Quantcast
Car Change, is this a bad idea - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Change, is this a bad idea

My Ride
    09 WRX

Default Car Change, is this a bad idea

So I'm sick of the mileage on my 2009 WRX. I love the thing, but I don't wanna pay for it anymore, thinking about swapping (not 1-1) for a 2008 Mini Cooper S. Gets much better mileage, still is quirky and a good reflection of my personality. Anyone got anything bad to say about these little go carts?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

You'd instantly regret it. Mini's arent for mileage, they are for fun and for attention. Your WRX is waaaaaaay more fun to drive than a Cooper S, especially in the winter.

The Mini does have a strong personality, I just wouldnt chose one over a WRX lol.

My Ride
    See sig

There aren't that many good combinations of fun and fuel efficiency. The 2011/12 V6 Mustang gets 31MPG hwy, and the Fiat 500 abarth is a few months away, could be worth waiting for. What else have you been looking at?

Ever thought about a bike?
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    ////M

23-26 mpg is bad
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Minis are garbage.

That is all.

My Ride
    del Sol

Buddys Mini is in the shop more than he has it.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I'd avoid a mini. When my last daily driver shit the bed; I briefly looked at one. On paper they seem alright, but they have a well deserved bad rep. They ARE fun little cars that are great for asphalt carving; but there are a lot better choices that are one hell of a lot cheaper to own as well.

What is it that makes you so sick of your WRX? the cost of ownership or the fuel economy? That would help us make some better informed suggestions for you.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    09 WRX

Just the fuel economy I baby the thing and it's a real challenge to get under 10L/100 KM. I am usually 11-12, the damn thing eats premium too. I was also considering an older regular impreza, if I did older impreza I would probably buy a noob bike too for the summer.

I love driving the wrx it's a ton of fun, but it's almost too much of a family car. I never have anyone in the back seat anyway, so what's the point of having a four door?

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

I got to ride in a mini recently, I figured you'd at least get a decent car for the ridiculous price you pay for them. Boy, I was wrong.

Cheapest built cars I've ever been in. Absolute garbage. Don't even think about trading a WRX for a mini, you will regret it instantly.

Unless you are talking about the OLD minis, if thats the case, have fun

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Maybe a gti is in order? Hardly any boost lag, 2 door or 4 door. very nice interior.

My Ride

^ Even a worse idea. GTI's are pieces of shit. My buddy has one that he bought new ('08) and he regrets buying it to no end. VERY expensive to maintain, quite unreliable, and probably every bit as bad on gas if not worse.

Now he too hates VW as much as I do. I told him not to buy it.... but....
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Not denying the expensive maintance, but I've enjoyed my car. I put about 2000 into repairs fuel pump and head gasket with a chipped car that's not to bad IMO. Owned since new 92k km.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I recently traded my 11' STi for an 08 Cooper with a sport package for a more practical approach. Here's why, I was paying just over $1000/ mth to drive the car and that was the biggest reason. Now I'm paying $600(-$350 for my car allowance). I'm averaging about 700kms per tank in the city using 50l of fuel. It was a HUGE downgrade but I don't have any regrets because it is a dd and we still have a bike and a 300+hp car in the house for fun. Plus they're really fun in the corners

I guess it all depends what youre trying to accomplish by doing this.

mini vs wrx?

gay vs straight?

My Ride
    99 1.8t

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    mini vs wrx?

gay vs straight?
    Coming from a guy who was asking about mercedes compressors jk

My Ride

Originally posted by danno
    Not denying the expensive maintance, but I've enjoyed my car. I put about 2000 into repairs fuel pump and head gasket with a chipped car that's not to bad IMO. Owned since new 92k km.
    Im sorry but thats retarded for an '07. A head gasket? already? $2000 is a lot of shit to go wrong with a car thats that new. We've owned cars since new with over 300k on them; and they didn't even require $2k in maintenance.

Buddies '08 had the A/C compressor shit the bed last week, 2000kms out of warranty, the dealership basically told him to go fly a kite . VW wanted $1800 to fix it, so he just ripped everything out himself.

Im always amazed when people choose a VW over anything else. Boggles my mind.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

The early coopers had headgasket issues, the current generation seems to be better off. Never touch a first gen cooper.

My Ride
    KTM

What would you really save a month? 15$ a tank maybe?

I drive a truck and put on a ton of KM, I need a truck for my hobbies so I cant really sell it. I figure it costs me about $40 a tank more than my friends who drive fuel economic cars.

My Ride
    Horse

WRX for a mini? Defs a bad idea...

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Im sorry but thats retarded for an '07. A head gasket? already? $2000 is a lot of shit to go wrong with a car thats that new. We've owned cars since new with over 300k on them; and they didn't even require $2k in maintenance.

Buddies '08 had the A/C compressor shit the bed last week, 2000kms out of warranty, the dealership basically told him to go fly a kite . VW wanted $1800 to fix it, so he just ripped everything out himself.

Im always amazed when people choose a VW over anything else. Boggles my mind.
    VWs are shit, but there is that 1 day in the entire month where you feel like your in a AMG(lol? great comparison), and there really is no replacing that feeling. Thats why dubbers are dubbers4life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast