Quantcast
Haskayne MBA - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Haskayne MBA

My Ride
    X5

Default Haskayne MBA

Anyone here recently graduated from Haskayne MBA program? Just curious on your thoughts about the program.

*Edit* the Full-time program in particular

Thanks

Know some ppl who did it and my first question is what is your work background, how long have you been a professional and how many years of critical high level thinking/decision making have you had with companies?

Will help me answer the usefulness of this program to you

My Ride
    X5

5 years as a professional, Corporate finance background and decision making for about 3 years

In it right now. I initially went to this school because it would be cheaper for me, due to living here and some hefty scholarships. Having almost completed it, I don't regret my decision at all. Basically what you put into it is what you get out. There are a few people, particularly some of the part-timers, who are there just to get the letters behind their name and the associated raise, rather than get the complete worth of their education. However, if you are there to learn, there are actually some pretty good profs and classes.

Seeing as you are in corporate finance it depends where you want to go in your career.

My advice to you is to go to an info session, and then maybe come in and talk to some of the staff and possibly some profs and see what you think.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

Originally posted by Marsh
    5 years as a professional, Corporate finance background and decision making for about 3 years
    Seems like you have decent enough experience. From what I have been told from past graduates is the value of the program lies in drawing all the learnings back to your past experiences and realizing where you may have made improvements. This isn't a course meant for someone without that abililty, unless of course you just want the fancy title on your business card.

Every single person I have known who as gone to it is young with ~3-5 years experience and they said they wished they had more experience in the real world before heading back for an MBA.

Just some food for thought.

My Ride
    2002 e46

Originally posted by dj_honda
    In it right now. I initially went to this school because it would be cheaper for me, due to living here and some hefty scholarships. Having almost completed it, I don't regret my decision at all. Basically what you put into it is what you get out. There are a few people, particularly some of the part-timers, who are there just to get the letters behind their name and the associated raise, rather than get the complete worth of their education. However, if you are there to learn, there are actually some pretty good profs and classes.

Seeing as you are in corporate finance it depends where you want to go in your career.

My advice to you is to go to an info session, and then maybe come in and talk to some of the staff and possibly some profs and see what you think.

This sums it up perfectly. I am in it right now, started full time and moved to part time after extending a summer contract. To get the most out of it, you have to be willing to put a lot into it. If all you want is the three letters behind your name, then stay away. Those type of people dilute the value of an MBA in the real world.

Haskayne has made lots of stides in the last couple of year. Increase in the rankings, and success in global case competitions. I would also suggest going in for an info session, or even a co-worker that has a Haskayne MBA. Two years goes by pretty fast in the full time program, but it is still two years of your life. If your not dedicating those 2 years for the right reasons, an MBA in general may not be the right thing for you.

If an MBA is what you want, I can say that I will walk out of haskayne with a positive experience overall.

My Ride
    X5

Thanks for the input. I have gone and talked to the adcoms and have gone to the info sessions, I was looking more for the input from actual students then the usual marketing/generic comments from the staff.

Also curious, are you guys looking for a career change after the mba? Or just further advancement in your current industry?

Is the 1st year theory classes (finance/marketing etc.) and the 2nd year Case studies?

Also does haskayne have their trading floor set up?

Thanks
    Last edited by Marsh; 02-22-2012 at 01:37 PM.

My Ride
    2002 e46

Thanks for the input. I have gone and talked to the adcoms and have gone to the info sessions, I was looking more for the input from actual students then the usual marketing/generic comments from the staff.

Also curious, are you guys looking for a career change after the mba? Or just further advancement in your current industry?

Is the 1st year theory classes (finance/marketing etc.) and the 2nd year Case studies?

Also does haskayne have their trading floor set up?

Thanks

I believe the Murray Edwards Finance Lab is up and running now. not 100% though. 1st year classes are theory but the application is done through cases.

I went into the MBA program looking for a career change. I came from the Market Research industry where my skills were pigeon holed, and ended up getting a job after the first year in corporate O&G (Which is where I wanted to be).

Trading lab is up but is currently only open to certain student groups such as CPMT, GIRC, Rotman Trading, etc. This might change in the new school year.

My Ride
    X5

Has anyone done a MBA from UofA? curious about the program

Has anyone done a MBA from UofA? curious about the program
    In the part-time program right now, so i can only comment on that.

The program has honestly taught me alott, I'm about half way through and helluva alot more knowledgable for it. The work load is intense, carrying 3-courses plus 40hour work week is draining. The concepts are simple enough but the deliverables consume a shit-boat load of time.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    X5

Originally posted by jazzyb

In the part-time program right now, so i can only comment on that.

The program has honestly taught me alott, I'm about half way through and helluva alot more knowledgable for it. The work load is intense, carrying 3-courses plus 40hour work week is draining. The concepts are simple enough but the deliverables consume a shit-boat load of time.
    Is that the executive mba one? I didnt think they had a part time in calgary, just the emba

Not the emba, the regular mba. They do, and they have I believe for 10+ years, offer it that is.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

If you already have a corporate finance background, I would suggest you look into the Master's of Financial Management program through the University of Alberta (offered at their Calgary Campus).
    It is put on by their MBA department, but is focused on people that have a commerce degree, and either an accounting or CFA designation (although the designation is not mandatory, but it will help).

Great program, quite quantitative...curriculum is based on developing business professional for a Comptroller/Treasurer/CFO type of role.

Send me a pm if you want more details (I completed the program last year).
    Last edited by 2000Accord; 11-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Anyone see the Energy Executive MBA? You do your classes in Calgary, Houston, London, Abu Dhabi and Beijing. That would be pretty sweet!

http://www.energyemba.com/

I didn't even look at the tuition for that..

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

Originally posted by Caricar
    Anyone see the Energy Executive MBA? You do your classes in Calgary, Houston, London, Abu Dhabi and Beijing. That would be pretty sweet!

http://www.energyemba.com/

I didn't even look at the tuition for that..
    I'll do it for you

Program Fees are US$105,000.This includes all study materials and on-campus meals (daily breakfast, lunch, refreshments). Program fees are exclusive of transportation and accommodation costs.