Quantcast
Beyond police members chime in, is this legal? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Beyond police members chime in, is this legal?

My Ride
    is Invisible

Default Beyond police members chime in, is this legal?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: Beyond police members chime in, is this legal?

Originally posted by adidas
    LAS VEGAS video in the United States, not Canada
    Any officer would be an idiot to say that you can simply refuse to answer questions and you'll be sent on your merry way. That opens the door to a ton of liability.

Why don't you call a Lawyer and ask them?
    Last edited by codetrap; 03-03-2012 at 07:07 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    335i

You don't have to talk to police here either
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Great strategy.

My Ride
    is Invisible

I think it has more to do with knowing the Law than anything else. The reason why i asked for beyond police members to chime in is because they should know it like the back of their hand.

By all means, they can refuse to respond but it would be nice to at least be pointed in the right direction.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

hmmm.... thats a good question OP

In Canada, my impression is that we have somewhat different rights than the Americans do in their motor vehicles.... that is .... less

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Every lawyer I've ever talked to always agrees to that tactic.

Shut the hell up. Give them nothing.

I have no reason to do it for a checkstop though, they have good intentions. It's not a traffic camera cash grab, its a safety program that saves lives.

My Ride
    GT TDi

how is a checkstop any different than cops checking every person getting off the ctrain for concealed weapons?

i think checkstops are illegal in europe for this reason
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Originally posted by bart
    how is a checkstop any different than cops checking every person getting off the ctrain for concealed weapons?

It's a probability thing. I think there is a higher chance that a driver will a) be intoxicated, and b) potentially cause harm to another random individual or individuals.

Supposedly the CPS charge around 6 people with DUI every time they set up checkstops. I've only ever been through but it took about 3 seconds and I was on my way. I'm all for personal freedoms but checkstops aren't a big deal.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I was in and out in about 1 minute since I had a few equipment violations he told me to fix.

At 1 minute out of my day, you can pull me over on the way to work and the way home for all I care, so long as it get drunks off the road.

It is nothing like checking each person getting off the train for weapons. It is closer to asking someone if they have a weapon and then sending them on their way 30 seconds later if they answer in the negative.
    Last edited by FraserB; 03-03-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    335i

The Charter provides protection against unreasonable search and seizure, but the courts have held that checkstops are reasonable intrusions on this right pursuant to s.1 of our Charter.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by adidas
    I think it has more to do with knowing the Law than anything else. The reason why i asked for beyond police members to chime in is because they should know it like the back of their hand.

By all means, they can refuse to respond but it would be nice to at least be pointed in the right direction.
    I'm sure if they smelt any alcohol, or had any indication of it, that scene would have gone down a lot differently.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by J-D
    I'm all for personal freedoms but checkstops aren't a big deal.
    I don't think this statement is completely accurate, since the definition of being 'all for' personal freedoms doesn't allow for guys with striped pants carrying guns to stop random cars and ask the driver questions about their diet.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The guy is being difficult just for the sake of being difficult. Like cops' jobs aren't frustrating enough as it is.

By refusing to answer, he took up nearly two minutes of the time of everyone behind him. The only thing he proved to me is that he is a dick.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I thought for a vehicle offense you had to oblige, but for anything else.. Like a cop pulls you over for questioning on the sidewalk or at your apt. you dont have to give them shit.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Kloubek
    The only thing he proved to me is that he is a dick.
    what a dick.

My Ride
    sr86

I actually think this is fine, kinda boarder line douche but fine in legal terms. You can invoke your Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Section 11 of the Charter provides that one cannot be compelled to be a witness in a proceeding against oneself.

Pretty much the right to remain silent? The argument that the government can use S1 is interesting because wouldn't that get a lot of kick back?

It infringes on a lot of our rights. As mentioned
    8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.

9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned. Also other torts like unlawful confinement? Even habeas corpus might work? Say if you have any questions you can speak to my legal counsel ?

That's a lot of power S1 pushes in this case, o well, I'd just be polite to the fuzz as I normally am.
    Last edited by lastlatvian; 03-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

I have a photo infront of a checkstop in Europe. Mind you this was about 3 years ago.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Heres photo...You can see officers in backround, car behind was about to get towed, there wearing high vis vests.

My buddy lived out there for a year during school, and world hockey championships were going on. Checkstop right out front of his place.

Literally stood there and watched them pull over about 20 cars in 15 minutes. Tiny town too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think their intention is to get him to talk or exhale in their direction. no smell of alcohol, no signs of impaired behaviour, the car appears legal, no sign of any criminal activity and you're on your way. The police got what they wanted by making sure he didn't give any signs of being impaired, thus no need to continue with him. He thinks he got what he wanted by not answering their questions. The driver is only a fool because he thinks he beat the system when in fact the police got the information they were looking for. Had he answered no to the question he would have been on his way faster, so I guess in reality the driver only caused himself to be delayed. Props to the cops for being out there and being professional. I think in Alberta he may have been delayed longer due to the distracted driving law by operating and having the camera in his lap.
    Two hands working can do more than a million clasped in prayer...