Quantcast
Lost my iPod - Suggest a player that will handle FLAC? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lost my iPod - Suggest a player that will handle FLAC?

Default Lost my iPod - Suggest a player that will handle FLAC?

So, I lost my iPod and a $150 pair of headphones....not very pleased haha.

Anyways, I had a 8GB Nano 3rd gen and it treated me well.

Does anyone know of small/smallish, high capacity, players that will handle FLAC? Most of my music is that format. I bring it to the gym with me, so I'd like it to have flash memory and be small as well.

I also despise iTunes so it would be fantastic if I could get away from that too.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

My Ride
    Grimace

I would just get another ipod nano. I have looked for other brands but nothing can really compare anymore now that they basically have the market. I already have 2x shuffle, 1x nano, a classic and a video Convert to apple lossless then use a different software to manage it, I know winamp has plugins for that. I love my nano at the gym as I can just clip it onto my shorts, don't have to worry about it dropping or anything and it is pretty bulletproof. Very small, excellent battery life, buttons work fine without turning the screen on

Hmm, I don't quite understand your suggestion shocker. I was under the impression that Mitsu wants a portable music player that plays flac because of better quality, yet you suggest he go back to Apple, which can't play it.

I don't think the issue with Mitsu is not having a media player at home that can play flac. I too am waiting on this thread for a suggestion for a player that plays flac and that some of the members may have tried.

http://astore.amazon.com/wwwjetmalln...ail/B0048BPI7C
    Last edited by [Yu]; 02-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Mitsu waht phone do you have right now?

If you have a galaxy s2, those play FLAC.

Maybe just upgrade your phone and have everything on one device.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by [Yu]
    Hmm, I don't quite understand your suggestion shocker. I was under the impression that Mitsu wants a portable music player that plays flac because of better quality, yet you suggest he go back to Apple, which can't play it.

I don't think the issue with Mitsu is not having a media player at home that can play flac. I too am waiting on this thread for a suggestion for a player that plays flac and that some of the members may have tried.
    Well it would still be high quality sound with apple lossless, but in terms of players available ipods are generally the most popular as other makers dont compete like they used to. 16gb is generally also the normal size in that type of player so it wouldn't hold that many flac songs no? I took the gym part as my main reasoning as the nano is perfect for that with the built in clip and very small size.

edit: well it appears creative has some newer players, this one plays flac and has a touch screen and is 8/16/32gb, no clip though.
    http://us.store.creative.com/Creativ...B005MJU1QC.htm
    Last edited by schocker; 02-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.

supported hardware for FLAC:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

among portables:

iPod via the Rockbox firmware replacement

(just what I found while reading up on FLAC. I really don't know much about it)

I have a Galaxy Nexus but it's WAY too big to bring to the gym with me, and too valuable if I drop a weight on it or something haha.

My ideal player would be like a 32gb Nano-sized player....however I'm not sure that exists.

I'd rather not convert all my music to ALAC or else I'd just stick with Apple. I hate how there is no flexibility there.

That Crown looks good but it's way too big. Also, I think it uses a mini hard drive rather than flash which may not be good when I'm jogging or moving around a lot at the gym.

The Sansa players get excellent reviews, are cheap, play FLAC, but are only 8GB. You can expand them to 24GB with a micro SD but apparently it's not ideal.

I'd consider a new nano but I don't like the touch screen - I sometimes change songs through my pockets when walking to work or at the gym and I prefer the real buttons anyways.

I also don't care about screen size, video/app support, etc. I use it strictly for music.

The rockbox option intrigues me, because I think Apple has the best hardware still.

Anyways thanks for the replies so far, it looks like I have a lot more research to do. I don't know much about portable audio players, unfortunately.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'd consider a new nano but I don't like the touch screen - I sometimes change songs through my pockets when walking to work or at the gym and I prefer the real buttons anyways.
    Nano can do that with the big button, double press and it goes to the next song. It isn't much, but was still nice to have while not accessing the screen. The sansa does have a 16gb i see but the clip one is a 8gb. Larger one does play flac though.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

You're bringing FLAC formatted music to the gym? Scale it down to 320kps or less and enjoy the music on any old iPod. No one is critically listening to music at the gym
    Ultracrepidarian

Sansa Clip+ FTW

though I do agree... FLAC can be overkill for general listening, this device does it well

it uses a Cirrus logic DAC and has a very flat onboard amp that performs incredibly well...

I use it at the gym, coupled to a denon ahd-751 IEM which has a short cable and it stays out of the way perfectly

I use it at work w/ my audio technica ANC-7C noise cancelling headphones

I use it at home w/ my AKG 701's w/ a audio alchmey HPA amp

I actually use it as my principle source alot of times, just cause its convenient to just use.

I use a 1/8th mini to RCA (I use moon audio cable) and use the on-board amp as the pre-amp directly into my power amp

I've compared it with other sources, other portables, and even next to my Jolida CDP and it actually hangs in there very well
    it images well, its detailed yet warm, there is no bass dropoff and in incredibly linear

for $29 bucks + a 16gb microsd... you're golden... and I like using it for flash storage as well

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

I personally have a Cowon S9, which plays FLAC. The battery lasts quite a long time on it, and it has a really good DAC. Sounds really nice with FLAC and a decent set of headphones, or hooked through a mini amp into a decent set of bookshelves. It isn't all that big, and is extremely light. The one I have is 32 gigs, but they have other models that have Micro SD for expandability.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/s9/index.html

There is a bunch of different Cowon products that can do FLAC, so check out their line. Also, if you want a forum to do some research on, check out:

http://anythingbutipod.com/

Has some really good reviews and threads about different players that are obviously not Itunes reliant.
    Last edited by kragnorok; 02-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Creative Zen, best mp3 player.... Period. (yes, it supports FLAC)

My Ride
    Grimace

With regards to those zen players, are bluetooth headphones any good?
    I had come a cross these ones and they look exactly what I would want in a pair.
    http://www.jaybirdstore.com/s.nl/it.A/id.311/.f
    Maybe I could get a new zen and keep the nano just for the gym

Breaking news....I found my iPod haha. I still might upgrade though.

Originally posted by msommers
    You're bringing FLAC formatted music to the gym? Scale it down to 320kps or less and enjoy the music on any old iPod. No one is critically listening to music at the gym
    It's more a case of most of my music being in FLAC already, and I'd have to convert it all to MP3. It's an option though, I suppose.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Sansa Clip+ FTW

though I do agree... FLAC can be overkill for general listening, this device does it well

it uses a Cirrus logic DAC and has a very flat onboard amp that performs incredibly well...

I use it at the gym, coupled to a denon ahd-751 IEM which has a short cable and it stays out of the way perfectly

I use it at work w/ my audio technica ANC-7C noise cancelling headphones

I use it at home w/ my AKG 701's w/ a audio alchmey HPA amp

I actually use it as my principle source alot of times, just cause its convenient to just use.

I use a 1/8th mini to RCA (I use moon audio cable) and use the on-board amp as the pre-amp directly into my power amp

I've compared it with other sources, other portables, and even next to my Jolida CDP and it actually hangs in there very well
    it images well, its detailed yet warm, there is no bass dropoff and in incredibly linear

for $29 bucks + a 16gb microsd... you're golden... and I like using it for flash storage as well

Yeah my research seems to be pointing me that way - thanks.

Originally posted by kragnorok
    I personally have a Cowon S9, which plays FLAC. The battery lasts quite a long time on it, and it has a really good DAC. Sounds really nice with FLAC and a decent set of headphones, or hooked through a mini amp into a decent set of bookshelves. It isn't all that big, and is extremely light. The one I have is 32 gigs, but they have other models that have Micro SD for expandability.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/s9/index.html

There is a bunch of different Cowon products that can do FLAC, so check out their line. Also, if you want a forum to do some research on, check out:

http://anythingbutipod.com/

Has some really good reviews and threads about different players that are obviously not Itunes reliant.
    Great player, just way too big

Originally posted by DeeK
    Creative Zen, best mp3 player.... Period. (yes, it supports FLAC)
    I had an older zen, and it was without question the worst piece of hardware I've ever owned haha. It had the worst "touch" controls, and it broke after a short period of time with extremely light use. Maybe the new ones are better.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I had an older zen, and it was without question the worst piece of hardware I've ever owned haha. It had the worst "touch" controls, and it broke after a short period of time with extremely light use. Maybe the new ones are better.
    I had a zen touch years ago before I got an ipod. Worked pretty well until my sister dropped it and the scroll line thing stopped working.

The X-FI3 and M300 do look pretty neat though and are quite cheap with upgrade-able storage.