Latest Canon Announcements - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Canon Announcements

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Nice, thanks Earl

I think you 7D owners can get the latest firmware now:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ersAndSoftware

Apparently Adorama leaked the 6D specs via pre-order webpage...should be announced fairly soon. DPreview also shows it in their database with specs, as it looks like it's being updated for a pending announcement. They also leaked the G15 (12MP 1/1.7 sensor, 28-140 f1/8-2.8) and HS-50 P&S cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos6d

20.2 MP @ 4.5 fps (no crop modes)

11 - pt AF with a single cross type sensor

1/4000 max shutter speed

1/180 Max sync

No built in flash (no wireless flash control)

Built-in GPS

Built-in Wi-Fi

Touch screen

Dust & Splash proof Magnesium Alloy Body

Dimensions: 5.65" x 4.35" x 2.8"

Weight: 755 g (with battery)

Single SD card slot

Mono audio

No RAW video output via HDMI

Viewfinder: 97% coverage and 0.71x magnification

$2,099 introductory price

December 2012 release date

Interesting to me that canon would make 18, 20, 21, and 22 MP full frame sensors without re-using any of them....sadly I think this probably means more recycled 5yr-old sensor technology like 5DM3 but hopefully I am incorrect.

IMO this would be successful around $1499-$1699, not $2100 assuming above specs are correct. Price may drop fairly quickly after announcement...
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2012 at 08:43 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

With only a single SD slot, I wonder if the 6D will have the same speed issues as the 5D mk III. I've noticed a huge difference depending on the card I am using.

Official announcement has been made, above specs are correct except it is 1/4000, not 1/8000 max shutter and no touchscreen (that is good, IMO).

No LCD overlay on the VF like the 5Dm2.

Also flash sync speed is only 1/180.

No AF illuminator

Looks a little light on external control as well...I assumed because of the touch screen, but it turns out not to have one.

Also I was surprised to see no support for EF-S lenses, which IMO helps in bringing people out of the APS-C sensor world because they don't need to buy new glass
    all at once.

Wifi and GPS are cool built-in features though.

Price $2099 still.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.

My Ride
    R50

I like the digic5+ and the higher iso performance from it. But it feels like a 5d2 facelift, a couple of new perks that doesn't really make a difference. I see it slots well with the lineup on the business end while they phase out the mark ii. But as a consumer, it doesn't have near the bang for the buck like the D600. Unlike Nikon, this brings nothing new to the table. A 5D Mark ii.5 at best.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Also I was surprised to see no support for EF-S lenses, which IMO helps in bringing people out of the APS-C sensor world because they don't need to buy new glass
    all at once.
    That is because it is impossible. The EF-S lenses protrude into the camera more and the back of the lense would touch the mirror.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Hopefully not too many Canon bits and pieces will be affected by the China-Japan turmoil:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-protests?lite

I think most of Canon's higher end stuff is marked Made in Japan, but who knows what bits and bobs came from which factory where.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Also flash sync speed is only 1/180.

No AF illuminator

Looks a little light on external control as well...I assumed because of the touch screen, but it turns out not to have one.

all at once.
    All this is pretty status quo on Canon bodies. The amount external control looks about the same as any mid-level body I've used And like benyl said, you can't use EF-S lenses on FF bodies cause the mirror will hit the rear element.

If this has pretty usable ISO 6400 and a decent autofocus, I may have to rethink getting a pair of D600's after all. Good thing I didn't buy any Nikon lenses over the weekend

I don't like the single SD slot, but I also don't like the idea of paying $3700 for the 5D3.

Good point on the EF-S lens thing - I had forgot about why they don't do that.

I was really surprised to see the lack of a flash though, being such an entry level body - if for no other reason than to control off camera flashes (the only thing I've ever used my on camera flash for). Maybe they have plans to slash the price rather quickly, and they still need it to be economic if they do. I had also expected them to use the 7D AF system. Honestly I don't think this thing should be $2099, but might be a hit around ~$1499. 5DM2 is still $1999. My best guess is they want more people paying $3500 for a 5DM3, and wanted to make damn sure the 6D didn't take away many sales.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I was really surprised to see the lack of a flash though, being such an entry level body - if for no other reason than to control off camera flashes (the only thing I've ever used my on camera flash for).
    I don't think Canon's ever done this, unless it's something in the higher level bodies I don't even bother looking into. If they've never done this, then it wouldn't make sense to introduce it on a lower mid-range body. Canon shooters have to buy that stupid transmitter.

And I was wrong about the controls. Looks like they took away Direct Print!

haha

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

How can this be considered and entry level camera? Mitsu, you are off your rocker... haha

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I may have to rethink getting a pair of D600's after all.
    Haha, I saw this article today and was like "Shit, I hope D'z didn't do anything rash over the weekend."

Either way, you're going to have to learn to live without the Direct Print button, though.

(For reals though, I know you wanted a significant AF upgrade from your Mk1s and this may not quite cut it. Too early to tell, though.)

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

wtf is this direct print button? I seriously don't know what it is for? Is it useful? I am guessing not... haha

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Haha, I saw this article today and was like "Shit, I hope D'z didn't do anything rash over the weekend."

Either way, you're going to have to learn to live without the Direct Print button, though.

(For reals though, I know you wanted a significant AF upgrade from your Mk1s and this may not quite cut it. Too early to tell, though.)
    Haha yeah, I was researching Nikon lenses on the weekend already. Even with this new announcement, the D600 still looks like a way better camera for the same amount based on these specs. I'll wait until people have actually used them both.

Originally posted by benyl
    wtf is this direct print button?
    Exactly! I don't think anyone uses it (if they even notice it).

Canon thought people would find being able to hook up their cameras to their printers and printing their pictures with a single button push useful so they kept putting these buttons on all their cameras.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

6D? WTF didn't expect such a camera from Canon.

Don't like how they changed the interface on the rear of the cam... but really, they only deleted the least used buttons that nobody would miss. But I hate how they keep changing the layouts. Sucks for multi-body shooters.

But one spec really stands out for me... AF sensitivity down to -3EV. WTF? That trumps the 5D3, 1DX, D4, and D800.

I might want this camera just for that spec alone.

Originally posted by benyl
    How can this be considered and entry level camera? Mitsu, you are off your rocker... haha
    Haha, well it's all relative I guess. I did not mean entry level like the Rebel XS or Nikon D3200. It just seems to me like they put the bare minimum in the camera for people to still probably buy it (entry-level strategy), and then they priced it the same as the D600 which has better specs in basically every single category. I do not think this is a $2100 camera, I think it is a $1500 camera. 11pt AF, 1/180 flash sync (worse than some $300 DSLRs), 100k shutter life, sub-par viewfinder - these are all things found on entry level cameras. Also, I will bet anything that they are still recycling 5+ year old sensor technology, DR sucks like on the 5D3, and they underrate their ISO values like the 1DX (all manufacturers are guilty of that last point though, to some degree).

I think they should have used the 7D AF system, added a flash, and increased the FPS to 5 or more, if for no other reason than marketing. Then at least they could have checked the big boxes for a lot of buyers (AF, Megapixels, FPS). 11pt AF with 1 cross point is pretty weak, even if the center is very good. A lot of people not in the know just look at numbers when buying.

The alloy build, environmental sealing, WiFi and GPS are nice additions, but those don't help people make better photos.

If this is what the D600 ended up being, the Nikon camp would be having a shit right now.

I think the price of this camera will drop quickly, along with the 5D3, which is good news for Canon shooters who haven't taken the plunge yet. The D600 is simultaneously competing with both these cameras, as a much better alternative to the 6D, and 95% of a 5D3, even better in some areas, for $1500 less.

I think DPreview summed it up nicely in their summary of their hands-on preview:

Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-18-2012 at 12:15 AM.

6D will be $2079.63 at TCS for anyone interested, available for pre-order now.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

God if only we didn't have Canon lenses.. ><

Price drop on the 5D II kit and body
    1799 and 2599

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast