Quantcast
Long distance relationships? possible or no? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Long distance relationships? possible or no?

My Ride
    93 integra

Default Long distance relationships? possible or no?

A girl I work with and I have this ongoing argument going about long distance relationships.

I feel like they are always doomed and she thinks it's doable...

I know there's obviously the small percentage that do make it out fine, but for the majority does beyond think it's possible or no?

My Ride
    1989 JDM SW20, 2013 Civic LX 5Spd

Absolutely not. We are humans. We have sexual needs. You can't get that from a long distance relationship.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think in general they are a poor idea. That being said, I know a couple of happily married couples who have gone through periods of long distance and done just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

I am currently in Newfoundland on an extended visit. The distance sucks...but it's bearable thanks to phone calls and skype. Also knowing that it's only temporary helps. It is by no means easy and i am currently counting down the sleeps til I see him again, but that beats the alternative of walking away because we can't be together right now. You do what you have to do to make it work.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Idiot Stick
    Absolutely not. We are animals. We have sexual urges.
    how did the relationship started? if through online/chat I wouldn't even call it a real relationship until 2 persons have physically met each other.

it's do-able, all depends on the commitment of the 2 persons involved in the relationship.
    personally my gf and i would be able to do it.

seamens, oil & gas, military are away from their family for weeks, months, granted who knows how many cheated we will never know.

My Ride
    Wristshots

It's possible, the individuals must have the resolve to see it through and an end date should be set. My fiancee and I have been long-distance for over two years. But who knows, perhaps it won't work

My Ride
    Hatred

My wife and I lived 9 hours apart shortly after we first met, and it's been 7 years now. It seemed to work out okay I guess....
    -U

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Yeah, The long distance sucks. A lot. But, if you are both committed to each other, you can make it work. Things like phone calls, emails, Video calls on Skype ect, will make it easier and at least somewhat bearable. Also, planning trips to visit the other person every so often is a big plus as well. And making sure there is an end date is a MUST. I don't think I could do what I am right now and not know when she would be back.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Possible? Yes, of course it's possible.

Likely to work out? No, probably not.

As mentioned, frequent visits & an "end" date are pretty much required.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Default Re: Long distance relationships? possible or no?

Originally posted by ekguy
    A girl I work with and I have this ongoing argument going about long distance relationships.

I feel like they are always doomed and she thinks it's doable...

I know there's obviously the small percentage that do make it out fine, but for the majority does beyond think it's possible or no?

My girlfriend goes to the UofA and I live here in Calgary. To be honest it is nice having a little distance between us sometimes. When she is gone I can do what I want when I want with no consideration of her and her plans. As mentioned phone calls and Skype help. I don't mind the long distance thing. About the sexual desires... When she comes down to Calgary or I go up to Edmonton all we do is bone for the entire weekend! Then I don't need to bone for awhile.

My Ride
    G6

I think age and place your are in your life is key. If you're both still in Uni and party lots, no chance. Too much strange to keep you tied down. If you're older, you've got more self control and are willing to give it more of a chance. I only see my girl on the weekends, and it works alright for us for now. Five years ago, in the same situation, I would've tried to tap every piece of hot strange that moved.

My Ride
    party car

Well, it seemed to work for my Husband and I.

We met online on a car forum, and just began chatting.. he lived in Kelowna, I lived in Calgary.

At some points, it seemed impossible that this could ever work out.. one of us had to give up their job and their life in their respective towns for our relationship to continue on to the next level.

Honestly, it required a lot of patience, determination and the understanding and trust in each other to make it work out... and for us, it did.
    I like things with wheels.

Default Re: Re: Long distance relationships? possible or no?

Originally posted by KRyn

My girlfriend goes to the UofA and I live here in Calgary. To be honest it is nice having a little distance between us sometimes. When she is gone I can do what I want when I want with no consideration of her and her plans. As mentioned phone calls and Skype help. I don't mind the long distance thing. About the sexual desires... When she comes down to Calgary or I go up to Edmonton all we do is bone for the entire weekend! Then I don't need to bone for awhile.
    +1
    My gf lives in edmonton, its completely fine.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Originally posted by Unknown303
    My wife and I lived 9 hours apart shortly after we first met, and it's been 7 years now. It seemed to work out okay I guess....
    Originally posted by reiRei
    Well, it seemed to work for my Husband and I.

Honestly, it required a lot of patience, determination and the understanding and trust in each other to make it work out... and for us, it did.
    It works out only if the couple is determined to do it together. My fiancee and I did the long distance thing when we were dating and it was difficult, but we stuck through it with each other. Once we got to live together again it worked out and now we're getting married.

Long distance is a bad idea if you're not really, really into the other person and completely committed to it. Also, knowing there will be an end to it helps because we always had that to look forward to. I'm just not surprised the people in here who say it works out end up getting married, because that's the level of dedication it takes to make it happen.

EDIT you also need to see each other once in a while to release those... urges, ya know? That also makes the dedication easier, and those weekends end up REALLY great lol
    Last edited by iceburns288; 02-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

It works if neither of you can/have the ability to get any other action

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by iceburns288

EDIT you also need to see each other once in a while to release those... urges, ya know? That also makes the dedication easier, and those weekends end up REALLY great lol
    nothing better than stumbling into work monday morning more tired than you left with a couple redbulls in your hands. Everyone knew what happen.
    -U

My Ride
    Depends on the day

My sister and sister in law did it and one just got married and the other is getting married.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Been distant most of the relationship (almost 6 years), and that will continue. Started with her being at U of C and myself at U of L. Granted only 2 hours away, but it would be a weekend or two a month for 4 years, not including summers together. She did a semester in India, and then the next year I did a semester in Germany.

We have been living together for one year now but Im starting my Masters this September and she will not be moving to Kingston with me. Ill also be writing my thesis for one year in the Netherlands.

I think it has helped substantially that neither of us has had tons of fuck partners and both of us made huge commitments to Skype daily at least while I was in Germany. (Her apartment's internet was bullshit in India so I saw her once).

This whole "were animals" thing is kinda sad. Granted theres strong desires, but you also have to take responsibility for the situations you put yourself in, especially if they are compromising, such as drunk in another girls dorm/apartment alone.

Best fo luck to ya bud. If you think shes worth it, go for it.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My rule of thumb, if she is going to be away for 1/2+ of the total time you guys were dating, it is a no go.

Example. My girl is leaving at the end of April for about 3 months. We will have been dating for 5 months by that point, so we are ending it then.

Anything in the realm of 2+ years though in my opinion is open to interpretation. That is a pretty damn long time for two people to be together.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast