Quantcast
Android phones? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Android phones?

Yeah you can use any (unlocked) HSPA phone from Telus on Rogers and vice-versa, I don't even think Telus issues CDMA phones anymore do they?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I have a Galaxy II X from Telus and for the most part I like it. My co-worker is also on Telus and he uses an iPhone. He gets reception in some places where I do not. Also I tether a lot and after awhile the phone needs to be reset, otherwise it just does not want to work anymore.

Coming from a Blackberry, the touch screen took some getting used to. Now I'm better at it, but to be honest, there is no replacement for the touch keypad they have. I could type so friggin fast on that, shortcut keys etc.

The android is nice to be able to setup the widgets, apps, games, internet is far superior. Email is pretty good, especially with Gmail but syncing with Shaw is just OK. I can swip to see 10 stocks setup right away, look at my calendar with another swipe...customizing the different screens, the sizes is a really nice feature.

Overall, if RIMM didn't have such a questionable future I might go back to the Bold 9900. I tried it again while I was in the store and instantly loved the keypad again, it's just so much better than touchscreen.

For a phone to be the best at being a phone (calling, texting, email), I think BB. But for a 'fun' device that is pretty OK as a phone, I'd say iPhone or Android.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by Mar

Telus uses a CDMA based backbone network and Rogers uses TDMA, I'd be surprised if you could cross platforms like that. Is there something with the new HSPA network which allows this?
    Telus/Bell built their own HSPA network which has nothing to do with the old CDMA network and I'm pretty sure Rogers retired their old TDMA network long ago after they built their GSM/HSPA network.

I used to be an Apple hater myself, but after buying an iPhone 4, and now a 4S, I know for sure that if you don't like Apple, you have either never used any of their devices (with an open mind), or you just love when things are complex.

I'm still not a huge fan of Apple, but iPhone 4S really is the shit, and after using it a few of my Apple hating friends are on the same boat too.

Having said that though, you really can't go wrong with any phone you pick now-a-days. It's like trying to say "Audi sucks, Benz is the shit!" when in reality both are amazing products.
    Last edited by arian_ma; 02-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by arian_ma
    I used to be an Apple hater myself, but after buying an iPhone 4, and now a 4S, I know for sure that if you don't like Apple, you have either never used any of their devices (with an open mind), or you just love when things are complex.
    I repair all models of all apple products as a side business. I have used pretty much every product the company has to offer. I deal with the issues, poor build quality and the bug-ridden OS on a daily basis.

I run android and have since the Nexus One. So you don't know for sure...

Edit for relevance: http://9gag.com/gag/2548566
    Last edited by spike98; 02-24-2012 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mar hates iPhones, so that's gotta be the best phone out there.

He's like George Costanza. If you do everything opposite of him, you're in good shape!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by megavolt

Telus/Bell built their own HSPA network which has nothing to do with the old CDMA network and I'm pretty sure Rogers retired their old TDMA network long ago after they built their GSM/HSPA network.
    What happens when you're outside HSPA coverage?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

This is my rule of thumb. And come on everything that leaves my mouth is truth so forget what everyone else is saying and follow me:

If you want a phone that will do somewhat cool things, but basically is there for exactly what you need it and nothing more, and or you are a hipster....

Buy an iPhone

If you want a super bad ass phone that bitches be like, "OMG who dat guy?" But in seriousness a more open sourced phone, with open source apps, and the ability to literally tweak ANYTHING and still do the same things iPhone does...

Buy an Android

In respect to Androids there really is 2 choices. Go with the Galaxy S2 or Nexus and the likes if you are easy on your phones. If you are not, YOU WILL BREAK IT. I'm not joking I demolished my S2. If you are hard on your phones (like me) go with the Motorola Razr (more specifically the new one as it has a prolonged battery life).

I've owned iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. I will never go back to anything but Android.

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by Mar

What happens when you're outside HSPA coverage?
    Then you phone doesn't work... It looks like Bell/Telus's HSPA coverage map is pretty much identical to Roger's and the extra spots that Roger's 2G network covers don't seem that extensive.

I don't think there were very many phones made that could fallback to CDMA (I know there were a couple).

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by megavolt

Then you phone doesn't work... It looks like Bell/Telus's HSPA coverage map is pretty much identical to Roger's and the extra spots that Roger's 2G network covers don't seem that extensive.

I don't think there were very many phones made that could fallback to CDMA (I know there were a couple).
    I'd like to have access to at least EVDO when outside HSPA coverage. I think porting a phone like that would be a bad idea.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Sentra

Where is there evdo coverage that there is not HSPA coverage? their HSPA network is an overlay.

I was a diehard iPhone user until I got my first Andriod phone. My only regret was not switching to Android much sooner. I'm absolutely thrilled with my phone. Most people I know with iPhones only have them because everyone else does, not because they were the best phone available. iPhones are still great though, with excellent accessory support and they are extremely simple/user friendly UNLESS you want to change something, or get away from iTunes. A big reason I like android is the screens are so much better - larger, OLED, higher resolution. It'll be interesting to see what the iPhone 5 brings...they are going to need to kick that screen up a notch.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by GoChris
    Where is there evdo coverage that there is not HSPA coverage? their HSPA network is an overlay.

Originally posted by Mar

Old maps. I suggest you use one from bell themselves

In actuallity there is LESS EVDO coverage than HSPA. Sask is a bit of a black hole because of sasktel but that will be changing shortly.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by spike98
    In actuallity there is LESS EVDO coverage than HSPA. Sask is a bit of a black hole because of sasktel but that will be changing shortly.

Saktel coverage map......take with a grain of salt though, their 4G is FUCKING UNRELIABLE GARBAGE so far.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

my phone is starting to burn in. the keypad for my sgs2 into the screen.

I'm not very impressed with my SG2S from Bell. I don't think it's ever been connected to a G3 or G4 network, I always have reception but even if leaning on a cell phone tower loading webpages is ball slow if it loads at all. Once a day I have to remove the battery to clear the ram. restarting the pone doesn't help. clearing the memory in task manage doesn't help. it's just slowly builds up even if no apps are running. and almost every application will crash on me sometime through out the day.

speaking of which the android facebook app is the bane of my existence. I have to clear ram or restart the phone to load each picture. it often says events that are days old are the most resent, and it always says i've got new notification regardless if there are any at all. oh and it won't refresh more then once every ten minutes or so......

voice command is the new version of that annoying paper clip from office word. there is no way to shut it off so when you least expect it, you hit the home key to put your phone away and this infuriating voice comes on "WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO" that can be heard from a few houses down.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by syritis
    I'm not very impressed with my SG2S from Bell. I don't think it's ever been connected to a G3 or G4 network, I always have reception but even if leaning on a cell phone tower loading webpages is ball slow if it loads at all. Once a day I have to remove the battery to clear the ram. restarting the pone doesn't help. clearing the memory in task manage doesn't help. it's just slowly builds up even if no apps are running. and almost every application will crash on me sometime through out the day.

speaking of which the android facebook app is the bane of my existence. I have to clear ram or restart the phone to load each picture. it often says events that are days old are the most resent, and it always says i've got new notification regardless if there are any at all. oh and it won't refresh more then once every ten minutes or so......

voice command is the new version of that annoying paper clip from office word. there is no way to shut it off so when you least expect it, you hit the home key to put your phone away and this infuriating voice comes on "WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO" that can be heard from a few houses down.
    Don't have the issues with the phone being slow or crashing like you but the home button thing drives me nuts sometimes, happens every now and then. I hate that damn voice, 'what would you like to do?" STFU
    bitch.. haha.

Problem with the Bell GS2 is that its running 2.3.3, which is like the oldest version of gingerbread. I flashed a newer rom (offical samsung) 2.3.5, my battery life is nearly double what it was, no other issues to speak of. There are even leaked ICS roms out there. Its very easy to flash using ODIN, no root or anything required. With the crashing issues etc your having I would suggest a factory reset if you have not already. Could be a bad app causing alot of issues.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 02-28-2012 at 09:38 AM.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Originally posted by ZEDGE

Don't have the issues with the phone being slow or crashing like you but the home button thing drives me nuts sometimes, happens every now and then. I hate that damn voice, 'what would you like to do?" STFU
    bitch.. haha.

Problem with the Bell GS2 is that its running 2.3.3, which is like the oldest version of gingerbread. I flashed a newer rom (offical samsung) 2.3.5, my battery life is nearly double what it was, no other issues to speak of. There are even leaked ICS roms out there. Its very easy to flash using ODIN, no root or anything required. With the crashing issues etc your having I would suggest a factory reset if you have not already. Could be a bad app causing alot of issues.
    Zedge you should try CheckRom, its absolutely amazing. The kitchen app which lets you customize the rom on the fly is brilliant. We're talking themes, kernels, modems, widgets and a whole lot more. And leomar and the Check team are very active devs. I could not be happier with my phone...except maybe when a stable ICS comes out but then Leomar promised the Check team would create an ICS based rom.

Anyone keeping up with the SGS 3 leaked specs? A 1080p screen, let me repeat 1080p full HD!!! I'll believe it when I see it. It wasn't too long ago TV's made the jump to 1080p.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

There are no phones that fall back from HSPA to EVDO, two different technologies, not possible.

HSPA coverage is almost identical to EVDO, couple spots in rural areas haven't been upgraded though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast