Quantcast
think like a recruiter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: think like a recruiter?

Default think like a recruiter?

Morning all!

Just wondering...what does it take to get recruiters to notice my CV?

I've done 2 full cycle implementations of SAP and i get no biters from Suncor or Nexen when I apply through the website!

If you cannot get a sit-down interview, there are issues within the resume. And further, why are you using a recruiter? Have someone in the business (or like business) you are applying to look over your resume, I am betting there are some ugly holes in it. Whomever you currently have looking it over is being far to kind in saying it looks good. Your family and friends will generally tell you what you want to hear and unless they are in the know, they really do not know for certain.

Also you need to have key words in the resume to capture a search by the HR office. Every industry has unique key words, so you need to find these out and add them to your resume.

You can always post your resume with all the private information omitted, place names and companies altered to protect your identity. Post on forums which will have users who work in those industries you are applying to.

I have a member of my family who was until recently an executive with a top three international oil company here in Calgary. Omit or change all the personal details (name, previous work places, etc) and PM the resume over, I will forward it onward to him and get back to you on it in a day. He is only in Calgary until next Tuesday, so if you are doing this, get on it ASAP. It would take him less than a minute to say what the issues are.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-29-2012 at 12:51 PM.

you're most likely not getting anywhere on their website because they fill most of their positions through recruiters, who do the prescreening for them. Talking to the bigger placement agencies will get you further.

I highly doubt a former executive would provide great insight into your resume, especially when you're looking for an SAP position in O&G.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Originally posted by lint
    I highly doubt a former executive would provide great insight into your resume, especially when you're looking for an SAP position in O&G.
    You're totally right, why would an O&G exec know anything about business or hiring employees?

Don't listen to debbie downer, send him the resume. You don't get help from strangers with connections everyday.

Originally posted by thrasher22
    You're totally right, why would an O&G exec know anything about business or hiring employees?

Don't listen to debbie downer, send him the resume. You don't get help from strangers with connections everyday.
    Because an exec isn't going to be the one hiring for an SAP position, they won't know what the fuck an SAP implementation is, what the people on that team do, and won't have a clue as to what specific skills are required for the job.. The person who's opinion matters is the hiring manager.

But go ahead. hedge your bet on a former exec who has no idea who you are, probably at least 3 levels above the position you're applying for, instead of talking to the people who prescreen for these positions and are in communication with the hiring managers on a constant basis.
    heloc that shit

You both may be right, as she just wants a position and the path is the least of her concerns. One cannot discount anything when trying to get a job. You need to take a bomb approach and not the arrow route, cover as many avenues as possible.

Many executives are micro managers at heart, especially when their name is on the stationary or their major bonuses are tied to performance of their company. A company doing the prescreening has no interest other than getting the person hired and maybe a small personal bonus six months down the line if all went well. Other than that, they wash their hands of the hire and are on to the next rube.

Smile

Thanks for the response! Agreed, friends and family will not rip apart my CV. Will pm shortly!

For SAP implementation work, may be consider Newalta.

Cold resume drops on websites never get any attention. I'm not sure how SAP divisions are set up but there are some corporate divisions that will completely ignore what HR has to say and do all the interviews/hiring decisions themselves. If its like this, you definitely need a head hunter.

Otherwise, HR may do the screening and you'll need to cater to them.