Quantcast
Need help installing wireless security cam - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help installing wireless security cam

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default Need help installing wireless security cam

Hi guys,

I'm generally pretty well versed when it comes to computers, but I'm pretty useless when it comes to network stuff so maybe someone can help me out...

I recently purchased one of those cheap ebay security cams. It actually works really well - and the IR can even see in the dark. Pretty cool.

The problem is that I cannot access it outside of my network... which kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Firstly, my default gateway is 192.168.1.254. Now, does the last set of numbers for the camera need to be higher than the last set of numbers for the gateway?

The camera setup software put the last set of numbers for the camera at something like "71" or "72". It also automatically set the port at 80 which I found out Telus blocks. So I set the port to 99, and then went into my router software and set up port forwarding for port 99.

However, it is still not accessible for outside my network. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Your IPs of 192.168.1.71 or 72 is fine. Your gateway is fine at .254, no issues there.

Easiest thing to do is to leave the camera on default port 80, and in the router when doing port forwarding, setup port 80 for first, and 80 for last port in the range, and then on the external set port 99 for first and last, and make sure you don't put any IPs in the external set, otherwise you won't be able to forward from anywhere outside of that IP.

Once you do that, you can hit your web interface using your IP with port number listed, so like this for example

http://10.99.56.12:99

You can find out your real IP by hitting www.whatismyip.com, that is the IP that should match the http string I put as an example

You won't be able to try this at home as its a loop, so you would trully have to hit your IP from somewhere outside of your home, like from your phone or external computer.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Go to the DDNS page under "Services" tab in the telus router. Set that up. Should work for you.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    Go to the DDNS page under "Services" tab in the telus router. Set that up. Should work for you.
    That isn't going to solve his problem with port forwarding. I haven't done DDNS on telus myself, but if it works like DDNS normally does, you won't need to remember your IP which can change, and instead just remember the DDNS name, which will automatically update should your IP ever change.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Telus doesn't block port 80 any more, just change it back.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Bastards. I found a link online which says they did, but it was probably old.

I'll tinker with this new information when I get home. I was previously stuck on the last set of numbers for the camera needing to be higher than that of the gateway that I pretty much abandoned trying other things...

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar
    Telus doesn't block port 80 any more, just change it back.
    Are you sure? They don't for business DSL, but last I checked they do for standard. If they don't, my life would be so much easier.

If they do indeed not block this anymore, how about 443?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by eblend

Are you sure? They don't for business DSL, but last I checked they do for standard. If they don't, my life would be so much easier.

If they do indeed not block this anymore, how about 443?
    I had a guy knock on my door last week trying to switch me over from Shaw and I told him no because they block port 80. He texted his supervisor to confirm and then told me they used to but no longer do.

I haven't tested it.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I use dyndns.org to view my camera system from anywhere in the world. Also have an IPHONE app for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar

I had a guy knock on my door last week trying to switch me over from Shaw and I told him no because they block port 80. He texted his supervisor to confirm and then told me they used to but no longer do.

I haven't tested it.
    I can test this tonight and see if its true. I am sure they could tell you anything to switch you over.

My Ride

just checked, port 80 is definatelly still blocked. I am using 8080 and godaddy redirect to make it look seamless for my site.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Hmmm... I tried using that whatismyip site, and it provided me with the IP that my router software claims is my modem IP address.

So trying to use that, I can't seem to access it at all now... in the network or out.

The bottom line as I see it is that if I can access it internally, then the actual camera should be set up right? Then it is just a matter of getting it accessible from outside the network. As such, I should set it back to how I had it when I could view it in my network, and then focus on routing it outside the network via the router.

I'm just even more confused now by your suggestion, eblend, as that was not the IP I was originally working with and seems to work even less now... (ie: not at all)

My Ride

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Hmmm... I tried using that whatismyip site, and it provided me with the IP that my router software claims is my modem IP address.

So trying to use that, I can't seem to access it at all now... in the network or out.

The bottom line as I see it is that if I can access it internally, then the actual camera should be set up right? Then it is just a matter of getting it accessible from outside the network. As such, I should set it back to how I had it when I could view it in my network, and then focus on routing it outside the network via the router.

I'm just even more confused now by your suggestion, eblend, as that was not the IP I was originally working with and seems to work even less now... (ie: not at all)

Something is strange.

Whatismyip.com will give you the IP address that presents you on the internet, it is the address that is provided by Telus to yourself, and it is the address that you would use to access any of the services on your network at home.

If telus allowed port 80 (or 443 if your camera uses https), then all you would need to do would be to open a browser, hit up your IP that you got from whatismyip.com, and it would open.

Since telus blocks port 80 and 443, you would have to append the ports used to something else, so for example, you would set port 80 internally, port 8080 externally, and then when you want to hit your website, you would have to specify port 8080 in the http:\\yourexternalip:8080 and it should work.

Here is how my website is setup and the forwarding on it in the Telus modem, maybe you are making some mistake somewhere. I will use my web server as an example so that you can see exact ports i used in the example.

If your firewall is set as such, you should be able to hit it internally using your internal IP only in your browser, and externally using your external IP:port number (8080 in this case)

You will not be able to your external IP:port number from your home at all, you would have to access this from another network, not just another computer on the same network. You can try it on the phone if you have data, or I can try it for you if you set it up like the picture and PM me your external IP
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Telus does block port 80 on personal packages, same with port 3389 and a couple others.

One thing worth mentioning, I find with my telus modem I have to actually reboot the thing after changing any of the port forwarding settings.
    Also, you might want to consider setting the camera to a static address, since if it loses its DHCP lease for any reason it may get a different address after and your port forwarding would then stop working.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride

Originally posted by Zero102
    Telus does block port 80 on personal packages, same with port 3389 and a couple others.
    3389 is fully open, I use it all the time to RDP to my home PC

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Got it! Finally.

Here's what the problem was - and how your suggestion helped me:

When I was doing the port forwarding, I told it to forward 192.168.1.71. But that was also the address I was using when trying to access it online. (192.168.1.71:port)

Then I remembered what you mentioned about the whatsmyip site, so instead of using that address, I used the one *IT* saw, along with the designated port.

I thought I had actually tried this before without success, but after port forwarding in the router I rebooted it so perhaps that helped.

Regardless, I'm up and running. Just try to break in now motherf*ckers.

Thanks for your help.

My Ride
    Hatred

Challenge accepted.
    -U

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by eblend

3389 is fully open, I use it all the time to RDP to my home PC
    Wacky, 3389 is blocked here, had to move my rdp to 3390 before I could connect. Way to be consistent Telus
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride

Originally posted by Zero102

Wacky, 3389 is blocked here, had to move my rdp to 3390 before I could connect. Way to be consistent Telus
    Weird indeed. My parents on telus as well and i have rdp setup on 3389 for them and it works just fine as well.

My Ride

Got it! Finally.

Here's what the problem was - and how your suggestion helped me:

When I was doing the port forwarding, I told it to forward 192.168.1.71. But that was also the address I was using when trying to access it online. (192.168.1.71:port)

Then I remembered what you mentioned about the whatsmyip site, so instead of using that address, I used the one *IT* saw, along with the designated port.

I thought I had actually tried this before without success, but after port forwarding in the router I rebooted it so perhaps that helped.

Thanks for your help.
    192.168 is part of a private IP range, and does not route. In a home environemnt almost everyone uses 192.168.*.* subnet, it will never route to the internet, else everyone would have IP conflicts left and right. If you are interested in more on how this work, google NAT and read up on it, Network Address Translation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast