Quantcast
Latest Canon Announcements - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Canon Announcements

All official now, no surprises, price or otherwise:

EOS M3: Europe/Asia only (No plans for North America)

11-24/4: $2999 USD February Availability

5DS: $3699 USD June Availability

5DR: $3899 USD June Availability

Canadian pricing $4,099 and $4,299 for the 5DS/R and $3,699 for the 11-24.

- 1080/30P max on the 5DS/R, 8bit 4:0:0, no zebras, no clean HDMI out (basically 5DM2 video spec....)
    - No dual pixel AF
    - 5 FPS (No increase with crop modes)
    - Max native ISO 6400 (5DM3 max native is 25,600). Don't expect a high ISO champ. DPR interview with Canon says DR is same as 5DM3 - extremely disappointing if true for many people looking forward to this cam. Same 2007 500nm sensor tech.
    - CF & SD slots
    - Same AF as 5DM3
    - APS-H and APS-C Crops modes
    - 1/200 max sync

Initial forum response seems to be kind of ho-hum. It's the same or worse than a 5DM3 in every way except all out megapixels.

Curious to see if they finally added spot metering at any AF point.

Canon Samples (nothing above ISO 400):
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...dsr/index.html

T6S/T6i have the standard Rebel updates (24MP, WiFii, 5FPS, 19 pt AF, 1080/30P). T6i adds a top LCD.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-05-2015 at 11:46 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

I don't keep up with the latest digital gears anymore but 50MP sounds great but any info regarding the sensor?

Originally posted by taemo
    I don't keep up with the latest digital gears anymore but 50MP sounds great but any info regarding the sensor?
    Canon has confirmed same DR as the 5DM3 (worse than 6D), and ISO performance "about the same as 7DM2", maxing out at 6400 native. Sensor tech is the 500nm fabrication and off-chip A/D conversion from 2007. So, if all you care about is MP, this is an option. Canon forums are not a happy place right now.

My Ride
    Hatred

No dual pixel AF is a big mistake. Not sure why they'd release that tech in the crops and not bother to bring it into the FF bodies.
    -U

Originally posted by Unknown303
    No dual pixel AF is a big mistake. Not sure why they'd release that tech in the crops and not bother to bring it into the FF bodies.
    It is quite strange release in many ways. The need for an AA filter with 50MP is rather trivial as well, but I guess it's never bad to have the option. The ISO 800 sample from Canon does not look good. Not that I think anyone is buying this for a video camera, but video capabilities are from 2009.

Also I believe the sensor is taking a full read even in crop modes, and cropping afterward, which is why there is no FPS increase in 1.3 and 1.6 crop.

It's just kind of a weird release, as if Canon hasn't been watching the competition or listening to feedback. It's a step backward in nearly every area except all out MP.

My Ride
    a car

It is sad that canon really hasn't improved the dynamic range of their sensors in 5 years.

IT also blows my mind how both canon and nikon post so many bad sample photos.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

so get a 6D unless you want more MP.... gotcha

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

People bitched and complained about the 5D MKIII not being enough over the MKII. It still sold like hotcakes for a higher price than the MKII.

It doesn't matter what canon does, people will bitch. Same with Apple, samsung, etc. No one is ever happy with anything even if it meets all expectations.

The cycle continues, this camera will sell with the wedding and landscape photographers.

The 5D MKIV will address some of the issues, but it still won't be revolutionary. It is how Canon always works and I honestly don't know why this surprises people.

I see it as more a niche camera serving studio shooters who can control the light. Poor ISO performance by today's standards and enormous file sizes aren't typically things wedding photographers are after. The sole thing it has going for it is MP, everything else is a step sideways or backward. They are more likely to pick up 1DX's or 5DM4's.

The MP increase is of minimal benefit to prints as well. At 300dpi, it's a 4" larger print on the long dimension than you could make with 36MP. I'm perfectly happy with cameras staying in the 24-36MP range, but clearly that isn't going to happen haha.

IMHO this would be far more well received as an all-round camera, with incremental FPS increases in crop mode, sensor tech not from 2008, up-to-date video specs, pro build quality, updated AF system, etc. Never have I seen such a backlash on the forums from any announcement.

I don't think it will sell like hotcakes when the 5DM4 (their volume body) is due this Summer. Seems like most people are waiting for that, or for 5DM3 prices to drop.

I also don't think anyone is surprised by this announcement, to your point, but that doesn't mean people aren't noticing that the grass has been quite a bit greener on the other side for the past several years in the sensor department. The reason everyone is so upset is because they are comparing it to other brands.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

...Canon forums are not a happy place right now.
    LOL you say this without fail with every higher end canon camera release.

Yes, there are always a couple whiners, but it's hardly the hostile environment you make it out to be. Most of the people I know who are professionals making real money in photography are fine with the incremental updates. Actually, I haven't seen professionals excited about anything more than the 1DX announcement. Colleagues were doing backflips over it. I know of MANY people who left Nikon for the 1DX. But you also said people were super pissed as hell about it LOL. It was a VERY small minority who whined about AF at certain fstops. I have one and it's just a tool in the toolbox, nothing exciting.

The new 5D series will be absolutely LOVED by the people who will actually use it. I might even get the R for my architectural gigs. The few people bitching on forums are people who will never buy it anyhow.

I find very few cameras interesting or worth discussing, but I mostly don't care anymore due to sheer boredom of the camera industry. All the exciting stuff is happening with mobile photography and mirrorless.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by AccentAE86
    LOL you say this without fail with every higher end canon camera release.
    That's not 100% true.

He also says it about the low and mid-end canon camera releases

1DX II Announced, here are the official specs:

$5999 USD / $7999 CAD

Fastest shooting EOS-1D, capable of up to 14 fps* full-resolution RAW or JPEG, and up to 16 fps* in Live View mode with new Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors. *Continuous shooting speed may vary depending on the shutter speed, the aperture, the lens being used, the battery charge and various camera settings.

Achieves a maximum burst rate of up to 170 RAWs in continuous shooting at up to 16 fps, and 4K movies using CFast™ cards in the new CFast 2.0™** slot. (Only the CFast slot gets the buffer increase, buffer is greatly reduced to 72 RAWs when using the other slot or when using the second card for backup)

Experience less noise in higher ISO images via a new 20.2 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, with an ISO range of 100–51200; expansion to ISO 409600.

Improved AF performance through 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system with 41 cross-type points, improved center point focusing sensitivity to -3 EV and compatibility down to f/8***. * Except when using the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM and EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4L USM lenses.

** AF at F8 only with the latest III TC's
    *** Center point AF at -3.0 EV is in single shot mode only (-2.0 with AI Servo).

Accurate subject tracking for stills and video with new EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF with 360,000-pixel metering sensor.
    4K video (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps (59.94), with an 8.8-Megapixel still frame grab**** in camera. Full 1080p HD capture up to 120 fps for slow motion. 8 bit 4:2:2 no log, no focus peaking, no zebras. Motion JPEG only, DCI 4K aspect. No 4K over HDMI (1080P only).

Dual Pixel CMOS AF & Movie Servo AF for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting.
    View and control high quality stills and videos via the 3.2-inch touch panel LCD with 1.62 million dots.

Increased resolution and fine detail, with lens aberration correction and diffraction correction via new in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer technology.

Built-in GPS***** provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code via satellites.

The new optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A is compatible with IEEE 802.11ac/n/a/g/b, supporting both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi® bands.

Durable and rugged magnesium alloy body with dust- and-weather resistance for demanding shooting situations.

Battery life: 1200 shots

New dual layer metering sensor

On chip A/D conversion

Dual pixel AF (works continuously in movie mode, single shot only for still)

New battery (old batteries still work but with reduced maximum frame rates)

What’s in the box:
    EOS-1D X Mark II Camera Body
    Battery Pack LP-E19
    Battery Charger LC-E19
    Wide Strap
    Eyecup Eg (Not shown)
    Cable Protector
    Interface Cable IFC-150U II
    EOS Digital Solution Disk (Not shown)
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-02-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Canon 80D up next, announcement will be soon:

New 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor.
    Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    Image processing engine DIGIC6
    Regular sensitivity ISO100-16000 (extension 25600)
    7560 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
    AF 45 points (all points cross type). AF distance measuring point of maximum 27 points F8. No iTR. F8 AF only with latest "III" Teleconverters.
    -3EV AF (Single shot mode only like the 1DX II, -2.0EV at the center in AI Servo)
    Single SD card slot
    Four of the AF area selection modes, including a new “L zone AF”
    Continuous shooting 7 frames / sec. 3 frames / second at the silent continuous shooting mode
    Buffer: 77 JPEG, 20 RAW
    Continuous shooting in live view mode 5 frames / sec. (AF tracking)
    New mirror vibration control system to keep the mirror shock (MVCS)
    Finder is 100% field of view, magnification 0.95 times
    Shutter 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro 1/250 sec
    3 inches 1.04 million dot Vari-angle LCD monitor
    Built-in flash (guide number 12)
    Electronic Level
    A new Picture Style “fine detail”
    10 kinds of scene mode
    Anti-flicker
    Video is full HD 60fps. AF tracking. No C-log, focus peaking, zebras, or HDMI out.
    HDR movie
    Time-lapse movie
    Five types of movies Creative Filters
    Wi-Fi, NFC. Remote shooting
    Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I compatible)
    Durability of the shutter is 100,000 times
    USB terminal, HDMI terminal, microphone jack, headphone jack, remote control terminal
    Improved dust and water
    The battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
    Start-up time is 0.16 seconds
    EF-S18-135mm F3.5-5.6 enables remote shooting using the power zoom function in combination with IS USM and the power zoom adapter PZ-E1
    The size of 139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5mm
    Weight 730g (650g body only)

Curiously priced at $1199 USD, the exact same price as a 7DMKII + printer + bag + memory card + printer paper.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-18-2016 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride

Yes remote hooting. Finally those owl pics lol

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

lol
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride

No 4K, but F8 autofocus

That power zoom is sexy though :O
    Last edited by Wakalimasu; 02-18-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Originally posted by Wakalimasu

No 4K, but F8 autofocus

That power zoom is sexy though :O
    One caveat to note is that the F8 AF only works if you have the latest "III" Teleconverters, and does not work at all with the 300/4 or 70-200/4 (same as 1DX2 in that regard). I think it's more for the exotic primes.

Rebel T6 announced today:

Identical to the Rebel T5 other than Digic 4+, WiFi, NFC, better rear LCD, one extra WB mode, and a "food" scene mode.

18.0 Megapixel Canon CMOS (APS-C) image sensor and high-performance DIGIC 4+ Image Processor for excellent image quality and speedy operation.

ISO 100–6400 (expandable to H: 12800) for shooting from bright light to low light.
    Built-in Wi-Fi® and NFC connectivity* for easy sharing to smart devices, social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.

9‐point AF system (including one center cross‐type AF point) and AI Servo AF provide impressive autofocus performance with accurate results.

High-performance Optical Viewfinder helps facilitate quick and accurate focusing by firmly framing and capturing the subject at hand.

Large, 3.0-inch LCD monitor with 920,000 dots for easy viewing and reviewing.

Full HD video mode for high quality, easy-to-use video capture.

$549 USD

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    a "food" scene mode.
    wut

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

wut
    The scene modes are out of control on the entry level cameras. There are also "blossom" and "pet portrait" modes on some cameras. As sad as it is, most of them have "food" mode already

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast