Quantcast
Anybody into local bands? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody into local bands?

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Default Anybody into local bands?

Hey guys, its been way to long since ive posted anything on beyond so i thought id start a discussion.
    Anybody into local music?
    I play in a local pop/punk band called For One More Day.

http://www.facebook.com/foronemoreday

There is quite a few good local bands out there, lets hear what everyone has to say!

The Braves is a great local band, Run Romeo Run (Ardrie) are fantastic.
    Makeshift Innocence
    The Elegance

Just played a show with them on friday. Fantastic show!

Lets hear it!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I used to play bass for this local band called Train Bigger Monkey's. It was metal, which I like but they sucked and weren't going anywhere. So it was kind of a mutual fuck off. Its funny their still doing shows at the same bars they always have... Nothing will ever change.

Beyond has its own band, With a few members on here. Check out that guitar discussion thread.

Rage - Guitars/vocals
    Zipdoa - Drums
    Bourge73 guitars
    PD77 - Vocals.

I used to play with them, but I hate classic rock so that was kind of that.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I used to play bass for this local band called Train Bigger Monkey's. It was metal, which I like but they sucked and weren't going anywhere. So it was kind of a mutual fuck off. Its funny their still doing shows at the same bars they always have... Nothing will ever change.

Beyond has its own band, With a few members on here. Check out that guitar discussion thread.

Rage - Guitars/vocals
    Zipdoa - Drums
    Bourge73 guitars
    PD77 - Vocals.

I used to play with them, but I hate classic rock so that was kind of that.
    Did by any chance you have a guitar player named Andrew? If i remember correctly

I'll have to check it out for sure!

My Ride

^ He was the bass player that replaced me. I think he's still with the band.
    Not too sure what the line up is now for them.

I used to play with this other band before them called "Good lookin' out". It was a thrash metal band. Actually I enjoyed playing with them a fair bit as the songs were original and pretty damn good; but we had some serious commitment issues from the vocalist/head of the band. Finally after a year of jamming; ready to do some shows we were no farther ahead then we were when I first joined them, as half the time the vocalist wouldn't be there, yet it was him that needed the practice the most. So after a couple more months of this I left to join Train bigger monkeys.
    Not the least bit surprised to find out that after I left the band tossed in the towel and broke up. I think the writing was on the wall for the last couple months leading up to myself leaving.

It was actually a post here on beyond by their former guitarist Rick, that notified me that they were looking for a bass player, so I got my amp & stuff from the old band's house and brought it all over to the lead singers house for TBM.

Not playing for anybody at the moment, I'd like to join a band (thats for once going places, other then these grungy old bars the odd once in a while) where I can really enjoy the music and generally get along with everybody. Seems like a tall order though, so I guess I have a lot more searching to do.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-18-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    05 Forester X

^ He was the bass player that replaced me. I think he's still with the band.
    Not too sure what the line up is now for them.

I used to play with this other band before them called "Good lookin' out". It was a thrash metal band. Actually I enjoyed playing with them a fair bit as the songs were original and pretty damn good; but we had some serious commitment issues from the vocalist/head of the band. Finally after a year of jamming; ready to do some shows we were no farther ahead then we were when I first joined them, as half the time the vocalist wouldn't be there, yet it was him that needed the practice the most. So after a couple more months of this I left to join Train bigger monkeys.
    Not the least bit surprised to find out that after I left the band tossed in the towel and broke up. I think the writing was on the wall for the last couple months leading up to myself leaving.

It was actually a post here on beyond by their former guitarist Rick, that notified me that they were looking for a bass player, so I got my amp & stuff from the old band's house and brought it all over to the lead singers house for TBM.

Not playing for anybody at the moment, I'd like to join a band (thats for once going places, other then these grungy old bars the odd once in a while) where I can really enjoy the music and generally get along with everybody. Seems like a tall order though, so I guess I have a lot more searching to do.
    Wow seems like you got some history in the whole "metal" scene. Back when i was like 14-15, i was into Lithica, Verbal Deception, i think haha, Breed Of War.
    Sorta moved out of that phase.
    Its weird because i know the bands your talking about haha.

Funny how all that works. I myself have only been in a couple calgary bands that have made it past the basement jamming.

Alkaline Countdown
    www.myspace.com/alkalinecountdown
    and The Elegance
    facebook.com/theelegancemusic

Alkaline Countdown broke up, and i had to leave the elegance due to personal reasons, then finally got back into the whole band thing in September and have never regretted one bit of it. I can't wait to get back into the studio and log some time.

For once i love doing what i do, and could see the band actually making it past the local community hall. we're already considering setting up western Canadian tour dates and what not. Not to become "successful" but just to play and do what we love, and share our music with everyone.

My Ride

^ Yeah see its that whole western Canada touring & doing what you love that I have yet to experience. Just listening to The Elegance songs now. I think you guys had a great thing going. You sounded a lot like that "Good lookin' out" when we were together, a fair bit better actually.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys are now doing.

You may have heard the band "Pure City", my buddy Matt was the guitarist for them. They recently broke up though, same with my old band Good looking out: it was problems with the vocalist.

Now hes doing a new band called Atomis. He's always doing music thats good. He played at the SAIT bar, I forget what its called... "The Gateway" is that it?

I've answered a few posts on Kijiji looking for bassists; but they got back to me with their demos, and they suck. So that was a no-go. I should do that again in case there were new bands that are actually decent.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

^ Yeah see its that whole western Canada touring & doing what you love that I have yet to experience. Just listening to The Elegance songs now. I think you guys had a great thing going. You sounded a lot like that "Good lookin' out" when we were together, a fair bit better actually.

You may have heard the band "Pure City", my buddy Matt was the guitarist for them. They recently broke up though, same with my old band Good looking out: it was problems with the vocalist.

Now hes doing a new band called Atomis. He's always doing music thats good. He played at the SAIT bar, I forget what its called... "The Gateway" is that it?

I've answered a few posts on Kijiji looking for bassists; but they got back to me with their demos, and they suck. So that was a no-go. I should do that again in case there were new bands that are actually decent.
    The Elegance is still up and running. I was shortly replaced and they've all moved on aloooot! My band is really good friends with them and we're playing a show on April 28th with them!

The Western Canadian Tour would just be such a fun experience and would ultimately make you grow as a musician and a person i think.

Surprisingly, the band im in right now has no commitment issues. We're all in this band 100%, i mean were looking at spending over 2000 worth of gear just for our practicing so we gotta be in this. That reminds me i have to put my car up for sale to pay for this shit ahahahaha.

Ill have to check a couple of those bands out for sure!
    Why not man, answer a few ads, i used to do the whole be in bands with guys i met and its not as much fun as when your literally best friends with your bandmates.
    I joined the band not knowing any one of these guys, and its actually unbelievable how well we all got along, and i haven't looked back. We've officially been together since December after a few member changes, starting from September.
    I'm, definitively excited over the whole thing though.

Makeshift Innocence and Boy & gurL. I heard Makeshift when they opened for a small Boy & gurL concert at Wildrose Brewery.

http://www.boyandgurl.com

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

Default Re: Anybody into local bands?

Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
    Hey guys, its been way to long since ive posted anything on beyond so i thought id start a discussion.
    Anybody into local music?
    I play in a local pop/punk band called For One More Day.

http://www.facebook.com/foronemoreday

There is quite a few good local bands out there, lets hear what everyone has to say!

The Braves is a great local band, Run Romeo Run (Ardrie) are fantastic.
    Makeshift Innocence
    The Elegance

Just played a show with them on friday. Fantastic show!

Lets hear it!
    Run romeo Run i actually just saw for the first time at an all ages shows last week. I actually went for green beers with the drummer (adam) on saturday.
    My Fiance is their photgrapher, and specializes in band photography. Heres a link to her site, keep an eye open for run romeo run this week, www.hazzardousmaterial.com
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    Makeshift Innocence and Boy & gurL. I heard Makeshift when they opened for a small Boy & gurL concert at Wildrose Brewery.

http://www.boyandgurl.com
    Jesse, from Makeshift is one of the funniest guys ive met. ahaha after one show we played we talked we rofled for like 2 hours after ahahaha

Originally posted by ae92gts

Run romeo Run i actually just saw for the first time at an all ages shows last week. I actually went for green beers with the drummer (adam) on saturday.
    My Fiance is their photgrapher, and specializes in band photography. Heres a link to her site, keep an eye open for run romeo run this week, www.hazzardousmaterial.com
    Was that on the 16th? Because if so we played that show! hahaha
    And Adam is definitely one of the chillest guys Ive met!

EDIT:
    Defs was the show, by any chance did you see us play?

LINKY:
    http://www.hazzardousmaterial.com/music.php

Also us playing!
    LINKY:

We're recording this song, end of the month
    Last edited by Nissan_Fanboy; 03-21-2012 at 12:29 AM.

My Ride
    Horse

I've listened to these guys but only recently learned they are from Calgary.
    Last edited by xnvy; 03-23-2012 at 07:55 AM.

My Ride
    jetta

You are not Kevin are you? I all so know RM of now defunct Pure City, was he the issue?

My Ride

^ My name's Graham; as my username implies .... Kevin was the drummer. I play bass and always have.

Kevin is good friends with the vocalist, so to the two of them: everybody else is replaceable... which seems to be the case as they're the only two original members left.
    Like I say with Kevin still in the band I wouldn't be saying I broke up with them a couple years ago.

For "RM" of pure city, yeah he was a huge part of the issue so I've heard from their closest fans and whatnot. I dont want to speak on their behalf as I was never a part of their band but from what I've heard it was falling apart thanks to his "antics" shall I say. (Im Being *very* polite here)

Too bad, they had a great thing going. Atomis is a really cool project. I'd love to see where that goes.

Shit I almost forgot. My elementary school best friends younger brother Richard is also the guitarist for Seventh Rain. Kind of funny.... my first band experience was when I was 13, playing guitar, with his older brother on the drums.
    Funny how everything snow-balled from those days.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Yep...I book for the Gateway. And Atomis has played our room a few times in the past, great guys and cool show.

Here's a video I took IIRC it was their first show as Atomis, at the Gate.

What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    Horse

I played the bass with these fine gentlemen when the band first started, it has gone through a few changes but for the most part it still is the same "style" so to speak.

Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    2003 MB E320

This is an original track. We are a start up band tryin to find good events or venues to gig at... any leads?

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I saw a local band called Beer Drinking Fighting Machine last week... they were awesome. Been looking to get into a band as well, I play guitar.. I write my own stuff but its all super hard to perform. just want to be in a good times fun band

My Ride

^ Crazy, we should get together for a jam at some point.
    Originally posted by JMaj7
    This is an original track. We are a start up band tryin to find good events or venues to gig at... any leads?

You guys sound great! You should email places like Verns, or Morgan's (etc) and email them the URL for that youtube clip. There are lots of pubs/bars/taverns that I think would be interested in having you guys. After you guys do a couple shows and have that under your belt you may want to approach chains like Original Joes and the like. There are tons of places in Calgary & area that are looking for good local talent.
    Hopefully you guys have a set list though, I dont think too many places would be interested unless you guys can be on stage for at least 30min performing.

My Ride
    2003 MB E320

I'm glad you like the sound. We are in recording phase right now but the guys really to want start gigging. We have about an hour among the band and about three if we start switching instruments around. We have stripped down versions of our set and sometimes I bring out my MPC and perform in the form of a freestyle. Here's another promo video we did just to start gigging.

Last edited by JMaj7; 04-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Here seems like as good a place as any to post ...

I'm currently looking for people to jam with, been playing drums for 12 years and haven't had a band for about a year or so.

I've got a heated garage with room to play. I'm open to mostly any style.

I'll try and dig up some of our old stuff and post it. Played one gig at Vern's in 2007.. then we broke up haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast