Quantcast
Overpayment by a previous employer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Overpayment by a previous employer

Default Overpayment by a previous employer

So short story short, Telus sent me a letter (hand written address on the envelope) saying that they over paid me by $654.47 but stopped a pay cheque of $464.21... Now they are asking me for $190.26.

I gave them 2 weeks notice, everything standard. And now they are coming back to me roughly 2 months later....

My opinion on this (mainly because they are a huge corporation that truly don't give that much of a rats ass about their call centre employees, and generally the worst job I have ever worked for) is that they can get fucked.

I mean 2 months later, a hand written address on the envelope, it leads me to believe that this HR employee fucked up and is trying to cover their mistake. I can understand if I was still employed by them, take it off the next pay cheque.... But I haven't worked their for 2 months (as I said).

Am I legally obligated to pay them? I don't feel I'm really being that cheap, $190.26 is a good chunk of change to just pop up in someones expenses. My theory is they can't take me to a collection agency, so they would have to take me to court... And $190.26 I can't see that happening. It's their fuck up on a basis that literally is NOTHING to them.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Spoons; 03-04-2012 at 08:27 PM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Make sure they over-paid you first. By that I mean for any overtime you may have not counted, work you may have done after you were off the clock over the entire time you worked there. I'm pretty sure it will add up to a debt they owe you.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I had this happen to me when i worked at Wolseley back in the day...
    I ended up paying them; as im pretty sure under your employment contract you're obliged to as it is human error and you're given you're not entitled to in the grand scheme of things...

But i'd call your union rep if i were you.

Call center jobs suck balls haha...I always warn people.

Tell them to pound sand...they aren't going to send collections after you...just ignore the letter and say you never received it. If it was truly important it would have been couriered.

put the letter back in envelope

maybe tape up, maybe not

type RETURN TO SENDER and throw back in mail

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

No way to even prove you got it. Ignore it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Shred and ignore. If they send you a registered letter or get a phone call then look into it more.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Indian Scout

If they overpaid you for services rendered then it's not your money to keep. The size of the business, corporation or otherwise, has no bearing on whether you are entitled to the money nor does your opinion of the working conditions.

If you had a grievance about the working conditions during your employment you should have taken it to your HR rep.

Originally posted by Isaiah
    If they overpaid you for services rendered then it's not your money to keep. The size of the business, corporation or otherwise, has no bearing on whether you are entitled to the money nor does your opinion of the working conditions.

If you had a grievance about the working conditions during your employment you should have taken it to your HR rep.
    Yeah but ~$200.00... Who the fuck cares.

I didn't realize it. If I still worked for them, then sure. But now it's sort of just drop it and move on. Are you going to tell me that Telus really cares about ~$200.00? Absolutely not.

It is a huge inconvenience to me for their fuck up, so I feel I should not be obligated to do so. Like said above, I bet you any money it turns out they actually owe me more, and I could care less if they do.

Thread closed, I wanted a little bit of opinion to it and I recieved that most people say to ignore it, which I will be.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

interesting the morals you have.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

About time someone took some money from telus. FUCK EM.

I'd pay it back. That sort of shit only works out to your favor in Monopoly!

If 200 bucks is a huge deal in your finances, shouldn't you have noticed that you were overpaid in the first place? I have an idea of my gross pay to the nearest 0.1hr of my time before I have my paycheque in hand.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I would pay it, why risk losing a job referral?
    Don't burn bridges over 190$ that was never yours in the first place.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

+1 I would pay it back since they found out.
    Insurance Pro

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    I'd pay it back. That sort of shit only works out to your favor in Monopoly!

If 200 bucks is a huge deal in your finances, shouldn't you have noticed that you were overpaid in the first place? I have an idea of my gross pay to the nearest 0.1hr of my time before I have my paycheque in hand.
    Everything looked right on my pay cheques. To be honest I literally have NO clue where they got this over payment from. 22.5 hours, 7.5 overtime... That is a HUGE fuck up. That's over half a weeks worth of work. I really can not seem to figure out where they would have came to this. And when you work for a company where it was pretty well every pay cheque being a different amount, it's hard to really see where that would have.

This has nothing to do with morals... This has everything to do with satisfaction. This is an inconvenience to me for something that is so miniscule. I have vacations already planned and paid for, I am a huge snowboarder. Winter is a very busy and expensive time of year... So yeah an unplanned $200.00 expense just popping up kind of sucks.

As for a job referral? lol from whom? Managers that hated their employees due to union vs manger disputes? Managers that only look at pushing numbers rather than how their employees are feeling? I've got much better job referrals from others.

My main reasoning is I am now a rate analyst. My job requires quoting people all the time and how much it is going to cost. If I fuck up and under quote someone by $200, I eat that cost. I don't go after the person who hired me expecting them to pay me that $200.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^^doesn't matter how you cut it, or what excuses you give. I think it just goes to show your character. If Telus had shorted you $200 you would be screaming murder, but turn the tables and you are trying to find ways to keep something that does not belong to you, regardless of where it came from.

Might it not be prudent to ask them to demonstrate to you HOW this overpayment happened?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Why can't they take it to collections?
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by spikers
    ^^doesn't matter how you cut it, or what excuses you give. I think it just goes to show your character. If Telus had shorted you $200 you would be screaming murder, but turn the tables and you are trying to find ways to keep something that does not belong to you, regardless of where it came from.

Might it not be prudent to ask them to demonstrate to you HOW this overpayment happened?
    THIS. Rationalizing things is just too easy for some people.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Spoons

Thread closed, I wanted a little bit of opinion to it and I recieved that most people say to ignore it, which I will be.
    And that's what they really are, opinions. So just because most people tell you to ignore it, you do?

2 months later isn't really a long time. Is it really worth $200 for them to take legal action against you if they wanted to?

Originally posted by spikers

Good question to ask as well, if you couldn't figure out how it happened.

Originally posted by Disoblige

And that's what they really are, opinions. So just because most people tell you to ignore it, you do?

2 months later isn't really a long time. Is it really worth $200 for them to take legal action against you if they wanted to?
    Well yes because my opinion was to ignore it as well, so if it is matching my opinion then yes I'm going to go with it.

And no, 2 months later if I found out Telus short paid me $200 I would let it be. That is 100% no bullshit. Again it would have been $200 I was not accounting for, and my finances have been built around it. The headache it would take for me to retrieve that $200 short would be astronomical.

And there lies another point. Telus shorts me $200, they expect it back right away with no hassle. If I am shorted $200, it would be phone call after phone call trying to talk to the right person, I wouldn't see that money for months later.

If this was $1000... sure. As I said, THIS IS AN INCONVENIENCE to me. Why should I pay for a mistake THEY made.

I'm starting to think there is just a lot of devils advocating going on here..... Yes I asked for opinions, but tell me exactly why, and what I am facing if I don't... Don't just tell me it shows lack of character because frankly it doesn't. This is no way shows how I handle things. I pay all my bills on time, I try to be responsible with my money. But Aged 23, just starting into your career, doing hobbies that you love to do, and paying off a student loan doesn't leave you with $200 you can just give away.

I am sure lots of employers I have had have short paid me, and overpaid me. It is a mistake that happens. But when the mistake is $200 over the grand scheme of things, is it really worth it?

SO all in all thread is closed.
    Coles notes:
    -Telus over paid me $200
    -I am an immoral dead beat prick
    -I will be ignoring this and not paying the $200
    -This makes me a horrible human being
    Last edited by Spoons; 03-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast