Quantcast
Review: (NEWLY OPEN): 3:30 Hot Point Fusion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: (NEWLY OPEN): 3:30 Hot Point Fusion

My Ride
    Lease

Default Review: (NEWLY OPEN): 3:30 Hot Point Fusion

Not too sure what the exact name is, this place just opened up on March 3, 2012

3:30 Hot Point Fusion
    4340 Macleod Trail SW
    Calgary, Alberta

*In the complex where "Club Fit" (or World Health) is near Back Alley, 2 doors down from Seoul Korean BBQ and the Sheesha place.

My neighbour actually took me here during their grand opening day, without knowing it was opening day (couldn't get in)...

Seeing that my parents are visiting me for a while, thought we'd give this place a shot... Being honest, walking in, you know it's an Ikea built "contemporary" reno economically designed startup restaurant. But whatever... Neighbour came with us too.

Staff were really attentative as you walk in, someone will always say: (In Mandarin or Tawianese) "Welcome" (I don't understand it, but can still make it out)... Though I can see this could get annoying to staff and customers.

Polite, cheerful and comfident staff.

Being new to it (i.e. not sure what the food/restaurant is about; it's individual hot pot food, bubble tea house, Asian snack food): We asked one of the server girls to explain the menu (who turned out to be one of the owner sisters)... Vivian (or "ViVi") was so polite in explaining everything, suggestions, ideas, etc...

Here's where it got uncomfortable for me though, she was pretty friendly and "peppy" (like cheerful/skippy), good looking, slim body Asian girl, where she was leaning over pointing at menu items to me, that she eventually had a little bit of downblouse action going... My mom caught me peeking, so now I'm hooped, so I just quickly said: "I'll take the beef hot pot please"... but she was so well mannered that she kept on describing other menu items in the same position. Trying to keep my good boy image with my mom, just kinda said: "oh and I'll take a fresh Taro bubble tea please, NEXT" (looking at the neighbour that came with us)... Then I went back to my comfort zone seating position; organizing some "business" on the iPhone.

They've got about 8 styles of individually sized Hot Pot, for about $9 (comes with bowl of rice too)

And take notice BUBBLEMANIA; fresh Taro milk tea... I'm just hoping they'll offer late operating hours... This could be the next destination for BBT lovers in the South or Central Calgary.

So Vivi (one of the two sisters owner) was really good at checking up on us and making sure everything's alright. (ok that's normal)... But then it got weird and awkward (FOR ME, IMO), where I noticed, spotting my mom seeing she's not wearing a ring... So my parents started a chit-chat session with her. (which is normal in restaurant operations)..

Then Vivi came back offering this 10% VIP card, and some coupon for snacks, hands them directly to me.

She tells us (my neighbour and I) how we probably didn't get in on grand opening cuz the deal was really good, etc... It was buy 1 (hot pot), get 1 free... Then my dad made some corny joke about how: "Can we make it up with this visit? har har har arrr ahhh har"

But Vivian was a trooper, kept her cool... She's like well that's why I gave you guys these cards for next time, yea sorry can't use 'em this time tho.

Then it gets weirder still, the bill came, it was handed directly right at me... (is this some kind of test what kinda guy I am on a date or something??) Clearly the eldest at the table should always get the bill for all seniority purposes. My neighbour's such a great guy that he tried fighting to pay.

Opened up the sleeve... and somehow, the 10% discount was applied on this first visit still???

Wtf happened there? Was it just a generous staff member? Or did Vivi had anything to do with this 10% off?

Not a bad place, owner's such a great gal... Not sure if it's all the kim chi broth talking... But could this possibly be the girl for one's heart to keep follow? Or just a great eatery for your stomach's desire?

Food: 4/5 I'm pretty sure it's somewhat, one of it's kind in Calgary... Individually sized hot pot. Though I'm sure it's all over the place in Taiwan, Asia, etc... Good food, when you're eating with a bunch of people, you don't have to worry about those who love licking their chopsticks and dipping it back into the dish... You each get your own shit... (Disclaimer: The word "pretty sure" means I have no fucking clue if it's being done in Calgary, Asia or any part of the world or not)

Great bubbletea, pretty smile from Vivi and the wide flavor selection avaliable makes you forget about the potential testiclar issues with these BBT ingredient warnings issued from varies government health agencies.

Not bad for 4 ppl, for $46 (with a discount tho)

Service 4.5/5 At the begining stage, most restaurants give it their best.

Ambience 2.5/5 As much as I love to, I find this fair... It's an Ikea built reno... (NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, I'm allow give my points based on my opinion)... Plus (this isn't their fault), when you walk towards the bathroom corridor, it feels like the floor is sloping to one side a bit (towards the kitchen side), like a walking in a hallway of a docked cruiseship... Plus garage floor paint (STILL VERY CLEAN, nonetheless)

now i am craving hot pot....

gotta try now...

got to try this place

My Ride
    Lease

^^ Can you guys see if ViVi is just as friendly to y'all???

Let me know if you wanna borrow my 10% card.

My Ride
    NC1

Interesting. Will have to check it out.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Ha ha ha... Just remember Tom, its in her best interest to be nice to you! (But not that nice.. creep!)

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Jerry Seinfeld: Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.

That's close to my work. I'll check it out with my shades on.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

individual hot pot, sold.

i'll try it with the old man before we goto the car show next week.

do you know if you can choose to get noodles instead of rice with no extra charge?

my wife's sister lucked out.She went there on 1/2 price opening night with 5 family members.Total bill was $52.She gave Vivian $100 and got back $90 Gave Vivian a $10 tip and she was so giddy

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Tom you're a dirty old man.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Tom you always have to read into everything, don't you?
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Default Re: Review: (NEWLY OPEN): 3:30 Hot Point Fusion

Seriously Thomas, you have a talent for story telling...

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

My mom caught me peeking, so now I'm hooped,

I would've thought you would be a master at peeking without getting caught...
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

lol, your mom probably expected you to be peeking, and was hoping you would otherwise she'd be wondering about your orientation LOL
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Lease

Default Re: Re: Review: (NEWLY OPEN): 3:30 Hot Point Fusion

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Originally posted by lilmira
    Originally posted by rage2
    Originally posted by LadyLuck
    Originally posted by baygirl
    Originally posted by littledan
    Mind you, there's always lost in translation through word-text description than actually being there in person.

It was more of an "easy eye roll" from the menu sheet, to the area where she was talking.

Totally not a full out Hellloooooooooo Nurse, hubba hubba.

My Ride
    my bike

Is this the same people as the 3:30 bubble tea place in Chinatown next to Visions?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

OMFG that hot & Sour soup looks delicious. Thanks Tom, I am now sold.

For $45 for ALL that food, why not. Ill go there this week end and offer a "cracka" perspective on it.

EDIT: Just came back from that actually, quite a spur of the moment thing.

Man Tom, you have a great way of promoting places. That place sucked. Food was okay; but their menu has really nothing other then Hot & Sour soup. We were starving, so
    After that I went to grab a burger since that wasn't overly filling

The Bubble tea was great, but thats really about it.
    Overall the place was very very noisy. They have the bubble tea machines RIGHT beside the tables, so there was this (almost jack-hammer like) racket fairly consistently. It was quite noisy for a restaurant. It must be an asian thing to be cool with that level of noise, but it was fast getting annoying.
    The ambiance was interesting. Quite hard to get settled down in there, and be laid back. Hard to explain but it had an odd vibe to it.

The "Food" was okay, but I was expecting a lot better considering that the "Hot & sour soup" is their specialty. Quite disappointed as that was all they had. For an Asian restaurant I shouldn't be too surprised they dont serve any alcohol, but man a beer would have hit the spot.

It was nice to try something new for a change, but I definitely wont be back. $50 later for two people, and we both left almost as hungry as when we came in.

I dont have high hopes for that place staying around for too long.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-08-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    ACS 328is

sounds like the girls got to ya
    www.projecttechnik.com

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by DC328is
    sounds like the girls got to ya
    Who hasn't been mystified by a pair of titties? For a moment I liked Loungeburger, but that's only because the firebush's tats were right in my face every time she was at our table.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Snap! A new place to try out. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm taking the famjam here this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast