Quantcast
Android phones? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Android phones?

My Ride
    Acura EL

Default Android phones?

So I'm usually a pretty up to date guy with all the new tech, but I've never really followed the android stuff. And now i'm looking at getting rid of my blackberry and never go back. My two options are iphone 4S or a android. I really wanna try an android but have no idea about them. Whats the good features of them? And what models are good to take a look at? Suggestions. Thanks!

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

My Ride
    F30

Go for android, they are more customizable, your not limited to i tunes, you can use live widgets which I think are cool, you can get bigger screen sizes, a lot of the androids have expandable memory, the list goes on...... but if you want a simple basic smartphone then iphone would be the way to go
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

iPhone
    - can't remove the battery
    - expandable memory?
    - proprietary USB cable
    - can only load music with iTunes
    - it's Apple
    - if you want to develop applications for it, the SDK is $100

Android
    - can remove/change the battery
    - expandable memory up to 32 gibibytes
    - loading music is just drag and drop into the folder
    - standard USB cables
    - not Apple

One thing to know is that they might all be Android on the backend for running all the processes but each manufacturer chooses to overlay their own frontend. That means the placement of buttons, user features and friendliness of the device is all determined by the specific manufacturer's frontend software. HTC has Sense which I think works really well but Motorola and LG have something a little difference and has minor differences. Last time I compared, one example was the fact that Sense has 7 home screens while Motorola only had 3. Or 5? 3 I think.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Nexus galaxy

if you want the best user experience with no bugs, iPhone.

if you want full customization and a whole open platform that you can play around with and don't mind bugs, go with the android.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I think the biggest advantage of Android is CHOICE. You get a phone and use it the way you want. People who don't understand this will call it fragmentation.

The other perks I enjoy is price and a bigger screen size. Mine is 4.3 inches which I think is ideal. Anything under 4" is too small (unless you're a girl).

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by trieuth

if you want full customization and a whole open platform that you can play around with and don't mind bugs, go with the android.
    Hmmm, I have a galaxy S2 what are these bugs of which you speak?

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Hmmm, I have a galaxy S2 what are these bugs of which you speak?
    If you add or remove home screens, can you then choose which of the remaining will be your default? I think I ran into this glitch with samsung phones. this of course can be fixed with apps from the market.

If OP is considering a move from bb to android, consider how important the LED notification light is to you, not all androids have them (most HTC and new samsung phones will)
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

Originally posted by Kardon

If OP is considering a move from bb to android, consider how important the LED notification light is to you, not all androids have them (most HTC and new samsung phones will)
    Most if not all android devices can use NoLED or BLN for screen off notifications.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

"if you want the best user experience with no bugs, iPhone."

are you sure?

THe best android phone out right now is Samsung Galaxy s2. The galaxy s3 will be announced on March 13th so you might want to wait for that?

Originally posted by Diesel2005
    THe best android phone out right now is Samsung Galaxy s2. The galaxy s3 will be announced on March 13th so you might want to wait for that?
    It is rumoured to be released in turkey march 13th but isn't anticipated in NA until august or september. Also i will argue that the S2 is a fantastic piece of hardware IMO the GNEX is far superior. I have owned both.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

or you jailbreak an iphone 4S (limited time before 5.0.2 comes out) and you have a perfect phone with customization.. I've been jailbreaking for over a year now and the only way I'm getting an android is if I can't.
    My GFs android galaxy S is a hunk of shit that is buggy, comes with shit upgrade software. Everytime she does a full power cycle it beeps really loud like a siren for around 5 minutes, figure that one out... The touch screen sucks, when you side swipe between screens its almost laggy. We've reset her phone many times, it just feels cheap/kids toy compared to an iphone!

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

so far i think the best is the HTC incredbile 2... big, but thin.. and fast.

My Ride
    2008 UA7

I got the SGS2(International Version) and is probably by far the best phone I have ever used. Went from a curve, 9000 Bold, 9700 Bold, 9900 Bold, Iphone4, Iphone4S, then to a SGS2 and stuck with it.
    1998 Honda Civic SI *totalled*
    2000 Honda Prelude *sold*
    2004 Acura TSX *sold*
    2004 Honda S2000 *sold*
    2008 Acura TL Type S *current daily*
    2015 KTM RC390 *current daily*

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by zarge
    or you jailbreak an iphone 4S (limited time before 5.0.2 comes out) and you have a perfect phone with customization.. I've been jailbreaking for over a year now and the only way I'm getting an android is if I can't.
    My GFs android galaxy S is a hunk of shit that is buggy, comes with shit upgrade software. Everytime she does a full power cycle it beeps really loud like a siren for around 5 minutes, figure that one out... The touch screen sucks, when you side swipe between screens its almost laggy. We've reset her phone many times, it just feels cheap/kids toy compared to an iphone!
    So your're writing off Android based on your experience with 'one' phone in a sea of dozens? Makes perfect sense.. Thats the thing with Android, you have choices.. which seems to be a dirty word to Apple fanboys.

For the OP, I would suggest a Galaxy S 2, or Galaxy Nexus. Both are very different user interfaces though, Galaxy S 2 has touchwiz, which I think is by far the best 'overlay' on Android right now. The Galaxy Nexus is stock IceCream Sandwich, the newest version of Android. The Galaxy S 2 will get the upgrade but the touchwiz skin will remain on top. Best to go try out some phones at Best Buy or something to see what you like.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 02-22-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Originally posted by ZEDGE

So your're writing off Android based on your experience with 'one' phone in a see of dozens? Makes perfect sense.. Thats the thing with Android, you have choices.. which seems to be a dirty word to Apple fanboys.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Android is the way to go!

My Ride
    Acura EL

So the reason I havnt switched earlier is because I love the keyboard of blackberry, and hate touch screen keyboards. So I'm most likely going to purchase a HTC Status from telus and get it unlocked so I can use for rogers. Can anyone unlock an android phone?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by trieuth
    WOW. Are you sure? The iPhone doesn't have bugs because all the shitty things that frustrate you with that phone were put there on purpose. That is by far the most frustrating and non user friendly device I have ever had in my hands. I felt like I wanted to throw it at the ground.

Originally posted by Diesel2005
    You can't solidly say what the best phone out there is. Which advantages does the Galaxy 2 have over the HTC Sensation or the Galaxy Nexus? Or the HTC Amaze?

Originally posted by Teknix
    So the reason I havnt switched earlier is because I love the keyboard of blackberry, and hate touch screen keyboards. So I'm most likely going to purchase a HTC Status from telus and get it unlocked so I can use for rogers. Can anyone unlock an android phone?
    Telus uses a CDMA based backbone network and Rogers uses TDMA, I'd be surprised if you could cross platforms like that. Is there something with the new HSPA network which allows this?
    If you want your phone unlocked, go to www.mobileincanada.com, enter your details, pay with Paypal and wait an hour. I've used them twice for Android phones, flawless both times.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast