Quantcast
Latest Canon Announcements - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Canon Announcements

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Hmmm interesting. If it's true, then there will finally be a camera worthy to replace my 40Ds. I love 'em but they are my primary cams and I use the living hell out of them and they are starting to wear out. The price doesn't thrill me though, I bought my 40Ds for $700 brand new. Maybe next year after the price drops a bit.

Yeah the specs seem basically like a mini 1DX, so the list seems almost more of a wish list than an actual spec list, but who knows. It would be awesome if they offered a APS-C camera like this.

Canon's pricing has been extremely high lately (5D3, 6D, 1DX, 24-70II, new super tele's, etc. all way higher than the competition), so I actually wouldn't be that surprised is the 7D successor came out over 2 grand if they stick with their current pricing scheme. To be fair though, if it had those specs with no surprises, I think people would pay 2 grand for that.

My Ride

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about full frame cameras, croppers get the job done well for me. This would be an awesome cam for me to have. 61 points on a cropped viewfinder... sheesh the entire viewfinder will be covered in points.

Couple new entry level cameras from Canon...still recycling a variant of the old 18MP sensor unfortunately:

Rebel T5i - $749 Basically identical to T4i save for the ability to now apply "creative filters":

18MP APS-C 'Hybrid CMOS' sensor
    Phase-detection AF from imaging sensor for Live View and Video
    Continuous autofocus in movie mode with subject tracking
    New 18-55mm STM kit lens with stepper motor for improved live view/video autofocus
    14-bit DIGIC 5 processor
    ISO 100-12800 standard, 25600 expanded
    5 fps continuous shooting
    9 point AF system, all sensors cross type, central sensor F2.8 (from 60D)
    63 zone iFCL metering
    1080p30 video recording, stereo sound with internal or external mics
    1.04m dot 3:2 touch-sensitive vari-angle ClearView II LCD (capacitative type, multi-touch support

Rebel SL1 - $650 apparently the worlds smallest DSLR that is supposed to take away some mirrorless customers:

Small form factor DSLR weighing 400g/14oz.
    18MP APS-C sensor with 14-bit DIGIC 5 processor
    'Hybrid CMOS AF II' system with 80% frame coverage
    Continuous autofocus in movie mode with subject tracking
    ISO 100-12800 (expandable to ISO 25600)
    4 fps continuous shooting
    1080p30 video recording, monaural microphone (stereo input jack)
    3-inch fixed capacitive touch-screen (same as EOS M)
    9 point AF (central sensor is cross-type)
    'Creative Filters' image-processing controls, previewed live on-screen

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-21-2013 at 08:56 AM.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Pretty nice specs on the T5i, 5FPS, 9 cross type sensors, etc.

I don't know about the SL1 VS mirrorless thing. When I had the Olympus E-420 (very close to the previously claimed world's smallest DSLR E-410), it was a challenge to fit that combo into my pockets with a pancake lens on, and that thing just had a raised ridge instead of a grip. Once it's too big to be in my pocket, size became much less of an issue. Lower price is always nice though, but pricing on mirrorless can definitely be below $650 for a decent kit.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

Originally posted by ga16i
    Pretty nice specs on the T5i, 5FPS, 9 cross type sensors, etc.
    It's literally the same as a T4i except for a touchscreen, creative modes, and a different battery. I don't know who in the right mind would buy this over a T4i. Same 4 year old sensor as well. Seems like a really strange "update".

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Rebel SL1 - $650 apparently the worlds smallest DSLR that is supposed to take away some mirrorless customers:
    Fuck that

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

^^ Haha, pretty much my exact same thought.

I don't think they will be taking away too many mirrorless fans. Ergonomics are probably poor as well if the camera is that tiny. That is subjective though I suppose.

They have been recycling the same general parts in their APS-C cameras for the last 4 years now. Time for a change IMO. Hopefully the 7D II or 70D or whatever it is brings that. Rumor on the Canon forums is that they delayed the 70D after they saw the D7100.

The major roadblock thus far is they are still using 0.5 micron sensor fabrication, where everyone else is using 0.18 micron fab. They also still use off-chip A/D conversion, which is likely one reason why they cook their RAWs as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-21-2013 at 02:34 PM.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

It's literally the same as a T4i except for a touchscreen, creative modes, and a different battery. I don't know who in the right mind would buy this over a T4i. Same 4 year old sensor as well. Seems like a really strange "update".
    I had to look up the T4i specs, and you're absolutely right! WTF is this thing, is the entry level MP race really winding down? Basically the same'ish thing since T2i era?

Looking up the old Olympus E-410 (true DSLR with mirror and all) dimensions:

Canon SL1

407 g (0.90 lb / 14.36 oz) could not find spec saying whether or not this is w/ battery
    117 x 91 x 69 mm (4.61 x 3.58 x 2.72)

44.9 cubic inch

Olympus E-410

375 g (13.2 oz) w/o battery
    435 g (15.3 oz) w/ battery
    130 x 91 x 53 mm (5.1 x 3.6 x 2.1 in)

38.6 cubic inch

The SL1 is significantly shorter on the length measurement. I would notice a 1cm difference in a single camera body dimension, but by the same thinking, I'd probably notice a 1cm difference in thickness more just because it's a smaller distance to begin with, so bigger percentage difference.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    rally pig

^^ Haha, pretty much my exact same thought.

I don't think they will be taking away too many mirrorless fans. Ergonomics are probably poor as well if the camera is that tiny. That is subjective though I suppose.

They have been recycling the same general parts in their APS-C cameras for the last 4 years now. Time for a change IMO. Hopefully the 7D II or 70D or whatever it is brings that. Rumor on the Canon forums is that they delayed the 70D after they saw the D7100.

The major roadblock thus far is they are still using 0.5 micron sensor fabrication, where everyone else is using 0.18 micron fab. They also still use off-chip A/D conversion, which is likely one reason why they cook their RAWs as well.
    actually it's not a bad move when you consider you can use the whole range of EF and EF-s lens that Canon has to offer on such a small body with decent AF (compared to EOS-M) and APS-C sensor

wouldn't mind owning one for travelling TBH except I'm moving away from DSLR

Canon "officially" re-announced the 200-400/4 today, at the low low everyday price of $11,700 USD/ $12,000 Euros / $12,000 pounds. Original rumored price was $9700.

Cool lens but grossly overpriced. I can't see too many people paying $6,000 for a 1.4 TC...that's a bit ridiculous. If you want a case for it that will be another $650.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-13-2013 at 11:04 PM.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

70D

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/07/c...70d-announced/

London, UK, 2 July 2013 – Canon today unveils an outstanding new addition to its world-famous EOS series – the EOS 70D. Designed for aspiring enthusiast photographers, the EOS 70D is the ideal camera for anyone looking to take their photography to the next level. It combines completely new, world-first Canon imaging technology with powerful, creative and wireless sharing features – delivering a responsive, all-purpose camera ideal for capturing the moment with stunning images and Full HD video.

Capture the moment with stills and Full HD movies

The EOS 70D features a new 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, designed and manufactured by Canon. It’s the first Digital SLR in the world to feature ground-breaking Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, which delivers smooth and accurate autofocus (AF) when shooting Full HD movies and fast AF acquisition when shooting in Live View mode. Paired with the 14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor and 19-point all cross-type AF System, the EOS 70D captures incredible, full resolution images at up to 7 frames per second, with up to 65 JPEG or 16 RAW images in a single burst*. Additionally, a native ISO range of ISO 100-12800 enables photographers to shoot in lower light conditions and use faster shutter speeds whilst retaining high image quality.

“I was incredibly impressed with how many new technologies the EOS 70D packs into one body, and how versatile it is,” said Brutus Östling, Canon Ambassador. “The EOS 70D is the perfect camera for anyone that wants to develop their photography skills. Not only is it suited to shooting people, landscapes and action easily and in outstanding quality, but also filming subjects in Full HD with focus speeds I never thought would be possible. The camera proved itself in the most challenging of circumstances, and had a range of new-generation technologies to comfortably solve any test I threw at it – especially with the new Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. It really takes DSLR shooting and filmmaking to a whole new level.”

Canon’s new Dual Pixel CMOS AF provides swift AF performance when shooting in Live View mode and smooth accurate focus for Full HD movies. It makes it easy for users to take their next step with movies, enabling them to keep moving subjects in sharp focus and create professional-looking pull-focus effects. The technology utilises advanced CMOS architecture, allowing two photodiodes to be mounted within each pixel, both of which can be read independently to achieve autofocus, or together for image capture, with maximum image quality at all times.

An advanced AF system for stills includes 19 cross-type AF points spread across the frame, providing high speed, accurate AF – ideal for tracking sports and wildlife subjects as they move within the frame. The AF system is customisable, allowing photographers to adapt to the subject they’re shooting. AF points can be used individually, together in small groups, or as a wide active area for more unpredictable subjects. A dedicated AF area selection button, positioned conveniently next to the shutter release, enables quick switching between modes, without having to take the camera away from the eye.

Expertly designed for professional control

The EOS 70D’s powerful specification is packed into an expertly-engineered body that’s designed for comfort and swift operation. The Intelligent Viewfinder, with 98 per cent frame coverage and 0.95x magnification, allows photographers to comfortably frame their images and visualise settings via the electronic overlay. Conveniently-placed controls provide instant access to the most frequently used settings, such as ISO, AF mode selection and metering, so users can quickly change settings and concentrate on capturing the moment.

A 7.7cm (3.0”) Vari-angle Clear View LCD II Touch screen with a sharp 1,040k dot resolution is ideal for video shooting, or composing images from unusual and creative angles. The screen is a capacitive type, which supports a series of multi-touch gestures including swiping and pinch-zooming – perfect for navigating menus, amending settings or flicking through images.

Clever connectivity for easy control and instant sharing

The EOS 70D is the latest EOS model to feature integrated Wi-Fi, providing the freedom to remotely control the camera, as well as share images. Using Wi-Fi connectivity, users can connect to the EOS Remote app and control a wide range of image settings, including ISO and exposure, as well as focus and release the shutter. Photographers can also remotely use Live View mode, as well as review and rate their images.

Instant creativity unleashed

The EOS 70D features a host of creative modes to make capturing unique images easy. In-camera HDR removes the challenges of shooting in tricky, high contrast situations, merging three exposures into one that captures more detail in both the shadow and highlight areas. With multiple-exposure mode, photographers can shoot and combine up to nine exposures into a single image, or use a range of Creative Filters to instantly change the style and look of their shot.

Experimenting with creative off-camera flash is easy, thanks to the Integrated Speedlite transmitter, which provides in-camera control of multiple Canon Speedlite EX flash units.

Creative Full HD Movies

Alongside beautiful stills, the EOS 70D allows photographers to create high quality movies with ease. Full HD (1920 x 1080p) resolution video can be captured with a choice of selectable frame rates, including 30, 25 or 24fps, and 60 and 50fps at 720p, and a range of compression options for post-editing and sharing. Thanks to new Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Movie Servo AF mode tracks subjects as they move, or even as shots are recomposed, ensuring they’re always in focus. Alternatively, users can select different focus areas over 80 per cent of the frame** simply by tapping the touch-screen, even when recording – ensuring that movies stay sharp and clear if a subject moves or the user changes the composition of a shot.

Videographers can also enjoy stereo sound using the internal microphone, or enhance audio with the in-built external microphone input terminal. Full control over settings such as aperture and ISO is also possible within manual mode, giving users greater freedom as their skills develop.

EOS 70D – key features:

20.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
    19 point cross-type AF System and 7 fps shooting
    Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    Instant sharing and remote control with Wi-Fi
    ISO 12800 (H:25600)
    Vari-angle 7.7cm ClearView II LCD touch screen
    Intelligent viewfinder
    Full-HD movies
    *UHS-I card required for maximum burst duration
    **Dual Pixel CMOS AF is possible over 80 per cent of the width and height of the Live View frame

My Ride

Finally not that 18 MP sensor

also

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/canon-70d-hands-on/

wow look at that video...
    Last edited by Wakalimasu; 07-02-2013 at 01:52 AM.

My Ride

Holy SHIT! That video was incredible! I've not seen video af performance like that on a dslr ever before! That is actually professionally usable! I might actually be able to finally dump my whole m43 video rig because the focusing of the 70D is truly a HUGE step for the video world! It would be nice to be on one professional system again.

i honestly thought someone was focus pulling, but to see the bts vid and seeing him doing nothing more than touching the screen to focus so smoothly during live recording? Incredible! This new dual cmos thingy is a game changer!

this might actually be worth upgrading my 40d units for!

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by AccentAE86
    Holy SHIT! That video was incredible!
    That is crazy! Hopefully this dual pixel thing quickly spreads across the whole line, and into their mirrorless options.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

TCS previews the 70D. @3:45

My Ride
    Hatred

I want to own that camera. When will TCS start taking pre-orders?
    -U

My Ride

Digitalrev reviews the 70D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btaesOmA_ro

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by AccentAE86
    Holy SHIT! That video was incredible! I've not seen video af performance like that on a dslr ever before! That is actually professionally usable! I might actually be able to finally dump my whole m43 video rig because the focusing of the 70D is truly a HUGE step for the video world! It would be nice to be on one professional system again.

i honestly thought someone was focus pulling, but to see the bts vid and seeing him doing nothing more than touching the screen to focus so smoothly during live recording? Incredible! This new dual cmos thingy is a game changer!

this might actually be worth upgrading my 40d units for!
    Let me know if you want to sell one of your 40D's.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Let me know if you want to sell one of your 40D's.
    And you let me know when you sell it

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast