Quantcast
Acer... Have they gotten better? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Acer... Have they gotten better?

Default Acer... Have they gotten better?

Looking to buy two new laptops. One for myself (in the next few months) and a friend needs one this week. Obviously Acer are the cheapest and her needs are really minimal so I'm looking @ something under 500$ with taxes.

However, back when I bought my laptop (3 1/2 years ago) Acer had a bad reputation. Everyone I knew who had one told me to stay away. My sister got one and she also had trouble. Have they improved somewhat over the years? Hard drives used to die on them and components were badly assembled. I realize that you get what you pay for but I still want something that won't die 1 week after the initial 1 year warranty expires. My budget is somewhat bigger (500-1200$) though I'm more and more inclined towards the lower end of that scale as my needs are a fraction of what they used to be (don't game anymore, use linux, don't do video editing much etc.). They have some pretty amazing prices for some machines and I like their new ultrabooks but still not sure if they've "changed their ways".

I tend to prefer either HP or Toshiba while Sony is overpriced. So what's the current verdict on Acer? Yay or nay?
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    NC1

max_boost likes Acer but likes Gateway even more. But I don't know anything about computers.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My criteria was something slim, portable, great battery and decent power

I have had this laptop for approx 2 months now:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36540

This was $100 less when I bought it and I also got the 4 year IPR just in case.

I really have enjoyed it so far. Very slim and portable.

While deciding on a laptop I was very hesitant on Acer as I have heard bad things as well. Acer is one of the biggest manufactures in the world so of course you will hear more bad things. But I must say I really do love this laptop. I haven't had an issue so far.

If I wasn't going to get the warranty I was going to get this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35897

Pretty similar specs, however better warranty if you are not going ipr. Asus offers a 2year warranty and a 1yr accidental replacement (you could run it over and drop it bathtub) and still get a new one :P
    Euro

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

I spent about a $1000 on my acer laptop after i swore off Acer forever. It is has core i5, blu ray, 3d.

It's been about 8 months and I still like it. Not nearly as cheaply made as my old $400 Acer

2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I used to hate Acer as I worked at a repair depot years ago and saw nothing but the problems, but when it came time to buy a beater laptop for work a few months back, I just couldn't argue with the value. If I was buying a $1500 laptop, I might lean towards a 'reputable' brand like HP, but for a cheap laptop, just get whatever matches your needs and budget.

For $415ish, I got the Acer 4739-6483 with a Core i3-370M, 6GB RAM, and 640GB HDD. It's main purpose is to fly with me and get abused in my checked luggage as the airlines I fly with don't allow carry-on. I've seen my laptop bag take a tumble from above head height while loading and it survived for whatever that's worth. As a bonus, it's got a cheesy diamondplate finish that doesn't scratch (or show scratches) too easily.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by max_boost
    max_boost likes Acer but likes Gateway even more. But I don't know anything about computers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway,_Inc.

Gateway = Acer since 2007.

My $200 Gateway Netbook mostly for running VCDS. No problems and can't complain.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by carson blocks

It's main purpose is to fly with me and get abused in my checked luggage as the airlines I fly with don't allow carry-on.
    Just curious, what airline is this?

I also couldn't deny the value aspect that came with Acer, I bought mine about a year ago and it still runs well. It was one of the "mid range" ones with a 15.6" screen but very light and 8 hours of battery (actually!), Keypad as well. Works very well for my purpose.

The battery dipped down to about 6 hours of use a few months ago, so I messaged support and they overnight sent me a new one. Not bad!
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Just curious, what airline is this?
    Northern Air. The no carry-on thing is understandable as the planes are pretty tiny as it is.

That's what I figure. For the price it doesn't seem like you can go wrong. I guess just keep backup in case but it looks all good. Those timeline computers look pretty damn nice. Futureshop doesn't carry them for some reason. I'm not in Alberta so I'll have to find a shop that carries them.
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by carson blocks
    I used to hate Acer as I worked at a repair depot years ago and saw nothing but the problems, but when it came time to buy a beater laptop for work a few months back, I just couldn't argue with the value. If I was buying a $1500 laptop, I might lean towards a 'reputable' brand like HP, but for a cheap laptop, just get whatever matches your needs and budget.

For $415ish, I got the Acer 4739-6483 with a Core i3-370M, 6GB RAM, and 640GB HDD. It's main purpose is to fly with me and get abused in my checked luggage as the airlines I fly with don't allow carry-on. I've seen my laptop bag take a tumble from above head height while loading and it survived for whatever that's worth. As a bonus, it's got a cheesy diamondplate finish that doesn't scratch (or show scratches) too easily.
    I'm not an expert on laptops but I've owned an HP and I strongly disagree with using these two words in the same sentence.

I own an ASUS now and I'm very happy with it.

I have an Acer and I hate it. Slow, keyboard sucks, mouse pad clicks all over the place as you try to scroll across the screen. I have heard that the cheap ones are like what I described above, but once you get into the $800+ category they are decent.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Not much consensus... I've had my HP for close to 4 years with no problems so I have a good impression of them. People who might have gotten a lemon Acer have bad impressions of them. I've generally only heard positives from Toshiba and Asus though.

Bah, I'll go friday and we'll pick up whatever I feel is right for the price.
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio