Quantcast
Where to buy decent watch - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to buy decent watch

Default Where to buy decent watch

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a watch but want to know where is a good place to get one? Online or Retail Store?

I wouldn't mind a good used one...but that opens up even more concerns.

I'd like an entry level breitling (colt?) or even an omega.

Any recommendations?

Calgary Jewlery offered my 21% off on a quartz Colt - That seemed pretty good.
    As for the Omega, there isn't much margin on the seamaster as they are discontinuing the old look.

Thanks!!

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

An entry level watch?
    Do some offer more advanced ways of telling me it's 1030?

Start with a price range and we can help you from there

timezone.com has a good forum for selling used watches, i have bought a couple from there with no problems. just be careful who you deal with and know the watch you are buying.

My Ride
    2012 Audi R8 V10- Stasis Supercharged

You can get deep discounts on brand name watches on the web that you simply can't get in retail stores or through authorized dealers. The main reason is because most online watch retailers buy watches in bulk from authorized wholesalers. Wholesalers clear out their inventory at discounted prices, and the savings are passed on to buyers. Authorized dealers must sell watches at their full retail value or risk losing their licenses.

Check out http://www.luxurybazaar.com/ they usually have some good deals and is very reputable.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

J. Vair Anderson is another good place I'd recommend. Right beside Eau Claire, just south half a block on 3rd st.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by importracer1
    You can get deep discounts on brand name watches on the web that you simply can't get in retail stores or through authorized dealers. The main reason is because most online watch retailers buy watches in bulk from authorized wholesalers. Wholesalers clear out their inventory at discounted prices, and the savings are passed on to buyers. Authorized dealers must sell watches at their full retail value or risk losing their licenses.

Check out http://www.luxurybazaar.com/ they usually have some good deals and is very reputable.
    My only issue is that when you buy from the grey market online shops, the warranty isn't honored by the factory, and they provide their own guys to fix the watches usually with disasterous results.

With that being said, after you add shipping, duty and taxes, the local guys are usually able to get within $100 or so on a $6000 watch. It's not worth the hassles going to grey market. I have bought from online shops, usually on limited edition models where they generally discount more than the local shops.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Word. Some of them are refurbished/demos and labeled "New" and so forth. These watches are usually much cheaper for a reason. If the etailer is a certified dealer for a given watch company thats usually different; but most places & companies warn you about buying online, as its quite hard to adequately regulate.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Wristshots

Generally speaking, if buying new, getting a decent discount from an Authorized Dealer is the route I take rather than dealing in the grey market. But unless you're looking for a specific model that can only be found from an Authorized Dealer, I'd consider buying pre-owned.

Did anything other than the Breitling Colt and Omega Seamaster Professional catch your eye? Look around and try other watches which fit your criteria. If the right deal can be found in the pre-owned market, go that route. Otherwise, getting your ~20% off from from an Authorized Dealer isn't a bad idea.

If you're specifically looking for the latest iteration of the wave-dial Seamaster Professional, I'm fairly confident you'll find it a discounted rate form other dealers. Definitely if you're open to purchasing from outside of Calgary.

Happy shopping!

Thanks for the replies all.
    I too would prefer to purchase from a local retailer but am open to preowned for sure...I'm just too much of a noob to know how to spot a fake or what to look for.

Is there are general mark up price on watches = is there an average discount I should be looking for? Do I just go in and ask if they would be willing to offer a discount? (I'm not sure of the proper protocol).
    Last edited by psi_klops; 03-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.