Quantcast
What part of Maui to stay in? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What part of Maui to stay in?

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by msommers
    Kihei is definitely the place to be. Good location, plenty of beaches close by and less expensive than the places further south. As for specific places, I can't comment.

Lemme know if you have any Maui questions, be happy to help.
    since there's less activities to do in Maui than Oahu, I'm pretty stocked about on hiking and chasing the light for pictures.
    we will be doing zip-line and snorkel for my gf but in exchange we will be hiking most of the time.
    So far I've planned
    -sunrise at Mt Haleakala
    -road to Hanna, Sacred Pools
    -Pipiwi Trails/Waimoku Falls sunset

I don't know how many days should I dedicate for east side Maui, as I pretty much want to capture sunrise or sunset on most places.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

For snorkelling, definitely check out Ulua Beach and Makena Landing.

FYI, you don't need an SUV/4x4 at all for the road to Hana, it's completely paved. However, if you go the way I'm going to suggest, I would recommend one just in case some areas are washed out from rain.

I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend going counter clockwise and doing the full circle to Hana. The travel is so much better. There is an area on the map where the rental companies don't want you to go but it's fine. If you really want a driving adventure, take the north shore road between Lahaina and Wailuku (hwy 340). This is what I expected the RtH to be like after all the horror stories you read. It's total crazyness but a lot of fun, well after looking back!

Pipiwai Trail at sunset could be interesting but definitely bring a flashlight at bare minimum. The hiking isn't hard, there are two very small creek crossings closer to the falls, but the boardwalks can get pretty slick and some areas of the trail quite muddy depending if it's rained a lot or not. Also the creek crossings might be more interesting, again depending on how much rain they have received. Not sure how you guys have planned for this but I might suggest to drive clockwise and stay in Hana one night and continue for the sunset at the falls the next day. Get the Maui Revealed guidebook, it makes the drive around there much better and easier. Make sure to check out the Venus Pool - a must see.

Stop in Paia at the Fish Market Restaurant for dinner for a generous serving of fresh fish

The Haleakala sunrise is awesome. Get there earlier than you'd expect as it gets busy and everyone wants a photo. Others at the hostel suggested to check out the sunset but I never got a chance, some amazing star gazing up there too.

Maui and Kauai were my favorite islands because there is more adventure-type activities to do. Go out and explore, you'll have a blast!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fire Truck

Thanks for the info. I took a last min travel with my wife and sister-in-law, and her bf. I'm here in ka'anapali. I took all your suggestions so far.

The biggest issue is what is possible to do with my wife who is in here 2nd trimester. She is fairly fit as she still walks to work (25 min each way, We live in Banff), She still hikes tunnel mountain although when we at the sunrise at Haleakala she was out of breath due to elevation. The sea level to 9,700 feet drive made her out of breath obviously.

So my question is - Would she be able to do the pipiwi trail (4 miles) as my wife is 5 months pregnant? as long as elevation wasn't an issue. Im not pushing her to do the hiking as I have my Sister-in-laws BF staying at our condo as well. but she really wants to see the best trails without getting overly exhausted. We are here til Sunday then head to the Fairmont Kei Lani for 3 days after that.
    Last edited by SIC1; 06-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Given that your wife is pregnant, I really don't feel comfortable saying yes or no. However if she was not pregnant and given her fitness level as you mention, I would say it would be quite easy. I love hiking and found it more of a long casual walk than a hike. Bring shoes and not flip flops as I saw on a bunch of people. Just a reminder about the creek crossings and rainfall, pregnant or not.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by SIC1
    Thanks for the info. I took a last min travel with my wife and sister-in-law, and her bf. I'm here in ka'anapali. I took all your suggestions so far.

The biggest issue is what is possible to do with my wife who is in here 2nd trimester. She is fairly fit as she still walks to work (25 min each way, We live in Banff), She still hikes tunnel mountain although when we at the sunrise at Haleakala she was out of breath due to elevation. The sea level to 9,700 feet drive made her out of breath obviously.

So my question is - Would she be able to do the pipiwi trail (4 miles) as my wife is 5 months pregnant? as long as elevation wasn't an issue. Im not pushing her to do the hiking as I have my Sister-in-laws BF staying at our condo as well. but she really wants to see the best trails without getting overly exhausted. We are here til Sunday then head to the Fairmont Kei Lani for 3 days after that.
    My Wife was 6 months pregnant when we went, we did all the hikes, she had no issues.

All depends on the individual.

My Ride
    Fire Truck

Originally posted by 89coupe

My Wife was 6 months pregnant when we went, we did all the hikes, she had no issues.

All depends on the individual.
    Perfect. Thanks. We are doing the RTHana, Pipiwi trail etc on Sunday before heading to the Fairmont kei lani. She is pretty fit and even went for a run with me along the beach this morning. The mornings are perfect with the sun showers cooling us off as we got back to the resort.

Any suggestions on day spa.. she wants a Lomi Lomi massage? She works at a spa so quality over quantity. Thanks in advance. Mahalo.
    Last edited by SIC1; 06-21-2012 at 03:44 AM.

I would highly recommend staying in Hana for at least one or two nights. I stayed at the Guest Houses at Malanai for 3 nights and have to say that this was the best 3 nights i've ever had in Hawaii (I've been going to the Hawaiian islands every year for the past 5 years).

http://hanaguesthouses.com/

All of the best sights of the Hana highway are around Hana itself so by staying in Hana you will not be so rushed to see the sights. There is also one of the most amazing beaches there. Hamoa Beach was just ranked as the 5th best beach in the world by National Geographic. The best part of Hamoa Beach is that nobody goes there because everyone is so rushed to to other things. There just pass by as they drive along the road.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...05_600x450.jpg

My recommendation....get away from all the resorts and tourists in Kihei or Kaanapali and stay in Hana where time seems to stop.

My Ride
    has 660 ft. lbs. TQ

Originally posted by taemo
    Bumping this as we have decided to go to Maui this november and right now am looking for places to stay.

I picked Kihei as it's in the center of the island and more quiet

Does anyone recommend a good hotel they stayed in Kihei or a beachfront condo that they stayed in?
    We will be there for 7 nights and looking to spend only around 150$/night
    The best Kihei beaches are at Kamaole 1/2/3. Anything north of Kam 1 the beaches aren't great.

If you're looking for beachfront try Royal Mauian, Kamaole Nalu, Hale Pau Hana, Hale Hui Kai, Kihei Surfside, or Mana Kai.

Based on November being a low season there, you can probably get a condo in one of these buildings under $200/nt. I'm not sure you will find $150 but worth a look, good luck!

We stay in a ground floor 2BD at Royal mauian every year FWIW
    Last edited by bluerush; 06-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.

My Ride
    changes every year

BUMP. possibly planning on going to Maui in June. im not really a fish eater, but it sounds like everywhere that everyone goes, has fish. any recommendations for places that have food other than fish?

probably going to chill and try and learn to surf and maybe find some other things to go look at. is a car needed to do things everywhere? in kehei, where do you guys recommend staying? im no 89coupe and dont want to spend alot on a hotel, but want a nice beach with good food nearby.

anything else anyone would recommend to me? ive never been to hawaii. ive read the thread, but still looking for anything else to solidfy my going.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Star Noodle is a must. Awesome food, their head chef was 3rd overall in Top Chef. Other than that, we mostly ate around Whaler's Village but all the memorable meals had fish.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Edit: damn old thread has me repeating myself

Finally heading back in November, can't wait
    Last edited by finboy; 05-15-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

probably going to chill and try and learn to surf and maybe find some other things to go look at. is a car needed to do things everywhere? in kehei, where do you guys recommend staying? im no 89coupe and dont want to spend alot on a hotel, but want a nice beach with good food nearby.
    You don't NEEEED a car, but you could say the same about Calgary, lol. It's definitely a requirement unless you want to stay in the same spot the whole time.

We always stay at the Kihei Akahi condo's. They aren't glamorous, but they are decent. It's right across the street from Kamaole Beach II, which is a nice little beach to hit first thing in the morning for snorkeling. Walking distance to about a dozen restaurants (from fast food to high end). Plus it's nice having a condo with kitchen. We always cook breakfast and lunch at the condo, and eat out for supper.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    G6

Popping up old thread. I'm heading to Maui pretty soon and staying in Kaanapali. We've got most of the trip nailed down, but details about nightlife are scarce. I figure there's gonna be at least one or two nights where we'll wanna stay out for drinks for a while, and most places seem to close by 10pm... Any suggestions by Kaanapali beach or Lahaina?

Also, can anyone suggest a good surf school/instructor for a day's worth of lessons?

Originally posted by Feruk
    Popping up old thread. I'm heading to Maui pretty soon and staying in Kaanapali. We've got most of the trip nailed down, but details about nightlife are scarce. I figure there's gonna be at least one or two nights where we'll wanna stay out for drinks for a while, and most places seem to close by 10pm... Any suggestions by Kaanapali beach or Lahaina?

Also, can anyone suggest a good surf school/instructor for a day's worth of lessons?
    I went with Maui Wave Riders in Lahaina and had a good time. I believe they have a school in Kihei too, but if you're staying in Kaanapali, might as well take the class in Lahaina. Depending on your fitness level, I'd suggest leaving the surfing till near the end of your trip since your shoulders will likely be dead and in pain for the next day or two afterwards.

As for nightlife, your best bet might be somewhere on Front St, but someone else will probably be able to give better suggestions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3