Quantcast
anybody running cages on their Non Stunt bike? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anybody running cages on their Non Stunt bike?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Default anybody running cages on their Non Stunt bike?

As title states, anybody running a street cage on their bike or a full stunt cage?

Im not planning on stunting my bike ever Im just looking for the most protection I can get on it..

If you are what cage you running? Got pics? Hows the comfortability?

So far ive looked at the tyger shark cage.. looks nice, about $235 shipped

http://tygersharkcages.com/products-...-street-cages/

Also without making another thread I need to switch out tires on my CBR. Both are original on the bike and the bike is a 06 with only 4500kms. I want something stickier and thats good if I get cought in the occasional wet.

Thanks

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

From what Ive heard (Dont flame me if this isnt correct)

Unless your planning on stunting, or riding around at very low speeds its better to run without a cage or frame sliders.

When you crash at high speeds your bike is designed to slide.

But from what ive heard from a couple people that crashed is that the frame sliders actually make the bike flip causing way more damage instead of sliding.

Again, this could be wrong, but its what ive heard from other people

Frame sliders are good for low speed, but other then that i wouldnt have them. Ive never run a cage.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I could see the frame sliders causing the bike to flip. My main reason for wanting to run the cage is the event of the bike tipping over (and me having some expensive fairings that I need to put on) not wanting them to get scuffed.

Honestly I dont use the bike for more than riding around on nice days and just go get where I need to go. I dont hit the twisties enought to have to lean too much (obviously the cage would be a no go then)

I know frame sliders are a cheaper route but I want all the protection I can get on it.

Coming from someone with experience, I'd rather have frame sliders than none. The extra couple inches of elevation help protect your leg in an event. The plastic really does not grab at all, so the only time where your bike may flip is if your wheel catches a curb or something. Lots of times the frame "slider" itself just breaks (it's plastic after all) and the only thing left protecting you & your bike is the elongated bolt.

Depending on your bike, a cage may be overkill. I've got sliders on the engine-frame bolts, solid bar-ends, and a wear pad on the outside of the passenger foot rests. Aside from wearing down the footpegs, my bike was demonstrably protected in a slide even with a broken & bent slider.

All aside, if you've ever taken a real spill you'll know that protecting the bike fairings is the last thing to be worrying about afterward. I'm sure you already have full leathers and full length boots right?

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

i pretty much have the same bike and any slider that would actually do it's job of "saving the frame" you need to put a hole in your fairing anyhow to get to the actual frame. all those no-cut ones for our particular bike wouldn't help.

personally if it's to save the fairing, i wouldn't bother. seems redunant to cut a hole into something you're trying to preserve.

as for tires, i would try to get in on that gw/CGP sale in april to grab some michelin p2's for cheap

Plastics are made to be replaced.. Sliders are made to keep your frame and engine cases from being ground down.

I would never put a cage on a street bike, Ride your bike, try your best to keep it up, and just accept it if it goes down. A cage isn't for speed anyways.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

e31, yeah I got Full apline star boots, leather jacket and gloves. Some pants are on my list. I appreciate the feed back guys.

Im pretty much wanting to protect the engine covers and frame.. the fairings is a bonus as well since I mean their brand new and I really dont want to scuff them up of break them.

Does anybody have any suggestions on which frame slider I should go with for a 06 CBR600rr? Im a little skeptical myself cutting a hole in the fairing... Im one of those guys who measures, fucks up and makes a bigger unnecessary hole for no reason haha. Anybody done this before and could help out possibly sometime down the road? Beer included or pizza

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by Shlade
    Im a little skeptical myself cutting a hole in the fairing... Im one of those guys who measures, fucks up and makes a bigger unnecessary hole for no reason haha.
    1. Put the bike up on front and rear stands so it's upright and stable, fairings off.

2. Set up of those cheap DIY construction laser levels so it's sturdy and stable, and pointed directly at the centre of the bolt head you're going to use for the slider.

3. Without disturbing the bike or the laser, reinstall the side plastic, cover the area you're going to cut in green painters tape, and mark where the dot is.

4. Remove the fairing. Drill a tiny pilot hole and mock up the plastic again just to make sure you're in the right spot. Now is the time to catch any screw-ups.

5. Using a hole saw bit just slightly larger than the slide, cut your hole through the tape, from the painted side. Use low rpm and keep the plastic cool. Clean up the cut with a smooth file or fine sandpaper, remove tape, reinstall plastic.

It might be a little overkill, but I'm anal about nice clean cuts when wrecking nice new plastics.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 03-21-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Ive done em before, But I never know my schedule and Im not in town right now. Its really not that hard, think it out, measure, think some more about it, measure again and just go for it. Ive used woodcrafts a couple times.

Im sure someone can lend a hand though.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Shlade

Does anybody have any suggestions on which frame slider I should go with for a 06 CBR600rr? Im a little skeptical myself cutting a hole in the fairing... Im one of those guys who measures, fucks up and makes a bigger unnecessary hole for no reason haha. Anybody done this before and could help out possibly sometime down the road? Beer included or pizza
    You can have them installed at blackfoot for a maximum of $85. I understand where you're coming from and rather pay a pro to do it then risk fucking up my bike over $85.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Let your plastics take the impact of a fall, they're cheaper to fix than a bent frame.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Yeah honestly theres some things I trust myself doing, and then theres other things Id rather leave to somebody who has done it before and does work.

Almost rather fork up the money!!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by e31
    Coming from someone with experience, I'd rather have frame sliders than none. The extra couple inches of elevation help protect your leg in an event. The plastic really does not grab at all, so the only time where your bike may flip is if your wheel catches a curb or something. Lots of times the frame "slider" itself just breaks (it's plastic after all) and the only thing left protecting you & your bike is the elongated bolt.

Depending on your bike, a cage may be overkill. I've got sliders on the engine-frame bolts, solid bar-ends, and a wear pad on the outside of the passenger foot rests. Aside from wearing down the footpegs, my bike was demonstrably protected in a slide even with a broken & bent slider.

All aside, if you've ever taken a real spill you'll know that protecting the bike fairings is the last thing to be worrying about afterward. I'm sure you already have full leathers and full length boots right?
    This. I`ve seen some pretty nasty spills, and with sliders alone the bike was still in decent shape.

Just good sliders (and for the back of the bike too if they make any) along with good bar ends and that should do a very good job at protecting it. Unless the bike slides into a curb or a car (etc etc), then there wont be too much damage.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I have race railz on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride

Originally posted by SJW
    I have race railz on my bike.
    Just in case it falls off it's stands while it spends all summer parked safely in your garage?

My Ride

Originally posted by carson blocks

Just in case it falls off it's stands while it spends all summer parked safely in your garage?

Dude I can't WAIT until you have a child. This will be the only pristine 2006 gsxr around when it's 2026.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I tried looking for that one for the CBR!! Id love to get one like that..

NICE bike SJW!

My Ride

Originally posted by SJW

Dude I can't WAIT until you have a child. This will be the only pristine 2006 gsxr around when it's 2026.
    Barrett Jackson retirement plan?

My Ride

Barrett Jackson retirement plan?

Not the BJRP I was hoping for no.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

1. Put the bike up on front and rear stands so it's upright and stable, fairings off.

2. Set up of those cheap DIY construction laser levels so it's sturdy and stable, and pointed directly at the centre of the bolt head you're going to use for the slider.

3. Without disturbing the bike or the laser, reinstall the side plastic, cover the area you're going to cut in green painters tape, and mark where the dot is.

4. Remove the fairing. Drill a tiny pilot hole and mock up the plastic again just to make sure you're in the right spot. Now is the time to catch any screw-ups.

5. Using a hole saw bit just slightly larger than the slide, cut your hole through the tape, from the painted side. Use low rpm and keep the plastic cool. Clean up the cut with a smooth file or fine sandpaper, remove tape, reinstall plastic.

It might be a little overkill, but I'm anal about nice clean cuts when wrecking nice new plastics.
    I'm just going to start dropping my shit off at your house.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast