Quantcast
Latest Canon Announcements - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Canon Announcements

Originally posted by sl888
    Well it's official. Same AF system as the 1DX! Its even up on B&H for $3499 and the 600EX-RT for $629!
    I'm gonna be so broke.....
    How can it have the same AF system as the 1DX without a separate processor dedicated for AF? As far as I can tell it has a single Digic 5+. Anything will be an improvement over the previous two 5D's AF though. Looks like they upped the sealing too, which is great.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of Canon guys seem to be pissed off about the following:

- body (same bad ergonomics)
    - old metering system
    - Only 6fps, no option for higher w/grip - this is no sports camera.
    - Lots of ranting about a this being nothing more than a 5D II with different AF for $3,500
    -Lots of people seemingly wanted 30+ MP
    - No USB 3.0
    - No built in flash (Huge deal for those using off camera flash not wanting to buy triggers)
    - No AF at F8 (big problem for birders/wildlife photogs, or anyone using the big TC's)
    - No uncompressed 4:2:2 video clean out via HDMI
    - No intervalometer (timelapse)
    - No DOF preview button (Can't see one, anyways...might be there)
    - No proper auto ISO

Seems many won't be upgrading if they already have a 5DMK2. Funny, the "disappointed" threads are 3 times longer than the "Not disappointed" ones haha. Seems you can't please anyone these days.

Nothing is known until it's tested, of course, but there are too many "disappointment" threads to go through haha, I'm tired of reading. Funny how much people are able to decide sometimes without even seeing the camera or reading a proper test. All kinds of people introducing themselves over on the Nikon forums claiming to have jumped ship after the announcement haha - not even waiting for a test!

At $3,600 I don't think they will be taking any sales from the competition until the price drops substantially. Very small evolution rather than revolution (as with all cameras these days, it seems). IMO pricing for this camera makes sense around $2,600-$2,800. Should see a small bump in IQ and AF performance, but nothing truly groundbreaking.

The above are all what I've gathered from various other threads, but my personal thoughts are that it looks like a nice upgrade to a 5D MKII if you need better ISO or AF (assuming it will have improved). I do think it needs to cost $1,000 less to be more competitive though, as it's missing some key features. Perfect upgrade for 7D users looking to go full frame, too, it seems. I get the impression the fixed the 5DMK2 issues but didn't do much to release anything game-changing. Same thing Nikon did - nice improvement but nothing mind blowing.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-02-2012 at 12:13 AM.

My Ride
    2002 Lexus GS300

I can't wait for the 5d2's to start dropping so I can get a deal on a used one..

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Don't expect much. New 5DII's were $2000, this one is $3500. 2 completely different price points.

Confused how you don't think it'll steal sales from the D800 Mitsu. This camera is about as perfect as it gets for wedding photogs which is a huge segment. It's the mos flexible camera system to date in that price bracket. Offering great resolution, speed and a damn good AF system.

The lack of a popup flash isn't a bad thing. Popup flash will just make the camera that much heavier.

Besides it's only a matter of time now before canon releases the wireless trigger go along with those beautiful speedlites that everybody has been begging for. I can see the guys at pocketwizard looking very uneasy today.

The wierdest part of this all...

Nikon delivers a camera that many Canon shooters may be interested in... The D800...

Canon delivers a camera that has specs that match what a great deal of Nikon shooters wanted...

Which will outsell the others only time will tell.

This new speedlite though gives a clear advantage over Nikon though. From what I'm reading that ST-E3 can control up to 15 speedlites.

So what's the big deal?

You can push the output of both Nikon and Canon speedlites by using the maintenance mode. With the guide number on the 600EX speedlite you can achieve AB800 power output levels by using two 600EX's being shot side by side.

The battery life wouldn't be the best. You can reliably double the power output of the speedlites which would make them shoot roughly 3/4 power of an AB400. The guide number on the new flash would have it very close to an AB400.

The spedlite is almost more exciting than the actual camera to me.

The one part that bugs me a lot. I am hearing the 7D will not be replaced. I really loved the 7D and a replacement to it with better handling would have been awesome.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

6 fps vs 4 fps doesn't really seem like enough to get people to switch systems.

I'm assuming at 22 MP ISO performance will be the same between the 2, so will AF, video etc The D800 will give you 15 MP DX crops too, great for people who want the best of DX and FX.

Bottom line, I'm sure they'll be very comparable cameras in pretty much every way.

On a side note, for the 1DX being a dedicated sports camera, the buffer only fitting 35 RAW files is a huge disappointment.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Hey blitz, what's the buffer on the D4 hold again?

I need a fuckin pot stirring smiley :P
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

It seems you only manage to find people pissed at canon relases mistu.

Funny how it's different depedning on what crowd you're in. All the full time pro wedding/portrait shooters around me are over the moon with the mk3. Canon gave us exactly what we asked for. EXACTLY. Dual cards, no more megapixels, but cleaner pixels instead. Pro focus system. Faster operation. I've been hearing nothing but people on cloud nine. And canon themselves have said that the 5D line is mostly geared for landscape, portraiture and weddings, not birding and sports. Why the hell would you want to use a 5D for birding and sports? That's like a bentley owner bitching about his car not making 1.2g on the skidpad.

The new speedlite is super exciting though! Wow I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. More exciting than the mk3 imo!

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Why thank you for asking Steve! About 110 14 bit raw images using XQD, something like 80 using normal CF.

My Ride
    rally pig

I'm actually happy with the 5Diii, so tempted to pre-order one but I know gf will kill me if I go for one at this point.
    Maybe when it drops down a little more.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I didn't upgrade to the MkII cause I didn't feel it added what I needed from the MkI, but I'll definitely be upgrading to this. I hope there's a price drop by the summer, cause I gotta buy two

The actual buffer will be closer to 50 shots blitz. Canon has always under rated this. Even in the 1D Mark IV they stated 28 and most pro's were getting close to 40. I mean jeebus most pro sports guys have been doing fine with a buffer of 20 shots for a decade so I'm sure most aren't jumping up and down going oh boy I can now shoot 75 shots on a D4.

I personally don't know of many sports where you would need 7+ seconds of full frame shooting. I did spruce meadows on my 1D Mark IV just fine and that requires shooting a lot of frames. If anything the higher frame rate for me is more of a necessity to freeze action even more.

I'll assume you also haven't seen some of the samples from the 5D Mark III. Its upwards of 2 stops better than the D800. ISO 12,800 is remarkably clean and 25,600 is definitely not that bad. You will notice that at ISO 1250 to ISO 1600 on the D800 you start to get some grungy noise in dark area and shadows on the D800. It does also as you have pointed out offer 14 more megapixels.

The next question......

Who wants to take bets we'll see Nikon shooters buy Canon speedlites? The 600EX and ST-E3 are a huge advantage. I think pro's have been asking for radio controlled speedlites for years upon years. I'm actually way more excited about the speedlites than I am about the new cameras.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I didn't upgrade to the MkII cause I didn't feel it added what I needed from the MkI, but I'll definitely be upgrading to this. I hope there's a price drop by the summer, cause I gotta buy two
    Canon CPS pricing would appear to be in the $3049 price range.

I think that is one thing the vast majority of Nikon shooters never take into consideration with Canon shooters is many aren't paying the MSRP prices.

It's not like you order that through CPS either. You walk into TCS, show your CPS card and all the sudden the prices on the pro gear take a huge drop.

My Ride
    2002 Lexus GS300

which is hilarious because its more than that now, 3 years later lol. The only other hobby I've ever had where shit keeps its value this well is guns. I can buy a brand new gun, shoot the shit out of it for a year and sell it for the same price to a guy on the east coast where taxes are 15% lol.

Originally posted by blitz
    Don't expect much. New 5DII's were $2000, this one is $3500. 2 completely different price points.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Who wants to buy me one with their CPS membership? haha

Anybody in theory could however you would have no warranty. Since canon would have the serial number linked to a specific CPS member.

Camera Canada lists the body for $3799 and the 600EX for $699.
    I called TCS this morning. They didn't have a price or availability date. Somehow I ended up on their pre-order list....I have absolutely no idea how I'm gonna explain this one to the gf.

My Ride
    a car

Originally posted by pea_soup

Canon CPS pricing would appear to be in the $3049 price range.

I think that is one thing the vast majority of Nikon shooters never take into consideration with Canon shooters is many aren't paying the MSRP prices.

It's not like you order that through CPS either. You walk into TCS, show your CPS card and all the sudden the prices on the pro gear take a huge drop.

I taked with the Camera Store and they didn't think there was a CPS discount on the 5d series of cameras?
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

Whomever you spoke with would be terribly wrong. A CPS discount is available on just about any product they list as being professional or products that are applicable for CPS membership. The 5D is included in that.

Still annoys me how its $300 more in Canada even though our dollar is on par.

My Ride
    a car

Thanks

What is the typical discount? I've been a CPS member for a few years now, but usually buy from the states because of the lower prices.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast