Quantcast
Latest Canon Announcements - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Canon Announcements

Originally posted by clem24

We're basically saying the same thing.

Personally, I think APS-C makes EVIL cams pointless. Well I suppose not totally, but if you think about the size of glass required, then it totally defeats one of the reasons for carrying around an EVIL cam. It's just fascinating how you like to tote around the S95 when just about any EVIL cam kicks its ass any day of the week.
    Well that is exactly why I'm looking for a S95 replacement. The S95 is my P&S of choice because I can take it underwater without buying a $1000 enclosure, and for the rare occasion I actually want to use a P&S haha. It's an amazing little camera for what it is. For hiking and anything else I do where it isn't convenient to take my DSLR, I would rather use a high performance small camera, instead of the S95. Currently I carry my D300 most of the time hiking, and as long as I just have 1 lens its OK.

I don't need APS-C, necessarily, but the current sensors in the smaller m43 stuff are pretty weak in the ISO & DR departments. If they updated those sensors I'd be happy with that size, I'm sure. With my S95 I can't print big (I Like to print up to 24X36 or 20X40), and even with RAW, there isn't as much DR to work with if I need to salvage a shot. The bigger the sensor I can get, the easier both of those issues become.

If I could get a G1X under $500 I think I'd just buy that, use it exclusively for hiking, and call it a day. The cost savings would make up for my lack of phase detect AF, underwater enclosures would be affordable, and I get a huge sensor. I'd RATHER have a camera I could use anywhere though, but for that I want phase detect AF or I'm not going to bother with the extra bulk of interchangeable lenses. If the EOS-M had any external control, and if the 22mm were stabilized, I'd probably have one pre-ordered already.

I completely realize I'm very hard to please haha. The most likely scenario is a D800E, and just dealing with the weight while hiking, but it'll be a while before I can justify that expense.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I have read some reviews on the preproduction cameras and they have said the af is accurate, but slow. The touch screens are great when on a camera like the gx1 and omd, because when added to all the manual controls it's even better. When in manual mode I can change settings just as fast on my gf1 as my canon DSLR. One thumb wheel for shutter and aperture works fine for me, it isn't hard to click the wheel to change between the two.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Maybe you meant you wouldn't buy anything with JUST a touchscreen? The GX1's touchscreen is friggin' awesome. Basically infinite focus points, and the touchscreen shutter means my rate of in focus shots has increased significantly.

By far the best feature of the camera. It's like having AWD and winter tires in the snow haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

We're basically saying the same thing.

Personally, I think APS-C makes EVIL cams pointless. Well I suppose not totally, but if you think about the size of glass required, then it totally defeats one of the reasons for carrying around an EVIL cam. It's just fascinating how you like to tote around the S95 when just about any EVIL cam kicks its ass any day of the week.
    Agreed (the APS-C part)

I think m4/3 is the perfect EVIL sensor size. I mean, my 25mm F/0.95 is freakin TINY! And the 7-14 is pretty much the size of the canon 18-55 kit lens. Comparing it to the Nikon 14-24 is a joke, the nikon is SO FREAKIN HUGE and awkwardly shaped that it was impractical for me to use, and I'm a wide angle whore.

I find APS-C is the perfect sensor size for portraits and event shooting. Just enough DOF using primes wide open. On FF, shooting at F/1.2 is kinda irritating because there's too much fricken blur everywhere. Using lenses fully wide open always have a special character to it's images. As soon as you stop down the character changes. APS-C gives me that beautiful character with just the right DOF.

And I use FF in commercial shooting for pure detail and enlargement capability, and best compatibility with tilt-shifts for architectural work.

So yeah, I totally think M4/3 has hit the sweet spot when it comes to EVIL cameras. Perfect balance of size and image quality IMO. The reason modern lenses are larger than classic M mounts is due to autofocus and stabilizers.

Originally posted by kvg
    I have read some reviews on the preproduction cameras and they have said the af is accurate, but slow. The touch screens are great when on a camera like the gx1 and omd, because when added to all the manual controls it's even better. When in manual mode I can change settings just as fast on my gf1 as my canon DSLR. One thumb wheel for shutter and aperture works fine for me, it isn't hard to click the wheel to change between the two.
    I've been reading much the same...slow AF and you only get phase detect AF with the center point (Nikon V1 has 73, for comparison).

It seems like it would be so easy to design the perfect mirroless camera but nobody does it lol.

Some markets are getting the flash for free though, which is a cool perk. Body + lens + flash for $799 seems not too bad.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Sounds like a fair price, but I won't buy a evil cam without a built in flash. I have an flash but that's one of the main reasons I didn't get the omd, and I hope the next gen Fiji and Olympus have one even a little one like the x100 will do.

Originally posted by kvg
    Sounds like a fair price, but I won't buy a evil cam without a built in flash. I have an flash but that's one of the main reasons I didn't get the omd, and I hope the next gen Fiji and Olympus have one even a little one like the x100 will do.
    Yeah I agree with that.

I see people go out and buy an EVIL camera, then pick up a flash, 4 lenses, and some accessories on top of that haha. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

They need to start putting EVIL internals in high end P&S cameras like the G1X, I think that would make a much more interesting camera as those lenses are always so nice and compact. AF and continuous shooting speed in P&S cameras has always been their downfall, but it seems like it would be so easy to make them faster borrowing from what else is out there already.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Yeah, for sure. I need my mirrorless to stay small. The Panasonic 14-42 pancake zoom seems real nice.
    Currently waiting for a fast high grade weather sealed pancake of some sort for the m4/3, then I'd get a corresponding body like the OM-D EM-5. Weather sealing isn't a deal breaker for me, but would make the decision a no-brainer.
    If this Canon unit feels nice in the hand and not too big, it might be worth considering for me, that APS-C sensor would be nice (my main DSLR only has a 4/3's sized sensor). I've looked into the V1 and J1, but it wasn't that much smaller and I missed the grip on my E-PL1 and the lack of buttons and dials really sucks. At least give me a PASM dial or something.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Yeah I agree with that.

I see people go out and buy an EVIL camera, then pick up a flash, 4 lenses, and some accessories on top of that haha. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.
    I have a bunch of lenses, flash, evf, etc, but I like the fact I just throw on the 14 or 20 pancake and I'm good to go . FF vs aps-c vs m43 vs film vs PS vs big vs small auto vs manual are lame I think because even cell phones can take decent pictures, but it's just a matter of preferance in the end. I think the everyone wants to convince others that their choice is the best compromise, because they don't want to be wrong. I'm lazy and DSLR's might have better IQ, but I don't use it anywhere as much because I can't throw it in my pocket.

Originally posted by kvg

I have a bunch of lenses, flash, evf, etc, but I like the fact I just throw on the 14 or 20 pancake and I'm good to go . FF vs aps-c vs m43 vs film vs PS vs big vs small auto vs manual are lame I think because even cell phones can take decent pictures, but it's just a matter of preferance in the end. I think the everyone wants to convince others that their choice is the best compromise, because they don't want to be wrong. I'm lazy and DSLR's might have better IQ, but I don't use it anywhere as much because I can't throw it in my pocket.
    Haha yeah part of my problem is I want too much, and there has to be some compromise somewhere. I want a small light camera with a huge sensor I can hike with for hours, get pictures of stuff, and come home and print them huge. The closest thing to that is probably a Sony NEX-7, or to suck it up and just take a DSLR.

I think that's why I was attracted to the G1X...if I could do without my beloved phase detect AF, which isn`t important for landscape, then it would still be a light camera that I can print big with. I could also get away with a pocket tripod.

I think what's going to happen is I'll just buy a D800E when I can, and deal with the weight haha. Then I get the best of everything (except weight).

If I see the G1X dip below $500 I'd probably pick one of those up, too. My biggest complaint there is the lens is f5.8 on the long end, which requires you to push it's ISO capabilities to make up for depending on what you're doing.

A more "professional" version of this EOS-M would interest me as well, with some external control and better AF.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-23-2012 at 11:03 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Pfff, the D800 is my "lightweight" and "compact" camera now. Just get a comfortable backpack

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I want a ff rangefinder with small lenses all pancakes and AF! Someone please hook me up.

PS please add in body stabilization.

My Ride
    rally pig

^closest thing is the NEX series with peaking mode and M-mount lens on but the EVF is terrible and I like a real VF instead of looking on the back screen.

or an X100 and focus range

but they are all APS-C

otherwise go Leica M8 but they are no FF.

My Ride
    W204

I threw my 90mm f/2 Summicron on my GX1 to take to the zoo over the weekend. Manual focusing isn't really a huge issue on the cam, but CAs were quite bad. Not sure what the reason is, but then again, Panasonic corrects for CAs in its own lenses. Getting a perfectly sharp pic was tough too without stabilization. I must say, it was definitely a lot of fun going back to basics (and with no film to waste)! Sometimes we think too much of getting that perfect shot, and forgetting about the true essence of photography and just having fun. Anyway back on topic.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I have a blast throwing on legacy lenses. My favorite was a old m42 55 1.4 Mamaya lens. Old lenses have different color, bokeh, and personalities. If anyone gets a non eBay lead on one of those lenses let me know!

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by kvg
    I have a blast throwing on legacy lenses. My favorite was a old m42 55 1.4 Mamaya lens. Old lenses have different color, bokeh, and personalities. If anyone gets a non eBay lead on one of those lenses let me know!
    Yeah I got bunch of M lenses but they're not exactly practical; the widest of the bunch is the 35mm which becomes a 70 hahaha. It's funny that I have these lens which are worth at least 10x more than the body.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by kvg
    My favorite was a old m42 55 1.4 Mamaya lens.
    Do you have any M42 lenses? If so, I have a set of M42 extension tubes you can have for free. I can't seem to get rid of these!

Originally posted by kvg
    anything here? http://www.vintagevisuals.com/

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

A more "professional" version of this EOS-M would interest me as well, with some external control and better AF.
    i think most ppl may be content with that sensor + digic V's ISO results on a mirrorless camera. i haven't compared 100% crop of high iso performance between something like the em5 vs t4i tho what's really dissapointing is the initial impressions of slow af even with the efm 22mm/18-55. makes it easier to hold onto the wallet i guess, unless they fix it by october.
    Last edited by dragonone; 07-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Yeah I got bunch of M lenses but they're not exactly practical; the widest of the bunch is the 35mm which becomes a 70 hahaha. It's funny that I have these lens which are worth at least 10x more than the body.
    I wish I had some of those, maybe after I buy a new body. Have you ever looked at the Voigtländer m43 0.95 glass?

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Do you have any M42 lenses? If so, I have a set of M42 extension tubes you can have for free. I can't seem to get rid of these!
    Sure D , I have a m42 slr and an adapter for my GF I also have a minolta adapter and lenses I play with, next is ?

Originally posted by dragonone

anything here?

I'll check it out

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by dragonone

anything here? http://www.vintagevisuals.com/

Tim is a great guy, very knowledgeable.
    kelly, fyi vintagevisuals doesn't have a store, you just order the stuff via phone or email

Another vintage camera store worth checking out is Photo World at 501 Cleveland Cres SE, Calgary, AB T2G 4R8.
    he doesn't have a website but has a store

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast