Quantcast
Review: Sushi Ginza Willow Park - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Sushi Ginza Willow Park

Default Review: Sushi Ginza Willow Park

My family and I decided to go out for sushi, straying away from our usual spot "Kinjo" we decided on Sushi Ginza.

First impression: Walking in, it was a nicely renovated establishment. We were sat in a "Booth" of sorts, it was definitely cramped even for only 4 of us, but it had a nice warm feel to it.

On to the food, we ordered 15 salmon pieces, 2 eel, rainbow rolls, and spicy tuna rolls.
    Presentation was nice, every thing looked good, everything went down hill from here...

The food itself was decent at best, if it wasn't for the massive amount of wasabi I slathered on there would be little to no flavour... Tea was luke warm but that was quite minor. One piece of salmon sushi had a massive piece of hair entwined within the rice which turned my mother off eating completely! (Won't lie, I was even a little disgusted by it)

When we went to pay, our bill totalled $97 (Quite expensive relative to kinjo also), and much to my dismay, they did not do a single thing to make up for the piece of hair, no apology, nothing. I even asked the manager to comp the bill in SOME way, ANYTHING to make his customers happy... He replied with "That is not our company policy, nothing I can do".

My entire family has been in the service industry, myself for the past 5 years. So it was not like we were in any way being unreasonable, hell if they took the $3 tea off I would have been happy!

Overall my family left quite disappointed (Mother left hungry). From what I saw Sushi Ginza has no concern for customer satisfaction, and we will be sticking to Kinjo from now on.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

if you frequent kinjo and other deeper south sushi places, have you ever tried Izumi, it's where the Tokyo Garden was, same building, different name now i guess.

i think they kept the same chefs because it was almost exactly like tokyo's quality but changed the menu quite a bit, maybe i should do a review on it, Ginza's one of those chinese sushi chef type places isn't it? i think that's what my brother said cause he was saying the chefs were clearly yapping out loud in cantonese. as for kinjo, i always thought of that place as a 'on-the-go' sushi places, maybe should actually try it before saying anything tho.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by n1zm0
    if you frequent kinjo and other deeper south sushi places, have you ever tried Izumi, it's where the Tokyo Garden was, same building, different name now i guess.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I don't need another favorite spot to get so ridiculously busy I can't get a table!!!

Went to Izumi yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. There are doing some Special Days (Sun - Thu) up until the end of March. We stumbled upon the Special Roll Day where all special rolls are priced at $10.95 for regular size and $8.95 for small size rolls. Portions were big and very good quality.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Izumi Sushi Yokozuna, huge portions, that's for sure.. Too big IMO, but depends what you are looking for in a good meal. If you just want to be stuffed, then fine.

Sushi Ginza, thanks for the review vengie.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

ginza was my favorite southern sushi place, but i have noticed a decline lately, its too bad real... it use to be worth the price. but yeah kinjo is terrible

I too had a horrible expereince there as well about 2 years ago, my sushi came luke warm and I almost had to serve myself. I was loyal to them for years but I think it's all gone to their heads.
    Blood for boost

Yeah that last time I went to Ginza I wasn't impressed either. Mediocre quality, high prices. Just discovered a new place in Evergreen (near the Bull and Finch and the Sobeys) that is quite good if you go that far South. Used to live in the NW and miss Sushi Boat. Not a lot of options in or near our new neighborhood (Silverado)>

^Li-Ao Sushi!!!

huge portions and excellent service!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    ^Li-Ao Sushi!!!

huge portions and excellent service!
    That's the one! Thanks god us folks in the deep south got some decent sushi!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by jvyyc

That's the one! Thanks god us folks in the deep south got some decent sushi!
    went last night, was pretty good. more of a quick meal kind of place instead of fine dining type sushi. but still miles ahead of kinjo

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by ercchry
    but yeah kinjo is terrible
    Kinjo is to sushi what Edo is to real Japanese teppanyaki....Not surprising considering it's the founder of Edo's sushi place.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

Went to Izumi last night! found myself a new spot

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

What's with all the Kinjo hate? They have the best service of any sushi place I've been to, I've never found the food objectionable and the Dalhousie one is the best sushi in the NW.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by HyperZell
    What's with all the Kinjo hate? They have the best service of any sushi place I've been to, I've never found the food objectionable and the Dalhousie one is the best sushi in the NW.
    Agreed.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

...white people

My Ride
    It has a shiny thingy on the front

Just spent some time and money at Sushi Ginza on Saturday. Tea was hot, no hair that I could see, food was good.

Never had bad food or service other than one waitress confirming numerous times the 4 extra ginger orders. I like ginger.

Been to Kinjo too. Didn't like the open ginger containers that were kept on table for all diners. Didn't like being kicked out after finishing the meal, wanted to sip some tea and chill. The sampler that they bring when you sit down must be leftovers from years past - rice was crunchy. Not going back there again.

But will try the place in Evergreen.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

Kinjo is the McDonald's of sushi (except for the affordable price)

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by ercchry
    ...white people
    As long as the majority of you folks like it, that's all that matters (business perspective). Most restaurants rather cater to the masses and not to those with discernable tastes IMO!

I find Sushi Ginza/Kinjo/Sushi Tokyo/Fujiyama/Sakana Grill are all about the same quality wise. I still love Wa's but any place in Vancouver > all in 403.

Edit: I agree with OP. Management should have done something if there was something wrong with the food. Vengie, are you going to be vengeful and call the health boards on them? All you gotta say is you didn't feel well after having a meal there and can even go further and say you saw what looked like to be mice droppings in the premises haha The health board will almost ALWAYS follow up lol
    Last edited by max_boost; 03-19-2012 at 05:33 PM.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by mekeni
    Kinjo is the McDonald's of sushi (except for the affordable price)
    We go there because it's white-friendly for our compatriots; they love Peter's kitschy act and the spicy stuff is not spicy in the least (plus, free Pocky and the odd full free roll). The prices are equal to better places, sadly, but it's the only place we can do a communal dinner at (it's so white washed, my friend's wife who does not eat ANY ethnic food, not even dim sum, loves it there).
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast