Quantcast
Ron Howard's F1 Movie - Rush - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Ron Howard's F1 Movie - Rush

My Ride
    Lexus IS

I was searching for this topic. Couldn't find it when I ran search. Thanks for the merge.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Definitely a movie to see in theatres. I got goosebumps every time they fired up the cars!
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by zipdoa
    Definitely a movie to see in theatres. I got goosebumps every time they fired up the cars!
    Same..really enjoyed hearing them firing up

My Ride
    Ram

awesome movie!!!!

My Ride
    Lexus IS

For all the following I did about the movie, I seem to have missed this: It is in fact 'independent' - at least in the sense that it is almost outside of Hollywood's budget structure. Ron Howard still found money of course, geez, how could he not, he's a Hollywood director. But it is still nonetheless a ballsy move. At 40M budget, it is quite modest by today's HOllywood standards. But when someone risks a great deal on his own for it, it's quite a gamble.

More, from the Atlantic's Chris Corr's article's Discussion (Wow, a lot of possessives there).

'Rush' was independently financed because the studios refused to risk funding a non-franchise, mid-budget picture. In other words, this is NOT a "big-studio" Hollywood picture. As Peter Morgan said, it's "a British independent film directed by a Hollywood director." This is not a demonstration of what Hollywood is capable of. It's a demonstration of what a ballsy, passionate auteur can do with a great story.

few commentators are acknowledging this film's financing struggles as a demonstration of Hollywood further drifting away from smart gambles on modestly budgeted non-franchise pictures, even when they're backed by a director-producer combo with such prestige. This film got very close to not getting made. And when recognizing this film's strengths, I feel it is important to contextualize it with regards to the modern Hollywood construct, and why it's important for both critics and movie-goers alike to recognize and support capable auteurs who take risks on great stories that aren't based on "safe bet" intellectual properties.
    Amazing, right? As in, you just don't get this anymore from any mainstream directors. So that said, all the more reason why, if you like this, love F1, and is addicted to motorsports, you should be even more thankful that Ron Howard did this.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There's a reason why it wasn't funded in NA. It's not going to be an epic blockbuster like Apollo 13 was. It's going to make all it's money in EU, not in NA, where F1 has no sex appeal. Unfortunately, the EU market is tiny compared to here. Take a look at the opening weekend numbers in NA. $10m. That's a fail in the eyes of Hollywood, so they made the right call in not backing the film.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

And I'm glad that they didn't. Otherwise you'll have some big shots wanting more explosions, robots, aliens, love stories and what not added, boobies are good, they can keep those.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by lilmira
    And I'm glad that they didn't. Otherwise you'll have some big shots wanting more explosions, robots, aliens, love stories and what not added, boobies are good, they can keep those.
    Still, $38M to make and has only made $25M in 2 weeks. They are lucky to break even on this project.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I finally got to see this last night. Damn good flick! Fast cars, good laughs, beautiful girls. Perfect combo IMO.

V12 Engines

Olivia Wilde, and Natalie Dormer
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Originally posted by Xtrema

Still, $38M to make and has only made $25M in 2 weeks. They are lucky to break even on this project.
    It's now up to $48M worldwide. Hopefully it goes beyond that, it deserves it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=rush2013.htm

My Ride
    Lexus IS

I bought the magazines that had extensive coverage. Did I miss any ones worth buying?

This should tide me over for now - while I wait for the Blu Ray and its filmmaker/cast audio commentaries. Been weeks since I saw it first, and I still have 'residual stoke' - so stoked that this movie got made at all!

My Ride
    Horse

^Nice. I'm trying to buy this poster but can't find it anywhere except for a 6.5x8 inch size.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Tomaz
    I finally got to see this last night. Damn good flick! Fast cars, good laughs, beautiful girls. Perfect combo IMO.

V12 Engines

Olivia Wilde, and Natalie Dormer
    I only know about F1 through the highlights on TSN lol but I loved the movie. Thought it was fantastic!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Nice behind the scenes of Hunt
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Is this still playing anywhere in town? Not sure about cheap theatres beyond Canyon Meadows and Plaza...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3