Quantcast
Do you have a on board camera on your car? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a on board camera on your car?

My Ride
    2007 Nissan Versa

Originally posted by Squishy
    I just sent a message to the Blackvue camera seller to inquire about a group buy. Would anyone be interested in part taking in this if they give enough of a discount?
    I'd be in.

Id also be in if the price is right. ~$200 target.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

Originally posted by dingmah
    I've actually been interested in buying a DOD GS-600 dash cam from eBay after watching the video below last year. Seems to have really good 720p quality in daylight conditions.

YouTube Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL7zI...ature=youtu.be
    What great quality!

And what a messed up video

My Ride
    Fstst Prdctn Sdn N Th Wrld

There's an app for Android phones called DailyRoads Voyager that looks cool, I've installed it but haven't played around with it too much.

I'm seriously considering a Contour. They are much like the GoPros, but a bit more compact. This model has GPS, and although they appear to be aimed at the helmet-cam sports crowd, it should work great as an in-car cam.

http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

Also, CAr and Driver did a test of some popular in-car cams:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...a-test-feature

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by DEATH2000
    They posted his personal info on RFD. They were talking about sending him $500 worth of pizzas (pay at the door obviously)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merge...am-1141746/11/
    That's a pretty shitty thing to do to a pizzeria. It's not like acura asshole would be legally obligated to pay, so they'd be out of their pocket (including the delivery driver)

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    There appears to be a group buy going on at RFD for Toronto area... if someone here is a member there, maybe we could add us to them for a bigger discount, and have 'em ship a box to Calgary?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/black...p-buy-1142383/
    The guy at RFD replied to my post, saying they want to keep it within the Greater Toronto Area for logistical reasons.

The only thing that bugs me is having to power it with the cigarette lighter.

Does the Contour have a built-in battery that would last a few hours? But then again, if it was designed to be a helmet cam, it won't have motion detection.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Stealth22

The only thing that bugs me is having to power it with the cigarette lighter.
    When I installed my el-cheapo one, I ran the power cable under the lip of the headliner, down the A-pillar, and hardwired the power to the car under there.

A little extra work for a MUCH cleaner look.

I'd be in as well for the under $200.00 unless we can all agree on a better unit.

My Ride
    2000 prelude

Originally posted by nobb
    GG.

I have a surveillance camera installed which turns on/off automatically when the vehicle is on. I also have a bypass switch to let it run 24/7 for if I am parked in sketchy locations. About $250 for all the hardware via eBay. Never had to use the camera footage yet, but this is a good reminder as to why it helps to be prepared.
    Originally posted by cde1966
    I've had a carera for about two years now, one video I have is a guy backing into me, the camera saved me $1400 due to the guy trying to say I hit him. Mine is hard wired and runs 24/7 in a 10 hour/15min loop. It's settled many disputes in parking lots, all I need to do is point to the camera and the other driver can see that he's in the wrong...

Originally posted by tentacles
    I have cams on all my cars. One thing to keep in mind is that you need a Class 10 SD card to record at >640x480 resolution. Any lower and the video will skip.
    For those that have a camera set up already, would you be willing to take and pic of the set up and the description of how you set it up and maybe even a list of hardware you would need and where you got it from?

Just my opinion but I don't think the Blackvue camera is a very good deal for $200. Most of the features like the GPS and the motion sensors are not anything anyone will actually use. What is the GPS for? It's not like in the event of an accident you need to somehow prove where you car was or your speed when you've got the video footage anyway. The viewing angle is 115*? You can get up to 140* with a dealextreme camera. A <$50 dealextreme camera will just start recording automatically with power and have a small LCD screen so you can do playback and proper aim, and that's really all you need. I'd rather have a bunch of $50 cams than a $200 one with GPS and all that shit.
    I agree with this. Just want a camera that will record and is hard wired. You have a suggestion of which camera on dealextreme?
    00redLUDE

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    When I installed my el-cheapo one, I ran the power cable under the lip of the headliner, down the A-pillar, and hardwired the power to the car under there.

A little extra work for a MUCH cleaner look.
    I'd probably mess shit up pretty badly if I tried!

Originally posted by darthVWader
    I'd be in as well for the under $200.00 unless we can all agree on a better unit.
    Yeah, the price needs to come down for me to seriously think about it.

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

I'm in as well as long as the price is right and the camera options work for everyone.. its a shame you have to connect direct to battery when car is parked as like someone said previously I wanted for that function as well.

Originally posted by 00redLUDE

For those that have a camera set up already, would you be willing to take and pic of the set up and the description of how you set it up and maybe even a list of hardware you would need and where you got it from?

I agree with this. Just want a camera that will record and is hard wired. You have a suggestion of which camera on dealextreme?
    For the setup, notice all of the cams come with cigadaptors with really long (like 8 meters) cords, that's so you can run it up into the headliner and down behind the panels like Tik-Tok says. I have one on a car in China and we just went to the Dodge dealer to do it - labour is cheap in China even at dealerships.

Some of the guys over at the RFD thread will splice a 12v wire directly from the power going to the rear view mirror (autodim or power). Not sure if you want to do this on a new car that's still under warranty.

As for the dealextreme cameras they're all pretty much the same inside, just a matter of picking which resolution and recording angle you want. One thing to note is that a lot of them will have IR LEDs in the front. These are useless for use in car because a)they aren't strong enough anyway, in IR they put out about enough illumination as a small flashlight b)windshield glass blocks/reflects IR to some extent so all you get are shitty reflections and c) you have headlights. It's useful if you have it mounted on a helmet and went sneaking around in pitch black at night on foot but I'm not sure what else.

Obviously you want to just set up the camera temporarily and let it run for a few weeks before you do any hard wiring, it sucks to do a great job wiring it in only to have the shitty camera or power supply crap out on you.

Honestly I don't understand why car makers, especially luxury car makers, don't offer these as an OEM option from the factory already. Literally 99% of the hardware - cameras both front and rear, HDD storage, nav, wiring, motion sensors, etc is already in the fucking car, BMW could probably add the feature with a few lines of extra code and $0.02 in wiring and charge $2500 for it as the "///M Sport Active Intelligent Security package" or some such. Why in the age of iPhones are we still splicing wires and ripping up trim panels to install $30 suction cup cameras in our cars?
    Last edited by tentacles; 02-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Honestly I don't understand why car makers, especially luxury car makers, don't offer these as an OEM option from the factory already. Literally 99% of the hardware - cameras both front and rear, HDD storage, nav, wiring, motion sensors, etc is already in the fucking car, BMW could probably add the feature with a few lines of extra code and $0.02 in wiring and charge $2500 for it as the "///M Sport Active Intelligent Security package" or some such. Why in the age of iPhones are we still splicing wires and ripping up trim panels to install $30 suction cup cameras in our cars?
    Because it's nice to have video evidence when it suits you, and not so nice when it doesn't. For all its benefits, I wouldn't want a factory-installed camera for cops and lawyers to ask for to build a case against me. And if they knew you had video of it, they'd certainly want to see it.

Not that I drive like an asshole, just that there's a difference between "I think it happened like this" and "it definitely happened like this".

A dashcam on my vehicle would play like a Benny Hill clip.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Would be interested for the right price, $200 is steep IMO, and I would prefer something that comes on when the vehicle turns on, and automatically over-dubs itself.

A dash cam would have helped last night, I saw a city bus driving like a major prick last night.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I was interested until I saw the price tag. Of course it is expensive because it comes with GPS and some features I just don't care about.... If there was a bare-bones camera only with similar video quality and a lower price tag I'd probably be in.

I was in a hit and run in 2010, because of "differing stories" I was forced to take 50% liability when I did nothing wrong... I really wish I had a recorder in my car when it happened
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Has four wheels

^ Good point. I don't suppose there's an HD camera of a similar size out there that's cheaper, but without motion/G detection etc.

Long as its HD and can record over old videos I'm good.

Just go here

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/car-dvr...pagesort=price

I'm not shilling for dealextreme or anything, there are other places to buy them, but they generally have the best laid out website and the most reviews.

My Ride
    Hatred

Here's one from Newegg.ca, 70 dollars too but no gps.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16881618095
    -U

My Ride
    Has four wheels

^ Apparently its not HD either.

I'm gonna have to think about it. I'm a little wary of dealextreme, but its almost like if you want anything decent, the price is almost $200 anyway.

Especially if you want something compact like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gs600-5...-tf-slot-54234

Might as well get the BlackVue...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast