Quantcast
Cool video on "steady growth".... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cool video on "steady growth"....

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Cool video on "steady growth"....

Great video.. But Im not sure what to do about it. Most will ignore it.. no, most won't even watch it, and of those who do - most will ignore it.

Fact is, our lives are gonna change, present living can't be sustained. More and more I want to prepare for a simpler life. I came from not much, got a good job and make a good living.. But for what? I see it already the more I make the more I spend.. and the more the world gets off kilter. All the while we're told, SAVE MORE! YOU'LL NEED XXXXXXXX FOR RETIREMENT!

I'm going to be ready, I'll go back to my farm, live a simple life, have what I need to eat and take care of my own.. I've always been of the feeling that our retirement days won't be spent living off RRSP's and savings, and driving to florida/arizona for the winter... It will be spent worrying about food and security.

good luck all

...and gall bladder surgery does cost $25000 in the US now.

My Ride
    You Crazy

LOL..... yup.

The guy is very good. In all of my 12 year University career, I had only 3 or 4 profs with the clarity and logic of this guy.

Can't say I agree with all his conclusions, but its very interesting.

A must watch as far as I am concerned.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

A page with a lot of good info and points on population growth:
    http://knowledge.allianz.com/demogra...lation_growth/

I'm not sure where I stand on the whole thing, haven't done enough research.

I'm just on the first half of the video, but he relies a lot upon number calculations, and while I appreciate the objective calculations I really hesitate to take a simple math equation and use it to predict the future. So many variables and so many things not taken into account when you have such a simple calculation.

World population is almost 7 billion right now, the page above predicts it to be only 9 billion by 2050, mostly due to growth in asia.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 02-21-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    You Crazy

The whole mindest of "growth" is what western economy is based on.

Watch stock markets, company valuations etc...if expectations of GROWTH decline (ie, not profitability, or even a loss position, but simple growth rate), the company stock can be decimated.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by broken_legs
    http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

eDIT:

Will try to find the link, but there have been massive speeches and apers written by the military in the US back in the 40's that explain exactly this.

Given that the government has known this for 70 years, look at what the governments around the world do and say through that lens and suddenly everything makes a lot more sense.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by broken_legs
    http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse
    I've watched most of these, great info. I'll have watch the video you posted later, Toma. I'm on peasant internet out here...ha.

I started a thread awhile ago about our sustainability as a planet. We're fucked, and that was decades ago.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I've seen this video years ago and he's still bang on.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

The man is spot on a lot of things.

Sustainability will eventually have to be achieved. Canadian level gas prices that the US will probably have to endure soon - say $5 to $5.50 per gallon will force reality back upon the masses.

At European levels of $9+ per gallon the US will have no choice but to change their model of consuming their way to prosperity. Racing your jet fighter for sport on the weekends just isn't going to happen.

I also assume that the general wage of a worker in the US will decrease over the next decade, in real terms adjusted against the monetary base.

Peak gold in 1933, peak silver in 1967, peak oil in 1970, peak nickel since 1981, peak copper since 1996.

Peak freshwater will be the important one. Hopefully by then someone will have figured out a better way to desalinize.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Great video.. But I'm not sure what to do about it. Most will ignore it.. no, most won't even watch it, and of those who do - most will ignore it.

Fact is, our lives are gonna change, present living can't be sustained. More and more I want to prepare for a simpler life. I came from not much, got a good job and make a good living.. But for what? I see it already the more I make the more I spend.. and the more the world gets off kilter. All the while we're told, SAVE MORE! YOU'LL NEED XXXXXXXX FOR RETIREMENT!

I'm going to be ready, I'll go back to my farm, live a simple life, have what I need to eat and take care of my own.. I've always been of the feeling that our retirement days won't be spent living off RRSPs and savings, and driving to florida/arizona for the winter... It will be spent worrying about food and security.

good luck all
    This.

CPP was designed in the mid 60's in which most would die before, or soon after CPP payments. That's not the case now, so our kids will work to support the feeble.

Population growth will destroy us. It's interesting to note that the most impoverished and ignorant are the ones who contribute to such.

One example:

The average Ugandan female will produce 8 offspring.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Seth1968

This.

CPP was designed in the mid 60's in which most would die before, or soon after CPP payments. That's not the case now, so our kids will work to support the feeble.

Population growth will destroy us. It's interesting to note that the most impoverished and ignorant are the ones who contribute to such.

One example:

The average Ugandan female will produce 8 offspring.
    obviously didn't watch the video.....

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

I started watching this a few months back but for some reason never finished. Very interesting stuff.

If anything we need africa in order to consume more. We need certain minerals for our cell phones we replace every year or two.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Thank you for the video, very interesting and gave me a better understanding of a the issues of growth and Western Economic model.

I've always felt Canada is on the wrong path with its constant demand for population growth. We should be pleased we are not populated to the point places like Asian, Europe and the USA are.

We can keep up this population growth but low population density and large land mass does not mean we can support the most life (Think about how much of this nation is nothing but arctic wasteland). Look at Australia it has the lowest population density in the world and a low population in terms of developed nations, yet they are experiencing serious water shortages.

My Ride
    You Crazy

in light of recent discussions.... a bump