Quantcast
Canon t5i issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Canon t5i issues

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Default Canon t5i issues

Wife has a canon t5i since new, she is complaining of the pictures not being as sharp as they use to be. It has never been cleaned and it is happening with multiple lens. I’d say she is a beginner photographer and asked me to ask beyond for some tips.

Due for a cleaning?? Send in for repairs?? Where to send if it’s due for anything?? Or just upgrade??

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeeeah... no.

Cameras don't get less sharp if they're "dirty". That's not how it works unless its got something like a giant ball of hair inside of it. Without seeing examples of what she means by not sharp it's hard to say what the problem is, but I'm willing to bet it's lacking the understanding of how to take a photo. Upload some samples so we can point out what she's doing wrong.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ what he said - send a picture with the EXIF info

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

She's had this camera for 6+ years, and the photos have always been sharp. Its just recently they are blurry/grainy.
    Thanks

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 10.48.37 AM.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  51.4 KB

My Ride
    rally pig

any example of said blurry shots?

is she using manual focus or auto focus?

have her use only center AF and try to take a picture of a center subject

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She's had this camera for 6+ years, and the photos have always been sharp. Its just recently they are blurry/grainy.
    Thanks

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 10.48.37 AM.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  51.4 KB
    Once my dad complained about photos not being as "sharp" or "clear" as they used to and even took his camera in and they said it was fine.

Turns out my dad had bad eyesight.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

All done on autofocus.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All done on autofocus.
    Not nearly enough light and shooting at ISO 2000? That is going to introduce noise.

My Ride
    rally pig

is she shooting in Manual or T mode?
    I noticed in the exif that shutter speed is always 1/80".
    If the lens has no IS and she has shaky hands then it could potentially soften the image.

Have her try to have it 1/125 or faster

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I’ll pass the tips along thanks. She feels it’s a issue with the camera as she thinks the pictures use to be better. Maybe she hasn’t taken her time to set the camera up properly.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

As a general rule, one doesn't typically shoot 1/(focal length), unless you have very steady hands or image stabilization on the lens or body, without introducing motion into the picture which can often be misinterpreted as softness.

Your wife is shooting a 50mm on a 1.6 crop body, which works out to be about the same as an 80mm angle of view in full frame equivalent.
    Her shutter speed is 1/80".
    She's at that limit where that motion is going to be a problem.

Like taemo said, have her try a faster shutter speed.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

She shoots In P mode mostly. She says the pictures are the same no matter the lens as well. I’m sure the settings can be tweaked to make better pictures but it’s just weird that they were good and now aren’t.

Battery failing??

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

No - user error. Probably changed a setting without realizing it. On most camera one click of a thumbwheel is all it takes.

Try in full auto mode again - or perhaps do a factory reset of the settings.

Until the user has figured and maxed out the features on an advanced POS camera - its not a bad idea to stay away from DSLRs.
    I ran into this with a Canon POS camera - poor night shots even on a tripod - I then moved up to a Sony RX100 POS that I am still figuring out!

With the quality of images that the POS takes, plus portability, I highly doubt I ever will get a DSLR.
    Last edited by revelations; 09-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Factory reset has been complete. She went to the store for help and they did it there.

I’m happy with my phone taking pictures but shes into the camera and taking pictures, she’s not at the level of some of the guys on here which is why she asked me for their advice.

It's very easy to test the AF system - you can do this in like 5 minutes and it will tell you right away if something is wrong with the camera or lens:

1) Put the Camera on a tripod and point it at a good AF target. Use Av mode or whatever you want, just make sure the settings for both photos are identical and the shutter speed is high enough to avoid any vibration blur.
    2) Take a picture with the normal (viewfinder) autofocus
    3) Unfocus the lens and then take another picture with live view (the rear screen), letting it AF again of course
    4) Compare both photos - if they aren't the same sharpness, either the camera AF is off or the lens calibration is off. If the live view photo is sharp and the viewfinder focused photo is not, the PDAF or lens calibration is the issue. If something is off, there is more investigating to do. If both photos are sharp, any issues you are having outside of this controlled test are not the camera or lens' fault.

Also grab a rocket blower or similar (not compressed air) and blow out the AF sensors. Most of the time when people complain about unexplained AF inaccuracies that appeared out of nowhere, there is a dust or debris on the AF sensors. These are under (not behind) the mirror in the bottom of the camera. Puff them out gently with air.

As for the grainy images, that is nothing that came out of nowhere - definitely a settings issue or user error. I can only see one example above, but that photo is very underexposed except for the top left of the child's face, so the shadow areas will look grainy if you pixel peep it ESPECIALLY at ISO 2000, which is pretty high for the T5i even with a good exposure. With a poor exposure, ISO 2000 is going to look brutal. If she wants to take images in low light with that camera and the slow kit lens, especially of a moving child, she is going to be disappointed all day long.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-24-2018 at 08:53 AM.