Quantcast
Review: Pho Van - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review: Pho Van

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Default Review: Pho Van

Pho Van
    Country Hills Landing Northwest (across the road from T&T)
    Calgary, AB.

As most of you know, good pho in the NW is pretty scarce. For those in the NW, you probably crossed by this place on Harvest Hills (across the road from T&T Supermarket) awaiting for this place to finally open. You hope that finally, there is a decent pho place in the area. Sorry to disappoint you, but nope. In short, don't go here if you're expecting decent pho.

Food rating 2.5/5
    Spring rolls came out within a minute they were ordered, and were cold and soggy. They were not prepared fresh to order at all, which I don't understand why. The spring rolls also came right away (obviously prepared in advanced and refrigerated), but they tasted alright.

Rice vermicelli with pork, spring rolls, and shredded pork skin was also ordered. The noodles break apart too easily, not enough sauce provided, lack of flavor, and worse of it is: they skimp out HUGE on the meat (contributing to the lack of flavor). Totally not worth $9.50 at all. FYI, there is no meat hiding underneath in the picture below. What you see is what you get. The veggies were fresh, but no bean sprouts?

Next, Rare beef with beef ball pho (large bowl). There is so many things wrong with the pho here. The noodles were already water bloated upon arrival. Soggy noodles. Second, I usually put lime into my broth that that's basically most of what I tasted, the lime juice. The broth had no flavor at all, and it was ~7:00 pm. I'm not sure when was the last time I seen this, but they cut up the beef balls into 1/8ths. Seriously, are you that cheap you can't even provide beef balls in quarters? The rare beef slice portions were also small.

Also had the Sate pho, and it was lacking flavor as well.

Ambiance 3/5
    Just opened, so the place was clean. You can see into the kitchen, which might or might not be an eye sore in the future. They might consider adding a curtain or something.
    Nothing out of the ordinary of a typical Vietnamese restaurant. They have a flat screen TV, so probably could catch the game if you want to. I was watching Spongebob and iCarly on YTV though when I was there.

Service 3/5
    Again, nothing out of the ordinary of your typical Vietnamese restaurant. You order on the sheet, they take the sheet, and you are served your food.

Overall: Mediocre
    You come here expecting to have a nice bowl of pho or rice vermicelli, but you will be disappointed. Portions are small, broth is flavorless, and the noodles are soggy (this bugs me the most, because it ruins the pho entirely).

I will not come again unless drastic changes are happening. I was really hoping for this place to be good.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 02-20-2012 at 10:54 PM.

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

WOW thanks for the heads up!

Was gonna go last thursday nite but it was closed??

They opened on Saturday
    Last edited by xolemonteaox; 02-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks for the heads up, guess Pho Thanh is still the place to go to.

Btw, I don't think the address is correct.

My Ride

Originally posted by Civic_Drift

Btw, I don't think the address is correct.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Thanks.

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

Thanks for saving me some money; won't be going there.

My two favorite Pho places still is Rang Dong by Forest Lawn High School and Pho Tai near Sunridge.

Pho Van has a similar sign to Pho Tai too!

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

Did you eat all three of those by yourself?

My Ride

Originally posted by Gibson
    Did you eat all three of those by yourself?
    No haha. I had guests and we each sampled every dish we ordered.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

It's all about the noodles... i went to Chianti's the other night
    and the f'in linguini were bloated and gross.Used to be my favorite place for pasta and now its gone to shit.I feel your pain.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

The satay beef doesn't look satay-ey at all...

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

We had takeout satay beef and it was pretty good. Then again, I'm a typical white guy, so wtf do I know. $16 for both of us to eat and it was very satisfying to me.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride

As mentioned by NoMoreG35, the Satay beef pho looks very watered down in the picture and in our case, was pretty flavorless.

I really do hope others chime in and have some positive reviews because then maybe they just had an off night and needed a bit of time to settle down.

My Ride
    Bicycle

All I can say is that it was good on Saturday when it opened.

Then everything went soggy when I returned for lunch next day.

Food 3/5:
    - Spring rolls were good both days.
    - Portion is not the greatest but fine
    - Noodle is soggy on Sunday but ok on Sat. My bun's noodle broke apart like OP. Need to use a spoon.
    - Soup tend to have a little bit of MSG, I think it's because it's new stock. It should get better once a few weeks in.
    - Salad roll were prepared fresh.
    - My bro-in-law (Vietnamese) said the rice dish sucked.
    - It's better than Saigon Pearl from memory.

Ambiance 3/5:
    Just opened, so the place was clean. You can see into the kitchen, which might or might not be an eye sore in the future. They might consider adding a curtain or something
    I think the open kitchen is a bad idea. The kitchen should be isolated. The workers should keep the voice down and don't sneeze out loud.

Service 3/5:
    People are new to the biz, it's a bit unorganized. The only one with a bit of experience is the dude from Pho Tranh working here. But I think they picked the wrong staff to snatch from Pho Tranh. Dude is kinda rude and has a stare like Bruce Lee trying to kill you. When he talks to you, it's almost like he's yelling at you. The owner tho, really tries and is very nice.

Overall: 3/5
    I can see white guys be ok with it. Pho Tranh is still better and cheaper but a further drive for me. So I think I'll be a regular here as long as they keep improving and all the operation kinks worked out. And there is a lot of kinks to work out. I have never seen 6-7 people working a kitchen and service is still only average in speed.

Bonus:
    That mall's layout is fucked up. 2 ways in and only 1 way out. And the curb is really high, watch for busted lips if your ride is lowered.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Stay away

Went there yesterday for lunch and it was a huge let down. We got there right at 12 and it was packed so it looked promising. Ordered their xl dac biet and it was a smaller portion than pho thanhs large. The soup was realy weak on flavor(happens at pho thanh sometimes too) and the service was pretty bad. They had the pho thanh fankenstein looking guy and another older lady working the front so it was quite the gong show with only 2 peeps clearing tables, running orders, making drinks and working the till. Their iced coffee also sucks
    Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

There's another Vietnamese place not far from Pho Van.

It's called Vietnamese Sub and Grill and is in the same building as Mother's Pizza and the car wash.

http://www.vietnamsubandgrill.com/

The only thing I've had from there was the chicken sate bahn mi (sub), and I thought it was decent.

Has anyone else tried it? I didn't see a review anywhere on this site.