Quantcast
Mass Effect 3 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Almost exactly 96 hrs after i fire it up, i finish the game. Fuck i need a life
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    There's gotta be a better way to kill off those Banshees. I'm unloading almost 3/4 of my rifle ammo at them before one of us dies
    One hit of overload = no shields. Armor Piercing Ammo = no armor

I changed class to Sentinel for my playthrough, and it's turned out to be a smart choice.

Also, I must say...

Spoiler:
    The scene with Thane after the Cerberus invasion... holy FUCK. Extremely well written, beautiful scene that actually got an emotional response out of me. It made me sad (not like bawling sad, just a tug-at-the-heart sad)
    Geek

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Ending comment....

** Spoiler Alert
    Spoiler:
    I hope I get a seperate ending on my next couple playthroughs. If these endings are all the same for the various decisions, then I'm extremely disappointed with the game.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I just finished the game about an hour and a bit ago... took a bit to compile my thoughts, as well as watch the other two endings on Youtube

Spoiler:

As a writer, I can understand exactly why the ending happened as it did. For the record, I chose synthesis. Granted, I personally would not have written it that way, but the sacrifice of self for the greater good of trillions of people is a very noble ideal.

However, as a gamer, there are a couple of underlying flaws with the endings that I can foresee being addressed by either a Mass Effect 4 (if you wait till after the credits) or a DLC (if you choose the Destroy ending and have a very high military score). The biggest question I have to ask, however, is: why was the Normandy in slipspace?
    Geek

My Ride
    has darth kitty

WORST FUCKING ENDINGS OF MY LIFE.... totally expected better after the first two games.

PS: what confuses me is... how when they crash land.... liara gets outta the normandy... preeeetty sure she was with me on the ground getting raped....
    poop

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I'm just gonna put this up here now because it's going to save us from a never ending thread of black boxes....

*** From this point forward, assume every post could contain a spoiler ***

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

IGN: Deconstructing Story In Bioware Games

Interesting read. Too bad they don't really follow through with the ending on ME3.

The thing that had kept me around was seeing how my previous decisions could effect the outcome. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen and I never really see the consequences for my actions (Paragon or Renegade).

The thing that upsets me is that, ultimately, the endings are the same. The only difference is whether the Reapers die or they fly off Earth. Shep dies. Normandy crash lands. You could argue that there's a sliver of hope at the end of the credits for one of the endings (from what I've heard), but that's not enough to make up for shortcomings in the endings.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well, seeing as I don't have to black box this anymore...

My opinion on the ending

(OR: Why the endings do NOT need to be changed)

I stated before that I understood, as a writer, why the endings happened as they did. After a few days of thought, I'm going to explain what I meant.

In the simplest of terms, without making this post a novel:

95% of the time we play as Shepard, we are pursuing tangible, "real" goals. Gather this race to the cause, kill/save the Geth, kill/save the Krogan, etc. This is true for both ME1 and ME2 as well. Choices, interactions, objectives are all placed in the "real."

However, the ending of Mass Effect 3, while a bit of a judder from the regular story arc, takes place in the "mythological." And the stereotypes are all there: the tragic hero (Shepard), the wise council (Anderson, Hackett, most of your companions), the nemesis (the Reapers, the Illusive Man), the redeemed compatriot (Miranda, Thane, Mordin, etc), and so on.

So why do the endings make sense and not need to be changed? Because while you did have to make choices and pursue goals in the "real" part of the game, none of those choices matter when you're considering life on a galactic scale, or the "mythological." Does it truly matter if Joker and EDI hook up if there is nowhere to enjoy that relationship? Does it matter if you have a Level X assault rifle when you're staring, literally, at a devil's deal?

So the endings work in the sense that the tragic hero (Shepard) sacrifices for the greater good of all. Sure, it's not a HAPPY ending, but it is an ending that makes sense in the scope of looking at the trilogy as one big novel.

EDIT: To make what I said make more sense, look at your own life... if you had to sacrifice yourself tomorrow so that the rest of the 7 billion people on Earth could live, would it matter what you had for breakfast yesterday?

I do admit, they really needed to smooth over the transition so that it made more sense, but the transition is there (when Shepard collapses reaching for the Citadel firing control when Hackett reports that nothing is happening, and then hovers up into the light (metaphor much?!)
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 03-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Geek

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I don't mind the ending as an alternate ending. But there's no option. No matter how you played, no matter what decision you make at the end, the same things happen: Reapers leave. Shep dies, Normandy crashes on some planet, and the relays are destroyed.

I'm okay if the perfect ending being that Shep dies to save everyone else or bring on the next step of evolution, as the Catalyst calls it. But if I did the Renegade route and decide to control the Reapers, it'd be cool to see the consequences and maybe I end up dying from being a power hungry dickhead or I live on to control the galaxy.

On the other hand, if I went the paragon route and decided to kill the Reapers, as had been the mission since ME1, I'd like to see how the galaxy reacts to it. Even if he dies here, I'm okay. I just want the endings to be distinct and show the consequences of my decisions. As it stands now, all three endings are virtually identical

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    I don't mind the ending as an alternate ending. But there's no option. No matter how you played, no matter what decision you make at the end, the same things happen: Reapers leave. Shep dies, Normandy crashes on some planet, and the relays are destroyed.

I'm okay if the perfect ending being that Shep dies to save everyone else or bring on the next step of evolution, as the Catalyst calls it. But if I did the Renegade route and decide to control the Reapers, it'd be cool to see the consequences and maybe I end up dying from being a power hungry dickhead or I live on to control the galaxy.

On the other hand, if I went the paragon route and decided to kill the Reapers, as had been the mission since ME1, I'd like to see how the galaxy reacts to it. Even if he dies here, I'm okay. I just want the endings to be distinct and show the consequences of my decisions. As it stands now, all three endings are virtually identical
    If you had over 5000 military readiness and chose the Destroy ending.... well, let's just say that we're not entirely sure if Shepard is dead ;D
    Geek

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I'm working my way through another go around so I haven't seen it yet, but I feel like that would not be significant enough of a difference from the other endings

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Rannoch is a pretty cool scene, it was completely different from what I got last time and I think it's because I'm going mostly renegade.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/pro...er-be-changed/

^^^^^^^^ Superb, spoiler free article about why the endings should not be changed
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

^^^^^^^^^ Dr Ray Myzuka, to the fans.

Highlights:

-Fan input (and disappointment) has been noted, and they are working on tweaking the endings so that there is more closure to the trilogy

-Mass Effect 3 was NOT the last Mass Effect game.

Relevant quote for the above two points:

Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You'll hear more on this in April. We're working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we've received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue
    Geek

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

^^^^^^^^^ Dr Ray Myzuka, to the fans.

Highlights:

-Fan input (and disappointment) has been noted, and they are working on tweaking the endings so that there is more closure to the trilogy

-Mass Effect 3 was NOT the last Mass Effect game.

Relevant quote for the above two points:

So what they're saying is...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I feel like pushing this thread up with this vid

I just finished the game for the first time, and did it in unbelievably limp dick fashion:

- Never played ME1
    - Played through ME2, but for some fucking reason it wouldn't let me import my character for ME3
    - Said fuck it, and just played ME3 with the stock character.

I should've probably put some more effort into getting my ME2 character imported... I could never chose any of the paragon/renegade options, just the pussy ass normal ones cause, as previously mentioned, my new guy was a limp dick piece of shit.

Oh, and the ending I got was that everyone dies... Earth gets completely fucked, and it cuts to credits when the doors to the Normandy just cracks open, not a single person gets out.

So then I see the video above and realize... I pretty much got the same ending as all the die-hard fans. Maybe that's why everyone was so pissed off... not going to lie, when it first ended, I thought "man that was a fucking badass game!"

Which is ridiculously ironic... that a casual gamer with very little invested in the game world can walk away fully content and with a smile on his face while the deeply invested are losing their shit all over the interwebs.

edit:
    Question for you guys who have played all three... if I ever end up replaying this series, would it be worth it to get ME1 and try to take a character all the way through? I mean the ending is all the same, but did your ME1 choices make any difference in 2 and 3?

Haha I guess I don't even know how much impact your decisions in 2 had in 3 because my character didn't import
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 04-30-2012 at 10:38 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    I just finished the game for the first time, and did it in unbelievably limp dick fashion:

- Never played ME1
    - Played through ME2, but for some fucking reason it wouldn't let me import my character for ME3
    - Said fuck it, and just played ME3 with the stock character.

I should've probably put some more effort into getting my ME2 character imported... I could never chose any of the paragon/renegade options, just the pussy ass normal ones cause, as previously mentioned, my new guy was a limp dick piece of shit.

Oh, and the ending I got was that everyone dies... Earth gets completely fucked, and it cuts to credits when the doors to the Normandy just cracks open, not a single person gets out.

So then I see the video above and realize... I pretty much got the same ending as all the die-hard fans. Maybe that's why everyone was so pissed off... not going to lie, when it first ended, I thought "man that was a fucking badass game!"

Which is ridiculously ironic... that a casual gamer with very little invested in the game world can walk away fully content and with a smile on his face while the deeply invested are losing their shit all over the interwebs.

edit:
    Question for you guys who have played all three... if I ever end up replaying this series, would it be worth it to get ME1 and try to take a character all the way through? I mean the ending is all the same, but did your ME1 choices make any difference in 2 and 3?

Haha I guess I don't even know how much impact your decisions in 2 had in 3 because my character didn't import
    It is, and it isn't at the same time. Gameplay-wise, the game is fulfilling and fun to play. So carrying a character over across all 3 games makes you a little more invested in the game, and there are a few instances in ME3 where the outcome was decided long ago.

Where it won't make a real difference is the ending. As I said before, the ending will more or less be the same regardless of what path you choose. Just like the vid I posted.

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

I had two characters that I did full ME1 and ME2 playthroughs with, one paragon and one renegade. I beat ME3 with my paragon guy but knowing the ending, I just can't even be bothered to start with my renegade guy.

At first I didn't think the ending was so bad but the more I thought about it, the more I went WTF.

Still love the series though. I thoroughly enjoyed the 80-90 hours of gameplay leading up to the end of the trilogy.

In case anyone is curious, there is a theory going around about an alternate ending. It's mostly just fanboys speculating but it does make you think.

Indoctrination theory

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Gibson
    I had two characters that I did full ME1 and ME2 playthroughs with, one paragon and one renegade. I beat ME3 with my paragon guy but knowing the ending, I just can't even be bothered to start with my renegade guy.

At first I didn't think the ending was so bad but the more I thought about it, the more I went WTF.

Still love the series though. I thoroughly enjoyed the 80-90 hours of gameplay leading up to the end of the trilogy.

In case anyone is curious, there is a theory going around about an alternate ending. It's mostly just fanboys speculating but it does make you think.

Indoctrination theory
    I played it a second time through with another character because I thought I had fucked up somewhere because the ending was kinda shit. So imagine my disappointment when I got basically the same ending despite making different choices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast