ish compared to other jurisdictions...maxt
    Last edited by Maxt; 01-31-2004 at 09:14 AM.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    FD

Very Well said Max.
    91 FD
    90 FC Turbo *sold*
    87 FC Turbo *sold*
    86 FC GXL *sold*

rx7
    everyone and their dogs have a 240sx or want one.