Quantcast
Question regarding registration to get a vehicle home. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding registration to get a vehicle home.

Default Question regarding registration to get a vehicle home.

I am looking at a vehicle out of town tomorrow night, and my problem is getting it home. I have a 1-800 for my insurance company that will put insurance on it even after hours, but what do you do about a plate? I can't get a Transit slip without insurance, but I am not sure if I will be purchasing the vehicle until I see it, so I won't have insurance prior to going. I am not trading/selling a vehicle at the same time.

Any ideas, or do I have to make two trips?

Thanks

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You can buy insurance on the vehicle before deciding on purchasing it. They'll fax or email you a temp pink slip. If you decide to not purchase the vehicle, cancel it right away and you won't get charged by insurance.

So yes, you can have insurance prior to going.

You won't be able to get "free" transit plate though... that'll cost you the $20-30 bucks.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

check with ur insurance, some cover buying a new car for a few days. and the bill of sale acts as temp registration for 7 days i think? so all you need is your registered lisence plate from your "old" car

There are two scenarios here.

1) You are intending on transferring a plate from another car to this new one:

That is the easiest solution. Your insurance company will cover the switch over of the car for 14 days from the date on the bill of sale. You take the plate off your old car, put it on the new one and you are legal for 14 days that way. You are required to have your bill of sale on you at all times.

2) You are going to be needing a new plate:

You would call the insurance company ahead of time like Rage suggested and that would cover the insurance on the car. The issue is the intransit permit or plate. For both the intransit permit and the plate, you require a bill of sale before it can be issued. My suggestion would be to get an offer to purchase from the dealer and have them sign it. Use that along with the insurance to obtain an intransit permit ($24.45). Once you've confirmed the purchase of the vehicle and have a proper bill of sale, go back to the registry and register it with a new plate.

The way turbotrip suggested is not legal in regards to the use of the licence plate

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Originally posted by rage2
    You can buy insurance on the vehicle before deciding on purchasing it. They'll fax or email you a temp pink slip. If you decide to not purchase the vehicle, cancel it right away and you won't get charged by insurance.

So yes, you can have insurance prior to going.

You won't be able to get "free" transit plate though... that'll cost you the $20-30 bucks.
    This. I bought a car out of Edmonton, once I went up and saw the car and decided I wanted to buy it, I called my insurance's 1-800 # and they faxed over a temp insurance slip. I believe it was good for 7 days.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by dannie

That is the easiest solution. Your insurance company will cover the switch over of the car for 14 days from the date on the bill of sale. You take the plate off your old car, put it on the new one and you are legal for 14 days that way. You are required to have your bill of sale on you at all times.

You would call the insurance company ahead of time like Rage suggested and that would cover the insurance on the car. The issue is the intransit permit or plate. For both the intransit permit and the plate, you require a bill of sale before it can be issued. My suggestion would be to get an offer to purchase from the dealer and have them sign it. Use that along with the insurance to obtain an intransit permit ($24.45). Once you've confirmed the purchase of the vehicle and have a proper bill of sale, go back to the registry and register it with a new plate.

The way turbotrip suggested is not legal in regards to the use of the licence plate
    Also worth mentioning, if you are using option 1, you need to carry the insurance and registration for your old vehicle, and you need proof of insurance on your new vehicle, whether that is proof you have 14 days of coverage on any vehicles you have bought, or whether that is an actual pink slip for that car doesn't matter, but you need proof that the new vehicle is insured as well as the old, and the registration for the old vehicle.

As taken from the motor vehicle administration act (circa 2000, is there a newer act I should be referencing??)

V41(1) This section applies to the registration of vehicles other than
    public vehicles to which section 40 applies.
    (2) When the ownership of a registered vehicle passes from the
    registered owner to any other person, whether by an act of the
    owner or by operation of law, the registration of the vehicle expires
    forthwith and the registered owner shall remove the licence plates
    from the vehicle and retain them in that owner's possession.
    (3) At any time during the registration year for which the licence
    plates are issued, the person to whom they are issued may apply to
    the Minister to use the plates on another vehicle to be registered in
    that person's name, if the application is made within 14 days after
    acquiring ownership of the other vehicle and, notwithstanding
    sections 34 and 51, that person may display the plates on the newly
    acquired vehicle and operate or permit another person to operate
    the vehicle on a highway during that 14-day period.
    70(1) The operator, owner or person having the care and control of
    a motor vehicle shall, on the request of a peace officer, produce a
    financial responsibility card for that vehicle.
    (2) When the motor vehicle is being operated
    (a) with licence plates issued pursuant to section 48,
    (b) by an appraiser who has custody of the vehicle for the
    purpose of appraisal,
    (c) by a mechanic who has custody of the vehicle for the
    purpose of repairs, or
    (d) by the proprietor of or an employee of a service station
    who has, on behalf of the service station, the custody of a
    motor vehicle in the course of service station business
    duties relating to the vehicle,
    the peace officer shall give the operator, owner or person having
    the care and control of the vehicle reasonable time within which to
    produce the financial responsibility card.
    (3) When a newly acquired motor vehicle is being operated with
    licence plates issued to another motor vehicle pursuant to section
    41(3), and if the operator, owner or person having the care and
    control of the vehicle produces
    (a) proof of the purchase, within the immediately preceding
    14 days, of the newly acquired vehicle, and
    (b) a financial responsibility card for the vehicle to which the
    licence plates are issued,
    the peace officer shall give the operator, owner or person having
    the care and control of the vehicle reasonable time within which to
    produce a financial responsibility card for the newly acquired
    vehicle.
    source:
    http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/sta...00-c-m-23.html
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Almost true (assuming the OP is buying an Alberta car) by Alberta law you do not need a bill of sale if the car is an Alberta registered vehicle and being moved within Alberta to obtain an intransit temp registration. If the OP is buying from out of province or is buying in AB and leaving AB before registering then he would need a BOS to get an in transit permit.

OP if I were you and you only want to make one trip then call up your insurance co. Add the vehicle to your policy (takes less than 20mins) get them to email you a copy, go to your nearest registry that will issue in transits, pay the 25$ (or whatever it was, I don't remember) and get the temp sheet, if you don't by the car simply cancel your insurance, pay the nominal 1 day fee or whatever they will charge you and go back and cancel the in transit.

But honestly if it's not too far away I would make 2 trips, if you go to the effort of setting everything up it might sway your decision on the car

@ Zero... you can still reference that, but the most up to date info comes from the tsa and is updated much quicker than the MVA http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

edit: I should be a little clearer. Start with the TSA because it gets updated much faster than the MVA. I'm not sure who is in charge of keeping the documents up to date, but I have found that the MVA is usually behind at least a few weeks on updates. When you click on the canlii link (it's the one I always use because it comes up first), there is a link to the Queens Printer with the most up to date version which includes any amendments. So, always check that one over the one on the canlii site.

@ J-Hop... yes, you are correct. If the vehicle is from within Alberta and is staying within Alberta, a bill of sale is not mandatory because Registries assumes a bill of sale has been shown to the insurance company (this policy is under review currently). The issue is that 99% of intransits are people moving vehicles between provinces which is why they will generally ask for a copy of the bill of sale
    Last edited by dannie; 03-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Talked to insurance again, guess they are going to issue me a 24hour pink card, if the deal flops just tear it up and be done with it. This will allow me a transit.

Thanks again for all the replies!
    Last edited by Skrilla; 03-20-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Scenario : am buying a car from Edmonton. Can the license plate from my present vehicle be used for the day when I am driving it to Calgary ?

^ Only if you are intending on keeping that old plate on the new car. If not, legally no

Originally posted by Danny Meehan
    Scenario : am buying a car from Edmonton. Can the license plate from my present vehicle be used for the day when I am driving it to Calgary ?
    Legally you shouldn't but realistically you can. I've done it dozens of times and been pulled over many times with no issues

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Have insurance,

Plate does not have to be registered to the vehicle for 14 days.

Ive never had issues as long as Ive had insurance.

Thank you guys

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by Zero102

Also worth mentioning, if you are using option 1, you need to carry the insurance and registration for your old vehicle, and you need proof of insurance on your new vehicle, whether that is proof you have 14 days of coverage on any vehicles you have bought, or whether that is an actual pink slip for that car doesn't matter, but you need proof that the new vehicle is insured as well as the old, and the registration for the old vehicle.

As taken from the motor vehicle administration act (circa 2000, is there a newer act I should be referencing??)

source:
    http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/sta...00-c-m-23.html
    When you purchase another vehicle, within that 14 day period you have to carry the registration for your previous vehicle(the one the plate is coming off of) and the insurance slip for that vehicle, that reg and insurange will cover the new vehicle until you transfer it over . ou don't need an insurance card for the new vehicle within that 14 day period. I went threw this with my insurance company and they told me flat out to carry my reg and insurance for the old car and the bill of sale for the new car. that was all that is needed.

Originally posted by johnboy27

When you purchase another vehicle, within that 14 day period you have to carry the registration for your previous vehicle(the one the plate is coming off of) and the insurance slip for that vehicle, that reg and insurange will cover the new vehicle until you transfer it over . ou don't need an insurance card for the new vehicle within that 14 day period. I went threw this with my insurance company and they told me flat out to carry my reg and insurance for the old car and the bill of sale for the new car. that was all that is needed.
    You are correct IF you are transferring a Licence plate from one car to another. The problem is that most people are mislead about the legalities behind it.

If you have an old car and have bought a new car and are going to be using the plate off the old car on the new one, yes. You have a 14 day grace period for your plates and insurance.

If you've bought a new car and take the plate off your old car to bring it home and then plan on going to the registry to get a new plate for the new car... That is not legal. They key to the 14 day rule is that you Have to be transferring a valid plate from one car to another.

Don't get me wrong here, people do it all the time. I know that I wouldn't want to get the tickets for it. Improper use of a plate and an impounded car isn't something that I'd wanna chance.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

You are correct IF you are transferring a Licence plate from one car to another. The problem is that most people are mislead about the legalities behind it.

If you have an old car and have bought a new car and are going to be using the plate off the old car on the new one, yes. You have a 14 day grace period for your plates and insurance.

If you've bought a new car and take the plate off your old car to bring it home and then plan on going to the registry to get a new plate for the new car... That is not legal. They key to the 14 day rule is that you Have to be transferring a valid plate from one car to another.

Don't get me wrong here, people do it all the time. I know that I wouldn't want to get the tickets for it. Improper use of a plate and an impounded car isn't something that I'd wanna chance.
    Yes, that's what I was getting at. Zero was saying you needed to get insurance on the vehicle as well as carrying your old paper and reg with the newly aquired vehicle.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

So lets assume for the sake of arguement I buy a different vehicle. I take the plate off my current vehicle and put it on the newly acquired vehicle for the purpose of driving it home. Let's also assume I've carried with me the registration & insurance paperwork from the original vehicle and the bill of sale for the new vehicle. If I get stopped on the way home, how is the cop supposed to know my intentions for the old vehicle? If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that this is only legal if my intentions are to get rid of my original vehicle?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by johnboy27

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Zero was saying you needed to get insurance on the vehicle as well as carrying your old paper and reg with the newly aquired vehicle.
    It is not what I am saying, it is what the law says. Now, if you consult the Alberta Standard Automobile Insurance Policy:
    AUTOMOBILE DEFINED
    In this policy except where stated to the contrary the words "the automobile" mean:
    Under sections A (Third Party Liability), B (Accident Benefits), C (Loss of or Damage to Insured Automobile)
    (a) The Described Automobile - an automobile, trailer or semi-trailer specifically described in the Policy or within the description of insured automobiles set forth therein;
    (b) A Newly Acquired Automobile - an automobile, ownership of which is acquired by the insured and, within fourteen days following the date of its delivery to him, notified to the Insurer in respect of which the insured has no other valid insurance, if either it replaces an automobile described in the application or the Insurer insures (in respect of the section or subsection of the Insuring Agreements under which claim is made) all automobiles owned by the Insured at such delivery date and inrespect of which the Insured pays any additional premium requires; provided however, that insurance hereunder shall not apply if the insired is engaged in the business of selling automobiles;
    It says that IF all your vehicles are insured with a single company, that company is liable for any newly acquired vehicles so long as they are notified within 14 days of purchase, however they also have the right to charge an additional premium for this if they please. Most companies do not charge anything extra so long as you will be adding the car to your policy or replacing a car with it.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

So lets assume for the sake of arguement I buy a different vehicle. I take the plate off my current vehicle and put it on the newly acquired vehicle for the purpose of driving it home. Let's also assume I've carried with me the registration & insurance paperwork from the original vehicle and the bill of sale for the new vehicle. If I get stopped on the way home, how is the cop supposed to know my intentions for the old vehicle? If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that this is only legal if my intentions are to get rid of my original vehicle?

Yes, this is where the 2 things are slightly at odds - Your insurance is valid if you buy the car so long as you will be adding it to your policy OR replacing a vehicle. Your registration is valid ONLY IF you are replacing the vehicle the license plate is issued to with the vehicle you have bought.

How do they know what you plan on doing? Not sure, but if they issue you a ticket for no registration and you want to claim that exemption you better be able to prove that you replaced your car with the new one

I think they generally give you the benefit of the doubt that you are replacing your old vehicle with the new, I have used this exemption several times and have been pulled over twice during those times (license plate from a 1985 subaru GL wagon on a porsche 944 probably looked a little suspicious) and they have always taken my word for it and sent me on my way without any trouble. Of course, I do always carry the relevant section from the MVAA, ASAA, a copy of my policy and the paperwork from my previous vehicle, and have presented the whole stack to them with the relevant sections highlighted just in case the officer is not familliar with the relevant laws.

**EDIT**
    Forgot to link my source for the above quote:
    http://www.finance.alberta.ca/public...olicy_2007.pdf
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

@ masked bandit.... Yup, you got it. The officer will ask you outright. I know of two districts that have a mandate that states when this scenario happens, they are to retrieve the proof of transfer from cpic two weeks later and make sure it's done. If its not, that officer is to issue the ticket.

I'd have to double check policy on whether the wording is "intend" to use or "will" use.

** as an exmple of this - there is a guy who was pulled over in his new high end sports car. Gets asked for his documentation and pulls out the 14 day rule and hands the officer all the proper documents. Looks legit at the beginning but notices the info is 2 days past the 14 days. Guy whips out 6 bills of sale, each dated 2 weeks apart (dumbass btw). Long story short, he was creating multiple fraudulent bills of sale for about a year so that he could avoid having the insurance co run an MVR and see he had a few nasty tickets. He didn't want to pay the higher premium.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast