Quantcast
Panasonic GX1 m4/3rds! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic GX1 m4/3rds!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Panasonic GX1 m4/3rds!

Just started playing around with my new GX1, no time to write a review yet, but here's a quick comparo pic to show how much ISO performance has improved. It's awesome!

Pics are straight from camera JPG, no editing, cropped 100%.

Huge improvements with that G3 sensor stuffed in here.

Like the GF3 with the new kit lens, it fits it pockets nicely.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Were those two shots taken with the exact same lens on the same sharpening settings, etc?

Seems a bit odd the GX1 looks THAT much sharper on the 1916 and stones on the bottom if it was... that's absolutely amazing improvement though!
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

It's also 16 mp vs 12 mp, but the ISP performance is way better from what I've seen. I wonder how the new oly OM-5 will perform?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Did the right picture have in camera sharpening or some automated settings? That's an incredible improvement.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Here is a comparison of the EP3(same sensor as the GF1/2/3 and all the current pen cameras, but better high iso) vs the GX1.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...-and-high-iso/

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Just picked up my GX1 last week. I didn't get the power zoom, just the manual zoom lens. I'm not planning to put it in my pocket so I'd rather save the money for another lens. I tried the EVF, it is pretty nice. I'll see if the LCD starts bothering me in bright light. I tried the Nex7 too while I was at TCS. I didn't spend too much time on it, I was just checking out it's built-in EVF. I found it to be a bit fuzzy for some reason.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The GF2 (left shot) had noise reduction turned on. I have to check the GX1 settings when I get home, but pretty sure there was NR turned on as well by default. (edit - same NR settings on both cameras)

Both shots were taken on tripod, and according to the EXIF, no sharpening or contrast corrections. I don't remember any sharpening corrections available in the menus.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    W204

The GX1 creates unbelievably clean shots. I shot a bunch of shots at CES on ISO 3200 and it was easily 5x cleaner than my GF1 @ 1600. One must wonder how much cleaner it could've been had they kept the MP count at the same as the GF1.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Impressive. I like. But I'll still have to wait for my GF1 to die or get stolen.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I was going order the omd, but I love my gf1 too much. The gx1 has a better sensor, but has plastic not metal acc door and doesn't have dynamic b&w and some of my other favorite features.

My Ride
    W204

Fuck that shit... I just took the GX1 plunge today.

This is so much fucking camera for $700. The vastly improved ISO and shot speed over the GF1 has suddenly increased my keeper rate ten fold. Everything about it just makes the GF1 seem like a total dog. The slightly slimmer body and bigger grip also makes it infinitely more comfortable to hold.

One happy camper here.

Just deciding if I want to get the EVF. And upgrading to the Summicron 25mm f/1.4. Only downer is that it's twice the size of my 20mm. But holy fuck does it focus fast. Quite a bit quicker than the 20mm. Every little bit helps when I am chasing my kids around.
    Last edited by clem24; 02-22-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I'm buying the 25/1.4 today. The gf1 is way faster with my 14 and 45. The 20mm is an amazing lens but the af is slow.

My Ride
    W204

Some really exciting (but apparently old) MFT news: Tamron and Tokina are jumping on the MFT bandwagon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01...icroFourThirds

Now to see if they can churn out some inexpensive constant aperture zooms...!

Originally posted by kvg
    I'm buying the 25/1.4 today.
    Ha I couldn't resist. I picked one up at Vistek today. Great little lens but the metering on it sometimes does funny things. So just need to figure out what's going on. Otherwise focusing is just speed, speed, speed!!!

Also tried out the Olympus 12mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8. I am in love with the 12mm but $800 is a little much for now. Focusing was also fast and instant on both lenses. The 45mm is also very lovely but I am not much of a tele guy so I guess that will have to wait though at $400 it's a great price!!!
    Last edited by clem24; 02-24-2012 at 12:28 AM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

They have been saying that they were going to make lenses for m43 for years. Sigma just started to make some, but I don't see the appeal of a f2.8 on a m43. My slowest lens is a f2.5 the rest are all sub f2. I would love to see some f2 zooms, I would be all over that.
    Last edited by kvg; 02-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by kvg
    They have been saying that they were going to make lenses for m43 for years. Sigma just started to make some, but I don't see the appeal of a f2.8 on a m43. My slowest lens is a f2.5 the rest are all sub f2. I would love to see some f2 zooms, I would be all over that.
    Agreed.

The smaller the sensor, the faster the glass you need.

Voigtlander has it right with their 0.95 offerings, it's just too bad they don't AF or they'd have access to a much bigger market.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I want that lens, but the no af thing is what holds me back. I had a 58mm 1.2 for a while, but the no af thing sucked plus it weighed way more than the camera.

My Ride
    W204

Yeah for chasing my kids around, MF just doesn't work. But f/0.95 also brings with it its own problems too like falloff, really soft corners, etc... You guys are right though - something like a 1.4, with the DOF/look of a 2.8 is, to me, one huge draw of MFT.

I get annoyed seeing everyone's FF's with f/1.8 or f/2 and there's one tiny little spec in the picture that's in focus.

But I am not sure how possible it is to make a really small constant aperture zoom that's faster than f/2.8. And yeah seeing that f/2.8 would "look" like f/4, it would actually be kind of lame.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Olympus makes some f2 constant zooms for 4/3rds. They're really expensive though.

See I don't like m43rds because everything looks like it's shot at 2.8 and above

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Originally posted by kvg
    I can't see the f2.0 zooms being small at all. The current Olympus SHG 14-35mm f2.0 is MASSIVE and the sensor size for 4/3 and m4/3 are the same.

Olympus 14-35mm f2.0 : 86x123mm at 900g
    Canon 24-70mm f2.8 : 83x123.5mm at 950g

WAY too big to be hold nicely on current m4/3 bodies, maybe if it had a tripod collar

Not quite as extreme and I don't have $2k to spend on a lens, but minus 1 inch basically back to the focus ring and you get the idea of how massive it'd be...

Olympus E-PL1 with DMW-MA1 and High Grade 50-200mm by Wilson Hui, on Flickr
    Last edited by ga16i; 02-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by clem24

I get annoyed seeing everyone's FF's with f/1.8 or f/2 and there's one tiny little spec in the picture that's in focus.
    I agree that some people over do the shallow dof and mind as well be in a studio with a sheet behind them. Mind you sometimes I wish I could achieve shallower dof without using my 45mm(90mm).

Originally posted by blitz
    Olympus makes some f2 constant zooms for 4/3rds. They're really expensive though.
    Oly does make zooms, but adapted the af is sketchy and slow at best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast